metal detector installation

NelleBelle

So I feel this bears pointing out now, in all seriousness, especially in the wake of Brussels: by installing metal detectors and thus creating a bottleneck/longer line than there currently is to get through the security check points, how is that to stop/deter someone from rolling up with a stroller full of explosives and detonating outside where everyone is waiting? It just doesn't do really anything to make me feel safer. I mean, after metal detecters, will they go the route of sporting events and only allow clear bags into the park?? Or are we going to set up TSA-style X-ray machines where we actually X-ray bags instead of doing a haphazard/perfunctory search of the bags (hello...selfie-sticks still making an appearance in the parks?)

UncleMike101

So I feel this bears pointing out now, in all seriousness, especially in the wake of Brussels: by installing metal detectors and thus creating a bottleneck/longer line than there currently is to get through the security check points, how is that to stop/deter someone from rolling up with a stroller full of explosives and detonating outside where everyone is waiting? It just doesn't do really anything to make me feel safer. I mean, after metal detecters, will they go the route of sporting events and only allow clear bags into the park?? Or are we going to set up TSA-style X-ray machines where we actually X-ray bags instead of doing a haphazard/perfunctory search of the bags (hello...selfie-sticks still making an appearance in the parks?)
Yup......
I've worked many security details and the biggest problem that I see at places like WDW, sporting events, and political events, is that the very security measures that they impose actually give someone Hell bent on causing terror a perfect time and place to commit their cowardly acts. A homicide bomber has a captive crowd to slaughter at the bottlenecks created by security checks. And I'm sure that fact has been noted by our enemies.
The terrorists can win because we are forced to line up like sheep going to the slaughter so the Security providers can put on a show intended to make us feel good.
The only way such an approach can be effective would be to make everyone strip naked and carry nothing but a Magic Band into the parks.
Ain't gonna happen!!!
upload_2016-3-25_11-4-44.jpeg

I'm sure, or at least I hope, there are Security people who've received extensive training in profiling techniques and are placed strategically at the park entrances.
They are in a much better position to stop a terrorist than the bag checkers.

EOD K9

I was in Epcot and MK on Thursday and was "randomly selected" for secondary screening at MK. Of course, the skinny guy with the cop haircut who was watching his surroundings was the one "randomly" selected. Once the security host advised me, I asked her what she wanted out of my pockets, did so, and was through in less than a minute. It wasn't a big deal.

UncleMike101

I was in Epcot and MK on Thursday and was "randomly selected" for secondary screening at MK. Of course, the skinny guy with the cop haircut who was watching his surroundings was the one "randomly" selected. Once the security host advised me, I asked her what she wanted out of my pockets, did so, and was through in less than a minute. It wasn't a big deal.
You were likely picked because you didn't look like a "problem" person. ;)

DManRightHere

I guess it's still better than nothing. Either way there are crowds trying to get into the park. This is really just to keep people with guns out of the park.

The really sad part is an armed gunman could potentially fatally maim more people than the typical backpack bombs.

UncleMike101

I guess it's still better than nothing. Either way there are crowds trying to get into the park. This is really just to keep people with guns out of the park.

The really sad part is an armed gunman could potentially fatally maim more people than the typical backpack bombs.
I won't climb up on my soap box but I'd MUCH rather confront an armed person as opposed to someone with a bomb strapped on.
An LEO can't even shoot the bomber for fear of setting off the explosives and being the cause of innocent deaths.
There are discussions in security circles over the real possibility that the two ***holes in Brussels had "Dead man" switches wired to their explosives in which case shooting them would just have set off the bombs a bit earlier but with similar results to the innocent victims around them.

UncleMike101

You have to select a non problem person every so often so you can say you aren't profiling anyone.
Yup, I remember the training well.
I expect to be "randomly" selected during our trip to The World in May since I didn't shed "The look" when I retired.
My Wife says I need to "scruff up" a little to blend in better. :facepalm:

DisneyCane

Yup......
I've worked many security details and the biggest problem that I see at places like WDW, sporting events, and political events, is that the very security measures that they impose actually give someone Hell bent on causing terror a perfect time and place to commit their cowardly acts.

Security at sporting events and concerts is much more effective (and probably designed for) in preventing drunken shoving matches from becoming homicides more than to prevent terrorism. If a terrorist wants to kill a bunch of people and is willing to die doing it, there is not much you can do. At Disney, there would probably be less casualties if a terrorist set off a bomb on Main Street vs. setting one off at the security checkpoint.

Even with the TSA, the goal is to keep planes from being blown up or used as missiles. The goal isn't to prevent an airport bombing like Brussels because the terrorist can set his bomb off in the security maze and kill hundreds.

NelleBelle

Ugh..things I now wish I didn't have added to my brain when it should be on vacation :confused: But I guess that's the whole point of "terrorism."

Scuttle

As an avid supporter of the 4th amendment I totally concur. At some point we all have to realize there is an inherent risk when we walk out of our house that something might happen. It's part of living in a free society. I also don't think the terrorists care if they cause a mass shooting or explosion in the front of the park or inside the park. They know either way the media will treat it the same.

Matt_Black

how is that to stop/deter someone from rolling up with a stroller full of explosives and detonating outside where everyone is waiting?

Why do people insist on giving the terrorists ideas in these sorts of threads? At least, give them BAD ideas.

"What's to stop terrorists from lobbing handfuls of delicious hummus at guests at the entrance line?!? Nobody will see it coming!"

Lirael

and detonating outside where everyone is waiting?
I dont really understand the minds of terrorists but maybe exploding outside a park wouldnt be as symbolic to them? Even if lives were lost there might still be a feeling of 'failure' because they were deterred from destroying the park itself. That said, I dont think terrorists are coming to wdw

FigmentLover6

Living near Six Flags Great America and having passes we have to go through metal detectors every time we visit the park. Its mandatory for everyone. I find that it is not a big deal and have gotten familiar with it. We will be at WDW in June and wouldn't at all be offended if picked randomly. I guess you could say its part of my normal summer at home.

ssreward

Living near Six Flags Great America and having passes we have to go through metal detectors every time we visit the park. Its mandatory for everyone. I find that it is not a big deal and have gotten familiar with it. We will be at WDW in June and wouldn't at all be offended if picked randomly. I guess you could say its part of my normal summer at home.
Those metal detectors once got a friend arrested who refused to believe aluminum was a metal, lol...and now that I'm forced to recall how long ago that was (90's), I'm sorta surprised it's just coming up in WDW now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom