Meryl Streep Blasts Walt Disney at National Board of Review Dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairstow

First off I never said it was. I said Walt thought it would be. Check my original post. Disney doesn't dare show it because the NCAAP has said they will sue every time. It is still shown over seas quiet often. Also have you see song of the south.

The NAACP has threatened to sue Disney if they distribute Song of the South in North America?
On what grounds?

Actually the United States Government asked to this as part of a propaganda gimmick to raise support again Germany.

I think Disney's most important contribution to the War effort, and much of American military policy since then was this:

GrumpyFan

And No was not part of Walt's vocabulary?

He was trying to keep a small studio in operation during a time when he had lost half of his staff to the war. So, he looked for ways to fund his ongoing projects and pay the remaining employees (some of them women and minorities) during a time when demand for movies was down. I should also add that he was a patriot and wanted to help the war effort, and part of his saying yes to this was his contribution.

Last edited:

Voxel

President of Progress City
And No was not part of Walt's vocabulary?
When your war, and your government ask for you to do something you did it back then. It wasn't a question of morality. You have be remember that Walt was very supportive of country. He attempted to enlist in WWI but had to become a ambulance drive instead after the war in France. Famously said ask not what your country can do for you but what can you do for your country. The cartoon sold war bounds which help provide much necessary supplies to troops.

The NAACP has threatened to sue Disney if they distribute Song of the South in North America?
On what grounds?

I think Disney's most important contribution to the War effort, and much of American military policy since then was this:

Maybe sue is the wrong word. ( I am a historian/programmer, legality is not my strongest suit) But they have threaten action both legal and not against the film.

Californian Elitist

Within the context of American animation at the time, it is very, very tame. Other studios had far more racist depictions of African American. Take for example Warner Brothers' Censored Eleven Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies (Warners was the Jewish animation studio btw) or Walter Lanz's "Scrub Me Mama With A Boogie Beat" which features this racist chestnut.
Scrub_Me_Mama_watermelon.JPG

This can't be compared to Song of the South, in my opinion. The portrayal of blacks as happy, toe-tapping, singing individuals in the 19th century is wrong. It's not a matter of stereotypes, like the photo above, but a matter of untruths. It's disrespectful.

Both are wrong. Disney made stereotypical and racist cartoon shorts as well. Not to mention books, one of them repeatedly using the "N" word. Warner Bros. wasn't the only one.

Voxel

I think this person says it best about Song of the South: "I am probably against the racism depicted in this film, seeing as how some people who have seen it would have a problem with this film for a reason..., however, after seeing it, and I won't explain how, or why, I feel that I am actually NOT against the movie all at once. I don't blame Disney for having reasons, difficulty, or whatever for not wanting to release this film, but this has something in common with OTHER movies, be they animated, or live-action, and it's the fact that what is in this movie is to reflect a part of our history that, as Whoopi Goldberg said in Volume 2 of the Tom & Jerry Spotlight Collection DVD set, we can't ignore, nor SHOULD we ignore it. so if this movie does not deserve to share that same spotlight with other films released on DVD and/or Blu-Ray that might depict possible racism, than I don't know what does. this film maybe controversial, but it's still considered a classic at the same time."

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Within the context of American animation at the time, it is very, very tame. Other studios had far more racist depictions of African American. Take for example Warner Brothers' Censored Eleven Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies (Warners was the Jewish animation studio btw) or Walter Lanz's "Scrub Me Mama With A Boogie Beat" which features this racist chestnut.
Scrub_Me_Mama_watermelon.JPG

But Meryl's point wasn't that he or others did things like this, it was how Walt was portrayed in Mr. Banks.
Like I said I have no problem with her saying what she did, it was just where she chose to say it. Walt was an amazingly creative man, but he did a lot of things in an era that he should not have. The letter she read, I doubt that was the only one he ever wrote to a woman in that tone. Given what her mother did as a profession I believe she had some insight to Walt. I look at the opportunities for professions for the Disney daughters that never were, if only the man educated the girls and took them under his wing, he might have been different. But he was the same in the home and in business.

Voxel

Also I find the NCAAP review of Song of the South interesting. They recognize and admired that Disney was trying to avoid stepping on the toes of the North and the South, but they found their biggest issue in the Share croppers singing "Jump down turn around Pick a bail of cotton" (Something I sing today still) and that Uncle Remus had a good relationship with the White Farm owner. Other then that the NCAAP at the time had no issues with the film and thought that it was impressive.

Bairstow

This can't be compared to Song of the South, in my opinion. The portrayal of blacks as happy, toe-tapping, singing individuals in the 19th century is wrong. It's not a matter of stereotypes, like the photo above, but a matter of untruths. It's disrespectful.

In fairness, aren't most people in Disney movies rather happy, toe-tapping, and singing?

Gabe1

When your war, and your government ask for you to do something you did it back then. It wasn't a question of morality. You have be remember that Walt was very supportive of country. He attempted to enlist in WWI but had to become a ambulance drive instead after the war in France. Famously said ask not what your country can do for you but what can you do for your country.

I don't buy into that I am not that malleable. I seem to remember JFK saying ask not what your country can do for you but what can you do for your country. Are you saying JFK lifted that from Walt Disney?

Gabe1

He was trying to keep a small studio in operation during a time when he had lost half of his staff to the war. So, he looked for ways to fund his ongoing projects and pay the remaining employees (some of them women and minorities) during a time when demand for movies was down. I should also add that he was a patriot and wanted to help the war effort, and part of his saying yes to this was his contribution.

Yep, Walt was always about the money, you're right.

Voxel

I don't buy into that I am not that malleable. I seem to remember JFK saying ask not what your country can do for you but what can you do for your country. Are you saying JFK lifted that from Walt Disney?
Not at all I was just tying in a famous quote to show off that. And just because you have a backbone doesn't mean every person does. Especially at a time when if you denied the government they will drive you into the ground. It is still like that in the government. If you rub someone the wrong way your career future in that branch or government is in jeopardy. During this time the government was already starting to begin its infamous crack down on communist. If you said no to the government you brought attention to yourself in a bad way, When might never have gotten Disney World or Disneyland.

Yes, but to portray a 19th century African American the same is wrong. As an African American myself, I understand why some of us don't like it. For the most part, I like Song of the South, but the incorrect portrayal rubs me the wrong way a little.
I am part-African American, I am more rubbed by the fact that it gets ignored as a technical masterpiece of film. Everything in Mary Poppins was done in Song of the South 20 years before. I think trying to hide it under the carpet makes the film much worst then it is (and yes there are parts that can/are offensive).

GrumpyFan

Yep, Walt was always about the money, you're right.

Of course I'm right. Isn't that the goal of a business? To make money?
Without money, you can't produce product, pay bills or employees.
Why is this such a difficult thing for some people to understand? And why do those same people have to vilify it?

But, I think you're wrong about it being all about the money for him. He himself said, "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." If I remember correctly, he did it for his daughters and others, "We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together". And, he put everything he had on the line for both Disneyland and the studio he built. You can't honestly say he just did it for the money, not with that kind of drive and determination.

Last edited:

Bairstow

Yes, but to portray a 19th century African American the same is wrong. As an African American myself, I understand why some of us don't like it. For the most part, I like Song of the South, but the incorrect portrayal rubs me the wrong way a little.

What is the correct way to portray African Americans in the post-war 19th century?

Californian Elitist

I am part-African American, I am more rubbed by the fact that it gets ignored as a technical masterpiece of film. Everything in Mary Poppins was done in Song of the South 20 years before. I think trying to hide it under the carpet makes the film much worst then it is (and yes there are parts that can/are offensive).

The NAACP would have a fit if Disney ever tried to release Song of the South. They already boycotted Splash Mountain when it first opened at Disneyland in the 80's. I'm sure Disney doesn't want that again.

Fantasia is also a masterpiece, but the stereotypical centaur was edited out. If they did that with Song of the South, we wouldn't have the film at all haha.

Voxel

Of course I'm right. Isn't that the goal of a business? To make money?
Without money, you can't produce product, pay bills or employees.
Why is this such a difficult thing for some people to understand? And why do those same people have to vilify it?
Exactly, but being about money doesn't make you a bad person. I think Carnegie principles of life say it best. Spend 1/3 of your life learning as much as you can, spend 1/3 of your life making as much as you can, spend the last 1/3 of your life giving away as much as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom