Meryl Streep Blasts Walt Disney at National Board of Review Dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voxel

President of Progress City
We as a society do it all the time for the alive and dead. Walt should not be untouchable just because the behavior and business practices went unchallenged in that era. The first one that comes to mind is JFK, a very unique professional life or President Clinton, also had a unique view of professional women. Hugh Hefner, a highly educated professional magnet had his own views too on women in business.

Walt considered a progress thinking man could have easily followed the lead of the Ford Corp, he just chose not to, it wasn't like it wasn't being done by progressive corporations. Easily Ford, one of the most progressive companies around that had hiring policies in the 40's of non discrimination policies for race, color, national origin or creed and in the mid 40's added gender to that. They had more people of color in the work force. Twenty years prior (1920) Ford did what Disney and Mrs. Obama is grandstanding about now, hiring veterans, but Ford went further creating positions to hire specifically the disabled veterans. I find it annoying when it is accepted as acceptable because everyone was doing it. No they were not. Some men running huge corporations had the good sense to believe in equality for all. Ford should be remembered even if he is dead for his progressive employment practices. It is OK to give Walt kudos for his accomplishes and ding him for his failings even if he is dead.
Random Fact: Except for the fact that Ford was an know Anti-Semite and received one of the highest honors given to a civilian by Hitler. My mom use to manage a Ford Museum. He was very charitable to some people, others no so much. But it was a cultural and country view at the time.
People also seem to forget that Thanks to a Disney Film (one that Walt thought would be his greatest achievement) got the Oscars to give their first award to an African American Actor. And we can never forget Harriet Burns :D

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Comparing Disney Co. to Ford is like apples and oranges. Different businesses, different markets, different product development, different skillsets, etc. etc. There's just no comparison.

Again, not trying to say one is better than the other, I just don't understand the point of the statement. What was she trying to prove? What are YOU trying to prove? If it's that Ford was more charitable with his employees, then ok, I agree with you. But, still what's the point? Disney was/is evil because they're a big, bad money-sucking corporation? Ok, and?

Nope. Very much the same. Large corporations with very different policies for hiring practices and leadership roles. Walt could have put a woman or an African American, Asian, disabled vet etc easily into a management role. He just chose not to. That isn't an apple or an orange that was all on Walt.

Gabe1

People also seem to forget that Thanks to a Disney Film (one that Walt thought would be his greatest achievement) got the Oscars to give their first award to an African American Actor. And we can never forget Harriet Burns :D

Hmmm....People also seem to forget that thanks to Disney Film we also got Song of the South lets try and pick up that little number at your local Target on DVD.

Californian Elitist

Random Fact: Except for the fact that Ford was an know Anti-Semite and received one of the highest honors given to a civilian by Hitler. My mom use to manage a Ford Museum. He was very charitable to some people, others no so much. But it was a cultural and country view at the time.

Actors and actresses receive Oscars because of their performances, not because of the movies themselves.

Voxel

Actors and actresses receive Oscars because of their performances, not because of the movies themselves.
Yes, but this actor spent most of his career with Disney and got his chance through disney.

Hmmm....People also seem to forget that thanks to Disney Film we also got Song of the South lets try and pick up that little number at your local Target on DVD.
Song of the South is the film I was talking about ;)

Voxel

Also Song of the South is no where as offensive as everyone makes it out to be. IF you haven't seen it I would recommend it. I grew up with the film and having rewatched it the other week I still don't find anything wrong with it. Many other nations also show this film on Cable (BBC commonly show its with no problems).

Californian Elitist

Also Song of the South is no where as offensive as everyone makes it out to be. IF you haven't seen it I would recommend it. I grew up with the film and having rewatched it the other week I still don't find anything wrong with it. Many other nations also show this film on Cable (BBC commonly show its with no problems).

Some people find it offensive because it incorrectly portrays African Americans during the 19th century.

Gabe1

Yes, but this actor spent most of his career with Disney and got his chance through disney.

Song of the South is the film I was talking about ;)

lol. Song of the South one of Walt's greatest achievements??? Good One.

So great that Disney would not dare distribute the film on DVD or show it on ABC Family. But I get where you are coming from, unfortunately some fans would consider Song of the South one of Walt's greatest achievements, it makes me cringe. But Walt was the type of person to create a film like that.

Voxel

So great that Disney would not dare distribute the film on DVD or show it on ABC Family. But I get where you are coming from, unfortunately some fans would consider Song of the South one of Walt's greatest achievements, it makes me cringe. But Walt was the type of person to create a film like that.
First off I never said it was. I said Walt thought it would be. Check my original post. Disney doesn't dare show it because the NCAAP has said they will sue every time. It is still shown over seas quiet often. Also have you see song of the south.

Some people find it offensive because it incorrectly portrays African Americans during the 19th century.
I find issues with this. I grew up with the Gullah people who were still very close to their roots and still tell the tales their ancestors told when they were slaves. I spent one summer helping them reclaim one of their family plots that the woods have over grown and I asked them about it. And yes while they said a few slaves owners were terrible people, many of them treat them well, even after the end of slavery. Many of these families are still friends with the old white families. (I am in no way saying that slavery was good, I was just taught by Gullah speaking people that it was always as bad as history tells us). Also Song of the South find its basis in the Tales of Uncle Remus are about a friendly slave teaching kids morals through the stories they were taught (The brer stories are real stories taught by slaves to their families). The film is showing that. Is it so offensive to find a slave who was recently freed (as in the film) happy and teaching stories to a white kid. IF anything that's a positive message. Its show tollerance, by allow white kids learn from an African American.

Voxel

Sorry misread that for a moment :)

Gabe1

Random Fact: Except for the fact that Ford was an know Anti-Semite and received one of the highest honors given to a civilian by Hitler. My mom use to manage a Ford Museum. He was very charitable to some people, others no so much. But it was a cultural and country view at :Dthe time.
s

Ford believed doing business with Germany between WWI & WW2 would keep the countries from escalating to war again. Walt, well he had a different way of capitalizing.

Ducknazi_6196.jpg
daffy-duck-nazi_7790.jpg
images
images
images

the.dreamfinder

Within the context of American animation at the time, it is very, very tame. Other studios had far more racist depictions of African American. Take for example Warner Brothers' Censored Eleven Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies (Warners was the Jewish animation studio btw) or Walter Lanz's "Scrub Me Mama With A Boogie Beat" which features this racist chestnut.
Scrub_Me_Mama_watermelon.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom