Mermaid Lagoon Coming to MK!!!?????

tirian

In my opinion...

The MK's day has come.

Refurbishments are being rolled out across the entire park to restore the magic. MK management hasn't been ignoring this; to the contrary, everyone I've spoken to knows that the MK needs to be updated and is working very hard to do so. Thus, the train station was rebuilt, IaSW was gutted and restored (people forget that so quickly!), the area around PotC was redesigned (and has more coming), and an undisclosed--but huge--sum of money was recently budgeted to refurbish major areas of the park. Even the area surrounding Pooh's Play Place received new cement, and the Arabian Bazaar area of Adventureland has the same themed walkways as areas of Animal Kingdom.

With the exception of Tomorrowland, the MK hasn't received sweeping changes because of the headache involved in refurbishing the most visited theme park on earth. TDL hits high attendance numbers, but no theme park comes close to the steady stream at the MK. Many people also forget that Florida's Fantasyland was refurbished, but much of the delicate buildings couldn't be constructed due to the weather conditions in Orlando. TDL has the exact same Medieval fair theme as WDW because of the weather in Japan.

The MK needs a refurbishment, and it's finally getting it; but don't look at DL and think that it has always been pristine. To the contrary, DL was falling apart before its 50th anniversary restoration. The Enchanted Tiki Room had to be razed and the castle was so neglected that it had to be completely covered with scaffolding. Disney did a lot more than repaint it. The Magic Kingdom was immensely superior to its West Coast sister in both refurbishments and show quality before the 50th celebration, and Florida still has better CMs. (For the most part, WDW management treats its CMs better than Disneyland's.) Disneyland's updates, including the New Fantasyland from the early 1980s, were great; but DL is much less expensive to rebuild than the MK.

MK managers aren't letting everything fall apart "as long as money rolls in"; they know better than that. Furthermore, unlike Team Disney Anaheim, the majority of executives in Team Disney Orlando actually come from the parks and still enjoy visiting them. I know that WDW doesn't do as many over-the-top events at the MK as DL does, but the reasoning is due more to operations than money.

The Magic Kingdom has already rebuilt the train station and IaSW; all of Main Street will be refurbished; the castle is being completely repainted because they want to, since the 50th anniversary decorations really did not require a complete overhaul; and little by little, the entire park will be rebuilt. An E-ticket is on its way, Space Mountain will finally be refurbished, and more little details (like the new signage for PotC) are being brought in.

No one has abandoned the MK.

So far, the majority of previous posts have either ignored the MK's superior qualities (such as its insulation from the real world) and demonized it, or have defended it with rabid fanboy-ism. Everyone needs to relax. :)

P.S. If you actually read through my entire post, congratulations! Even I think it's too long.

Lee

Adventurer
Good post Tirian.

I agree that much is currenly being done/in the works for MK...that's great.

I still think 10+ years between e-tickets is too long.
I still think they should have refurbed Space, Mansion, and JC before now.

tirian

You're absolutely right.

My scariest ride EVER was riding Space Mountain completely alone a few months ago. No one else was in the rocket with me.

I thought I was going to shake and bounce off the track. :lol:

Computer Magic

I have nothing to add....but I am really enjoying this thread. A lot of good points from all sides :wave:

I just returned from a great Disney vacation.

that is all :sohappy:

darthjohnny

Mermaid Lagoon would NOT fit in to the Studios, a full fledged ToonTown would fit in to the Studios more than it would at MK.

There is already a Little Mermaid meet and greet in Fantasyland. They probably will just expand that to fit in the Mermaid Lagoon. So it would indeed fit. :)

P.S.
-Yay! My 950th post. Only 50 more to go before the big 1000! :D

Lewis Carroll

Account Suspended
In my opinion...

The MK's day has come.

Refurbishments are being rolled out across the entire park to restore the magic. MK management hasn't been ignoring this; to the contrary, everyone I've spoken to knows that the MK needs to be updated and is working very hard to do so. Thus, the train station was rebuilt, IaSW was gutted and restored (people forget that so quickly!), the area around PotC was redesigned (and has more coming), and an undisclosed--but huge--sum of money was recently budgeted to refurbish major areas of the park. Even the area surrounding Pooh's Play Place received new cement, and the Arabian Bazaar area of Adventureland has the same themed walkways as areas of Animal Kingdom.

With the exception of Tomorrowland, the MK hasn't received sweeping changes because of the headache involved in refurbishing the most visited theme park on earth. TDL hits high attendance numbers, but no theme park comes close to the steady stream at the MK. Many people also forget that Florida's Fantasyland was refurbished, but much of the delicate buildings couldn't be constructed due to the weather conditions in Orlando. TDL has the exact same Medieval fair theme as WDW because of the weather in Japan.

The MK needs a refurbishment, and it's finally getting it; but don't look at DL and think that it has always been pristine. To the contrary, DL was falling apart before its 50th anniversary restoration. The Enchanted Tiki Room had to be razed and the castle was so neglected that it had to be completely covered with scaffolding. Disney did a lot more than repaint it. The Magic Kingdom was immensely superior to its West Coast sister in both refurbishments and show quality before the 50th celebration, and Florida still has better CMs. (For the most part, WDW management treats its CMs better than Disneyland's.) Disneyland's updates, including the New Fantasyland from the early 1980s, were great; but DL is much less expensive to rebuild than the MK.

MK managers aren't letting everything fall apart "as long as money rolls in"; they know better than that. Furthermore, unlike Team Disney Anaheim, the majority of executives in Team Disney Orlando actually come from the parks and still enjoy visiting them. I know that WDW doesn't do as many over-the-top events at the MK as DL does, but the reasoning is due more to operations than money.

The Magic Kingdom has already rebuilt the train station and IaSW; all of Main Street will be refurbished; the castle is being completely repainted because they want to, since the 50th anniversary decorations really did not require a complete overhaul; and little by little, the entire park will be rebuilt. An E-ticket is on its way, Space Mountain will finally be refurbished, and more little details (like the new signage for PotC) are being brought in.

So far, the majority of previous posts have either ignored the MK's superior qualities (such as its insulation from the real world) and demonized it, or have defended it with rabid fanboy-ism. Everyone needs to relax. :)

P.S. If you actually read through my entire post, congratulations! Even I think it's too long.

Actually Tirian its not just the MK. Disneyland is right now experincing a rebirth like never before including a completle retransformation of tomorrowland back to splendor! I think this has more to do with the new head management of Disney. Specifically the wishes of John Lasseter who is no doubt aware that something was seriously wrong with the parks these past ten years. Good things are coming, that there is no doubt!

RSoxNo1

I just think that this would be a beautiful addition to the back of Fanytasyland. Just Look at it!
P01-3.jpg

Picture from Laughingplace.com

What is this a picture of?

sanctumsolitude

I actually hope they dont use the same facade as the TDS version.

Its looks nice, but I just dont see it fitting into Fantasyland. I would prefer to see the old natural waterfall cave look from 20k expanded into a full facade of the show building.

tirian

Actually Tirian its not just the MK. Disneyland is right now experincing a rebirth like never before including a completle retransformation of tomorrowland back to splendor! I think this has more to do with the new head management of Disney. Specifically the wishes of John Lasseter who is no doubt aware that something was seriously wrong with the parks these past ten years. Good things are coming, that there is no doubt!

I mentioned DL's rebirth. :wave:

The 50th anniversary refurbs were due to Matt, not John Lasseter; but overall, expect to see more park enhancements now that John is on board.

I do share Corrus' concern that we might see too much Pixar, though. It's true that Pixar is now part of Disney and should be included in the parks.
Yet many Imagineers would rather see new properties develop in the parks instead of relying on the "Most Current Film." There needs to be a balance. After all, PotC, the Jungle Cruise, the HM, the ETR, Space Mt, and IaSW wouldn't exist if Walt only based attractions on existing properties. The public expects movie-based attractions. Successful original attractions, such as E:E, allow Imagineers to create a world of their own.

Epcot82Guy

I actually think having a combination rock facade and sea castle facade would work (Mermaid Mountain perhaps... to make it the Quadruple Mountain Whammy?? :lol: ). Having one external attractions, two indoor attractions, and a wonderfully done dark ride (with some of the Nemo set technology) would be a wonderful way to integrate it, but on a smaller level than TDS. That is purely speculation, though. We'll see soon enough, I guess!

imagineer boy

I don't know how a mysterious island addition would work. How would Cinderella castle look with a gargantuan volcano behind it? It would look terrible! The little mermaid wouldn't look that great either. I say that Disney shouldn't waste their time building a new kiddie area while letting the other rot. Toon Town expansion is desperately needed.

Epcot82Guy

I agree with those. I just don't see the process that exclusive. I still stand by the fact that they should connect the Speedway to ToonTown and make it like Storybookland Canal with set ups for the characters' vacation homes along the drive. I also think it could have another, smaller dark ride in the back, adding two attractions without a lot of space added. It also would integrate Toontown into the "loop" of MK.

As for a mountain, it really does need to be set off to the side of the castle OR sit directly behind it (so that the castle blocks it down Main St.). There would be ways to integrate the mermaid lagoon facade on a smaller, wider scale behind the castle without interferrence.

S.E.A.

I don't know how a mysterious island addition would work. How would Cinderella castle look with a gargantuan volcano behind it? It would look terrible! The little mermaid wouldn't look that great either. I say that Disney shouldn't waste their time building a new kiddie area while letting the other rot. Toon Town expansion is desperately needed.

of all the existing possibilities, Mermaid Lagoon would actually look the prettiest and make the most sense thematically. Expanding Toontown into the old 20k area would be a little too jarring especially when viewed from fantasyland. You have a subdued fairytale world that suddenly becomes a chaotic stylized cartoony world.

culturenthrills

In my opinion...

The MK's day has come.

You know it is great that they are finally doing this. The problem is what has taken them so long. Yes, Disneyland wasn't always in the great condition that it is now. I was there in 2001 so I remember how much work has been done in the last 5 years.
My problem has been that over the years most of Disneylands rides have constantly been updated over the years whereas many of MK rides have pretty much remaigned the same over the years. This park is one of the most visited in the world and they have seemed to do little to improve esp. in the last 10+ years.
I don't like to be negative. There are so many things I love about the park. BTMR, Splash, Philarmagic, TTA, Buzz Lightyear, Wishes but it is many of the rides that are also at DL that just pale in comparison. I don't want to repeat my previous post about this but I did leave out a few things.

Spectromagic needs to be replaced. It is ridiculous that they have not gotten a new nighttime parade. TDL has had 3 diff. ones in 20 years. We have had the same one(except for a 1 yr break) for over 15 years. It is time for a new parade. Can you imagine what they could do with the new LED technology. It would be amazing. Then send Spectromagic to DL and finally send MSEP over to Hong Kong.

Haunted Mansion Holiday-We have heard the excuses that we can't shut down the mansion for the 3 weeks in Sept. and the 3 weeks in Jan. for the changeover. I just think that is bs. I am sorry but DL blows the MK out of the water when it comes to Christmas and you don't have to pay extra for the holiday fireworks and parade. How awesome would it be to have Haunted Mansion Holiday and IASW Christmas in FL. I know WDW doesnt' depend on locals as much but I think it is very short sighted of them not to do these 2 seasonal changeovers. I think attendance would skyrocket during Oct. and after thanksgiving to middle December because more locals would come out.

Rehabs-I think mgmt. is starting to realize that the day of the short rehabs is starting to end for alot of the older rides. They all need major rehabs and they are going to need constant rehabs every year. They have really let many of them slide.

That is all I can think of for now. I don't like to be negative. MK just has so much potential to be as great of a park as it once was. I hope it is true that MK management is starting to realize they really need to make some changes and updates to that park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom