Mermaid Lagoon Coming to MK!!!?????

Plutoboy

Original Poster
I read this on another site as well in conversation from friends who are still with Disney and it seems that there is a very strong rumor going that a version of TDL'S Mermaid Lagoon is coming to WDW in 2008. The placement for the new attraction would be on the spot of 20K Leagues and would extend the current Ariel's Grotto.

Supposedly the announcement will be made on October 4th which is when there is going to be a major press conference at the Magic Kingdom.

I have a sister who is in Imagineering in Cali and when I asked I was given a very abrupt "no comment", "not a bad idea but no comment".

Also, if true, this would seem to coincide with the release of the Little Mermaid on DVD that is quickly approaching.

Any thoughts??

Courtman

Didn't they just spend months filling in the 2k Lagoon to make way for a play area? Seems a little strange that they'd go to all that effort, just to put another lagoon there a year down the line...

Plutoboy

Original Poster
Unless I'm mistaken Mermaid Lagoon does not have an actual lagoon in the area. I may be wrong and I will have to go and check the TDL website to see. I know it does have a large kids water play area.

Plutoboy

Original Poster
Okay I just checked the website and Mermaid Lagoon does not have an lagoon in it so it's really just a play on words. This is ofcourse coming from looking at the map and atleast on there it does not show a lagoon.

iheartdisney91

omg! that would be soooo cool! better than the trees they have there now i mean why would ariel be next to trees?? wow i hope they do this!:wave:

Disneyfanman

I have heard this in several places, but the source is probably the Unofficial Guide, who quotes Jim Hill. I have heard people talk about a similar attraction to what is at TDL (giant indoor themed area with multiple attractions), but more frequently describe it as a giant dark ride with state of the art effects. Either way it would make a nice addition to a park that hasn't had a major new attraction in a loooooooong time.

WDWFREAK53

They take out an E-ticket ride to put in a bunch of A tickets?

*scratches head*

Where's the big attraction here? If this is the case, we're just going to get a well themed, teacups ride (which is right next door), and some smaller attractions on that scale. I see maybe a portion of the Lagoon going there to mold Ariel into the surroundings a little better...but I don't see the entire project coming to the MK.

metscool

I don't think they are going to do that. If you look at the old maps where you think that they are going to put it, they can't they just opened a playplace there.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
There is plenty of room.

The play area takes a mere fraction of the original footprint of 20K.

They could still add a small lagoon for Ariel and still have room left over for an "E" ticket.

20K_copy1.jpg

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Didn't they just spend months filling in the 2k Lagoon to make way for a play area? Seems a little strange that they'd go to all that effort, just to put another lagoon there a year down the line...
The play area takes up maybe 10% of the land that 20k was originally on so there is plenty of room left. About a year or so ago someone did and overlay of the remainder of the old 20k site and there was enough room to fit both Space and Splash mountain.

metscool

There is plenty of room.

The play area takes a mere fraction of the original footprint of 20K.

They could still add a small lagoon for Ariel and still have room left over for an "E" ticket.

20K_copy1.jpg
Look at that room. You can fit about 1 million bodies there.:drevil:

Lee

Adventurer
I can't confirm that this was greenlit...bit it was indeed one of the concepts talked about for that area.
My sources have been pointing to a large e-ticket coming to MK...this wouldn't be it.

PhilharMagician

I can't confirm that this was greenlit...bit it was indeed one of the concepts talked about for that area.
My sources have been pointing to a large e-ticket coming to MK...this wouldn't be it.

So what are the possibilities for an E-Ticket? I would assume that there are a few ideas that are on the drawinf board for MK.

wannab@dis

This image is very similar to the one posted earlier.. but in case anyone can't pick out Pooh's Playground, it's bordered in red in the image below. The green border is the approximate area reclaimed from 20K. There is LOTS of room to work with and they probably have room for a small Mermaid Lagoon area and another d/e ticket.

untitled9.JPG

tirian

This is almost exactly what I was told, with the addition that "Pooh's Playplace will provide an area for children too young to experience the [proposed] attraction."

As far as I know, that attraction was never green-lit; but this area will definitely be an E-ticket. :sohappy:

tirian

This image is very similar to the one posted earlier.. but in case anyone can't pick out Pooh's Playground, it's bordered in red in the image below. The green border is the approximate area reclaimed from 20K. There is LOTS of room to work with and they probably have room for a small Mermaid Lagoon area and another d/e ticket.

untitled9.JPG

By the way, that's one of the most amazing areas to watch fireworks! But I've only been able to watch them in that area twice...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom