MerfCot and the Merftempory Resort 8/21

Disney_Freak429

Thanks

Thats why this is the best Disney board out there I ask before I go to bed & as soon as I get on after I wake up I have an answer. Now thats friendly service for you lol. Now I just need to find a way to afford it with still having no air or hotel yet for the 25th.:brick:

fyn

Everytime I'm in the Contemporary, I get the impression that the designers just don't know what to do with the space they have. The high end shops fit the theme, but dont move the merch. Generic Mickey shop doesn't fit the theme, but moves the merch. Aye Caramba!

They need to put in that space:
- an open, cafe/bistro
- a few ultra-modern fountains
- free wifi that pipes into a Contemporary only intranet portal allowing guests to shop (view items in all Contemporary stores), and if something catches their eye, they can actually get up and go into the store to see it. Guests can also quickly view park schedules, parades, and even the ETA on the next monorail pulling into the hotel!
- Have every table in the cafe use the http://www.microsoft.com/surface/ technology.

I can dream, can't I?

cooleo

I had forgotten how beautiful SSE was at night without the wand, and I'm not even a wand-hater.

Thanks for the pics!

I was thinking the same thing. I actually liked the wand, BUT, Seeing & Remembering how GREAT SSE looks without it is just allright by me.:cool:

Epcot82Guy

I forgot about the Mary Blair carpet. I will miss that not being there.

I do agree that this space has never been designed well. The new lobby looks wonderful, but this space has always been sort of blah. It's like they're trying to blend a W Hotel and the Disney Store. There is very little cohesiveness. I don't mind the Mickey Ears, but I agree there could have been better execution.

RiversideBunny

Someone I know once described staying at the Contemporary as 'like living in an airport', referring to all the shops and the way the concourse is laid out.

Maybe they are trying to get a little more Disney themeing into it.

:)

dox

Great pics Merf!!

I just don't get the new gift shop design for the Contemporary. Makes no sense. I was really looking forward to the original concept for this space. They'd be better served moving the Coffee spot to the 4th floor given that the Food and Fun Center is moving to the 4th floor as well.
Although I don't necessarily mind the idea of the shop being in the middle, those mouse ears just kill it. If I wanted to stay at the All Stars or Pop Century I would have booked there.

devoy1701

The new store design also makes the store more secure...having the area enclosed instead of the open and freeflow design the refurbs originally showed. Sometimes I think it looks too easy to rip something off of some of the Disney shops. Having only certain ways our, probably with a checkout counter by each will make it a better shopping environment.

And as for the ears. I already mentioned that I think they are very tastefully done. But also, the space inside the contemporary is so HUGE that anything but HUGE Mickey ears would look dwarfed and out of place there. It will look like it currently does...a big waste of space. Adding the Mickey ears is going to make the store look like it fits better within the building and also add some nice artistic flair to the concourse. An architecture student's perspective...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I say go back to the 1972 Contemporary colour pallet of orange and brown.

Only joking

As usual, Merf, you left no stone unturned. Thanks as always.

Capt. Salty

Thanks Merf! Nice pic's...
It's amazing to see how much has been done since our trip down a few weeks ago (aug 1-12).

Keep up the nice work.
:wave:

fizzle75

I had forgotten how beautiful SSE was at night without the wand, and I'm not even a wand-hater.

Thanks for the pics!

Yeah, I'm having to eat some major crow right now. :eek:

All I have ever known is the wand, so naturally I have always been a very vocal fan of it but now that I see pictures of how beautiful SE can be without it I am really having to rethink my my feelings for the wand.

Figment82

Has anyone posted pics from today? I took a few, the stump is only about maybe 25 feet tall now - barely higher than the Gateway Gifts store.

I can post them, but I don't want to be redundant.

jt04

The new store design also makes the store more secure...having the area enclosed instead of the open and freeflow design the refurbs originally showed. Sometimes I think it looks too easy to rip something off of some of the Disney shops. Having only certain ways our, probably with a checkout counter by each will make it a better shopping environment.

And as for the ears. I already mentioned that I think they are very tastefully done. But also, the space inside the contemporary is so HUGE that anything but HUGE Mickey ears would look dwarfed and out of place there. It will look like it currently does...a big waste of space. Adding the Mickey ears is going to make the store look like it fits better within the building and also add some nice artistic flair to the concourse. An architecture student's perspective...

I agree 100% with everything you wrote. I am not an architect but find the field fascinating. I also think Merf has a point that it would be nice to have some elements of the original design as a commemoration if nothing else. The metal trees were great. And the lobby looks excellent.

Edit, looking at the drawings again and noticed that the store has doors so it can close at night which would be much more difficult with the open air design of the original. This has to be a factor. Plus the new store looks like it will hold a lot more stuff for those DVC people.

WDWFigment

I can second the comments that the P&P party is awesome, and virtually dead. We went on August 18th, and every ride we went on was walk on. I took about 150 pictures of the parade with every intention of posting them here (I had a camera set up on a tripod set to take a picture every 10 seconds) but there was an error in the transfer of the photos to my computer, and I lost them all. Luckily I only lost the pictures from that evening, and we were able to purchase our photopass ticket with Captain Jack (we only waited 10 minutes for him immediately after the parade!) but I also lost all our pictures from Crystal Palace which was a major disappointment. I'll post my trip report in a couple of days with more details.

jt04

Has anyone posted pics from today? I took a few, the stump is only about maybe 25 feet tall now - barely higher than the Gateway Gifts store.

I can post them, but I don't want to be redundant.

New SSE pics are never redundant. Are the star supports still there?

TBAAFAN

I say go back to the 1972 Contemporary colour pallet of orange and brown.

Only joking

I actually like that idea.

Perhaps something like this.
house1.jpg

house3.jpg

house2.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom