Merchandise Shortage

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Insurance buffers the liability of the railroad. If the insurance company tells them ‘we can’t cover you anymore until you do…’ then the railline will face more customer consequence

the policing needs to be done by the railroad
UP began policing its rail cars last month. But the police department(s) either let the criminals go on reduced charges or don’t charge them at all for “lack of evidence”.

CaptinEO

It's sad that as a country we rely on overseas slave labor for everything. This is what happens when you are 100% reliant on other countries. It's a sad state of affairs.

Disney could easily hire a shirt company in the states, but then their 35 dollar shirts may cost 4 dollars to make instead of 50 cents. Not enough profit margin for them.

Last edited:

The Mom

Premium Member
Please try to keep the overt political statements out of this. And for those who are questioning "What does this have to do with WDW?" a large % of merchandise is shipped from Asia, so the Pacific route to CA ports is less expensive. WDW could have merchandise shipped to Eastern ports right in FL - but it would cost substantially more.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Please try to keep the overt political statements out of this. And for those who are questioning "What does this have to do with WDW?" a large % of merchandise is shipped from Asia, so the Pacific route is less expensive. WDW could have merchandise shipped to Eastern ports right in FL - but it would cost substantially more.
I've visited Panama and the Panama Canal. It is a man made wonder that cost thousands of lives of laborers that built it. The weather is so hot and humid in Panama , it makes Miami look like spring weather. For cargo ships to cross the Panama Canal , Panama charges a hefty passage fee. Probably a deterrent to use the Canal route.

The Mom

Premium Member
I've visited Panama and the Panama Canal. It is a man made wonder that cost thousands of lives of laborers that built it. The weather is so hot and humid in Panama , it makes Miami look like spring weather. For cargo ships to cross the Panama Canal , Panama charges a hefty passage fee. Probably a deterrent to use the Canal route.
Plus the increased time. Although in light of what is happening that might have been a better choice.

Lilofan

Pretty sure a lot of these ships are too big to go through Panama. They’d have to go all the way down around South America.
I don't know about that . When I visited the tourist attraction Miraflores Locks / aka Panama Canal we watched in amazement how each of the locks drained, filled, drained , filled to allow the massive cargo ships carrying what looked like hundreds of truck bound containers cross the Canal. The mostly Asian and African crews of the ship for the most part waved at us from their cargo ships while we admired this man made wonder.

ImperfectPixie

Regardless of how you classify them or the root cause they are criminals and adversely affect those of us who are not and follow the laws. I have little or no sympathy
While I feel empathy for those who feel hopeless and trapped in poverty, it's no excuse for committing crimes. Those who commit crimes should be held accountable. HOWEVER, that is also a situation that could be fixed, if we had the will to address it.
So you believe mercenaries (who's literal job description is to kill people for money) are an appropriate response to stealing an Amazon package?
There were bulk orders of COVID tests shown in footage of the wreckage (would have been nice if I could have gotten my hands on more than one a few weeks ago). This is far more than just Amazon packages, and includes parts/merchandise that manufacturers and retailers are waiting for.

Furiated

Lip service was given to the supply chain issues a few months ago. That's all we'll get out of them.

You read it here first - Disney will pivot to having non-year-specific merchandise starting, with next Halloween. :D

Honestly, I would love that. I don't know if I'm in the minority but I HATE having a year on merch. I love Halloween and go every year and there's often a shirt design that would be great if it just didn't have the year plastered on it.

GimpYancIent

Please try to keep the overt political statements out of this. And for those who are questioning "What does this have to do with WDW?" a large % of merchandise is shipped from Asia, so the Pacific route is less expensive. WDW could have merchandise shipped to Eastern ports right in FL - but it would cost substantially more.
Yes mom. So why do the major merchandisers not develop production facilities, not just in the U.S. but say South America? Does it have to be Asia?

Lilofan

Yes mom. So why do the major merchandisers not develop production facilities, not just in the U.S. but say South America? Does it have to be Asia?
The work ethic / working and living conditions on site ( ie China ) is similar to slave labor , cheap labor, high efficient production 7 days a week to produce for USA companies and worldwide. In South America , that is a pipe dream to have operations that efficient and productive as in China.

The Mom

Premium Member
It has just been cheaper to do so - at least it was up until this happened. So maybe there will be a change in the near future. But it will cost the consumer more, or we will have to cut back on the amount of "stuff" we purchase.

ImperfectPixie

It has just been cheaper to do so - at least it was up until this happened. So maybe there will be a change in the near future. But it will cost the consumer more, or we will have to cut back on the amount of "stuff" we purchase.
I wouldn't mind a shift away from cheap stuff that falls apart after 6 months-1 year after purchase and the "just toss it and get a new one" attitude of the last however-many-years. We need to find balance between quality and cost that also allows us to bring more manufacturing back to the US.

GimpYancIent

The work ethic / working and living conditions on site ( ie China ) is similar to slave labor , cheap labor, high efficient production 7 days a week to produce for USA companies and worldwide. In South America , that is a pipe dream to have operations that efficient and productive as in China.
Sooo what I am reading is that it is a good thing to have "work ethic / working and living conditions on site ( ie China ) is similar to slave labor , cheap labor, high efficient production 7 days a week"? To me it is something repulsive that reputable corporations should not support even indirectly.

Lilofan

Sooo what I am reading is that it is a good thing to have "work ethic / working and living conditions on site ( ie China ) is similar to slave labor , cheap labor, high efficient production 7 days a week"? To me it is something repulsive that reputable corporations should not support even indirectly.
USA companies for example seem to have production based locations in rural China for example to keep up with consumer demand. Never said it is good but it is reality. One seamless plug on the best walking shoes on the planet is SAS shoes. Not the most fashionable but oh so comfy. Made in San Antonio TX.

The Mom

Premium Member
No, I think that was just an explanation for the current situation. And as I, and others have pointed out, people have to be willing to have less, but hopefully, better quality stuff for this to stop. I personally would rather pay a few dollars for something cheap that won't last more than six months, than pay a hundred dollars for the same item if it also doesn't last for more than a few months.

The quality has to match the price.

Which is why Japanese cars began dominating the market in the 1970s. Lower price plus the same or better quality.

Last edited:

John park hopper

It goes beyond this companies don't have to contend with OSHA, EPA, employee litigation, companies hire and fire at will, have an unlimited labor supply and no HR issues. Companies are moving from China to Vietnam --lower wages

ImperfectPixie

No, I think that was just an explanation for the current situation. And as I, and others have pointed out, people have to be willing to have less, but hopefully, better quality stuff for this to stop. I personally would rather pay a few dollars for something cheap that won't last more than six months, than pay a hundred dollars for the same item if it also doesn't last for more than a few months.

The quality has to match the price.
Resellers are a growing problem, too, as seen on Amazon's and Walmart's marketplaces...the more people that get in between the manufacturer and the consumer, the higher the price gets. This is why when shopping at either, I always make sure to check the country of origin as well as try to ensure I'm purchasing as close to the manufacturer as possible - usually from the brand itself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom