McDonald's leaving the parks?

Timmay

I beg to differ. Disney's FAST FOOD may be fairly similar to many places outside of Disney, with a few exceptions, but Disney also offers a vast array of very interesting and distinct food that you probably won't find in your local area.

Only if you live in the back woods somewhere, or don't try very hard.

And you certainly won't find this much variety anywhere else. EPCOT alone boasts an amazing array of restaurants in WORLD SHOWCASE.

Once again, only if you don't try very hard. I can walk down the 16th Street Mall in Denver and find 4 times the amount of unique food I can find in all four of the WDW parks...World Showcase included.

When I go to Disney I look forward to eating food that I can only get there. Some outstanding examples are Restaurant Marrakesh, Le Cellier, Ashkerhus, Bistro de Paris and the entire FOOD AND WINE FESTIVAL. SCi-Fi dine-in, Flame Tree BBQ, Tusker House...and don't forget the resorts...BOMA, OHANA, CALIFORNIA GRILL. Hey, I live in New York. I have lots and lots of amazing food to choose from. And I still look forward to Disney for food. Because they have some things I can't get here..

I find that very, very difficult to believe, especially if you live in New York. If you can't find food that rivals that of Sci Fi, Flame Tree of Tusker House, you really aren't trying.

And what about a DOLE WHIP? Can't get that anywhere else.

Of course I can...don't be silly. I can, and do, have the exact same thing right in my own house

http://www.uec-hawaii.com/products2.html

I am not saying, in any way, that a large portion of the food in the parks is not good. Much of it is very good, in fact. But to say you can't find the same type, variety or quality in any city across the US is just a tad bit disengenuine, I think.

And I still don't want to smell McDonalds at Disney. It cheapens the experience.

Which, I beleive, is the real issue. And from the people lining up to get the fries, I would say it is a non issue to most.

Wilt Dasney

Once again, only if you don't try very hard. I can walk down the 16th Street Mall in Denver and find 4 times the amount of unique food I can find in all four of the WDW parks...Epcot included.

I find that very, very difficult to believe, especially if you live in New York. If you can't find food that rivals that of Sci Fi, Flame Tree of Tusker House, you really aren't trying.

I agree that the "meat and potatoes" type food in WDW isn't that different from what you can find at pretty much any Mom's Diner in America.

I differ on the World Showcase offerings, though. If you live in a big city, finding authentic Norwegian or French restaurants might be a breeze, but for most of the country, "ethnic" offerings are more along the lines of Taco Bell, Olive Garden or the local Chinese buffet.

WildcatDen

The policy is to allow all employees time with their family, attend church if they so choose and to rest. Seeing that this is a family owned company, I don't think it will ever change. And I totally respect them for making this type of business decision.

Amen to that :wave:

As for the question if it works in a theme park environent. . . Chick Fil-A has a location inside King's Island and it is closed on Sunday's. It has been there for three years now and I assume no one has complained enough to boot them out. :slurp::slurp::slurp:

daliseurat

I am not saying, in any way, that a large portion of the food in the parks is not good. Much of it is very good, in fact. But to say you can't find the same type, variety or quality in any city across the US is just a tad bit disengenuine, I think.

I'm not suggesting that better or similar food cannot be found. But there are some foods at Disney that MOST folks won't find. And even those of us in NYC who have access to so much might not find without great effort. I'm just saying that while at WDW you have a very convenient way of having a huge variety of non-franchised interesting food that many folks wouldn't regularly have access to. And THAT is the point of wanting Disney to ditch McDonalds in favor of more Disney food.

And New York does not do decent BBQ. Flame Tree's is not North Carolina worthy, but far better than NYC. And I haven't yet found a decent African restaurant either. And I certainly don't have my choices so close together like EPCOT. But Disney can't beat New York(or Chicago) Pizza or Hot Dogs, which I can get on every corner here.

MAF

I am sorry, but Disney park food is no different that what you find in any cafe, lunch room, pizza place, burger joint or taco house on the very same street corners that McDonald's resides.

Stop kidding yourself.
You are...awesome.

DisneyLeo18

i dont think mcdonalds being in the parks is a big deal.. especially if its only a fry stand or 2 and one restaurant which from what ive seen doesnt even look like a mcdonalds. i dont think people saying mcdonalds being in the park takes away from the magic is reasonable. i guess rainforest cafe, espn club, planet hollywood, and other places of that sort takes away from the magic too?? i do agree mcdonalds isnt healthy, but is it healthier than the food disney serves???

ChrisQ

That is such a wacky policy, we don't have them here but i knew of this practice. I believe that this will change when the origional owner isn't around anymore.

It's not such a "wacky" policy when you understand how important faith is to the founding family of the company. It actually sets them apart in a positive way, so I don't think the policy is going anywhere.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It's not such a "wacky" policy when you understand how important faith is to the founding family of the company. It actually sets them apart in a positive way, so I don't think the policy is going anywhere.

Let's not turn this into a debate on morals. I only brought it up to illustrate the fact that their policy wouldn't really fit into the vacationers schedule.

The parks are open on Sunday; the guests expect service regardless of the day of the week.

sknydave

That's what makes it wacky to some people.

ChrisQ

Let's not turn this into a debate on morals. I only brought it up to illustrate the fact that their policy wouldn't really fit into the vacationers schedule.

The parks are open on Sunday; the guests expect service regardless of the day of the week.

I wasn't turning it into a "debate on morals," BTW... No need to be condescending.

daliseurat

i dont think mcdonalds being in the parks is a big deal.. especially if its only a fry stand or 2 and one restaurant which from what ive seen doesnt even look like a mcdonalds. i dont think people saying mcdonalds being in the park takes away from the magic is reasonable. i guess rainforest cafe, espn club, planet hollywood, and other places of that sort takes away from the magic too?? i do agree mcdonalds isnt healthy, but is it healthier than the food disney serves???

Rainforest Cafe, ESPN Club and Planet Hollywood aren't INSIDE the parks. And they are actually well themed establishments. And despite my liking each of them, if they were in the parks, I'd probably be annoyed with that too. And they don't have that distinct smell that McDonalds has. Even my 5 year old can smell a Mcdonalds from a distance. And they serve their food in McDONALDS containers, not DISNEY. (At least the fry carts do) So for me, when I smell that smell and see a bunch of McDonalds wrappers, it totally takes me out of the Disney experience and plops me down in the mall.

And, speaking for myself, it isn't the fact that McDonald's serves unhealthy food, Disney certainly does that itself. It's just that I'd rather Disney came up with their own food, served in a more themed manner to maintain the illusion of being somewhere magical. I might not even care so much if the Mcdonalds food was served in Disney containers, had Disney names attached to it and somehow didn't have that McDonalds smell.

And I love McDonalds. And the smell. Just not at Disney.

Hrudey3032

Rainforest Cafe, ESPN Club and Planet Hollywood aren't INSIDE the parks. And they are actually well themed establishments. And despite my liking each of them, if they were in the parks, I'd probably be annoyed with that too. And they don't have that distinct smell that McDonalds has. Even my 5 year old can smell a Mcdonalds from a distance. And they serve their food in McDONALDS containers, not DISNEY. (At least the fry carts do) So for me, when I smell that smell and see a bunch of McDonalds wrappers, it totally takes me out of the Disney experience and plops me down in the mall.

And, speaking for myself, it isn't the fact that McDonald's serves unhealthy food, Disney certainly does that itself. It's just that I'd rather Disney came up with their own food, served in a more themed manner to maintain the illusion of being somewhere magical. I might not even care so much if the Mcdonalds food was served in Disney containers, had Disney names attached to it and somehow didn't have that McDonalds smell.

And I love McDonalds. And the smell. Just not at Disney.

Actually there is a Rainforest Cafe in a park.Its inside Animal Kingdom.I just ate there in January.

daoust8

The Disney & McDonald's partnership in some ways has been severed. McD's has signed on with Dreamworks due to the lack of success of recent Disney films and the success of Dreamworks. McDonald's would spend a great deal of capital to sponsor Disney and support their films only to get little in return for sales in teh restuarants while other competitors sponsored much more popular properties. Actually McD's also pulled Dreamworks from Burger King to be more competitive.

As far as pulling out of the parks I am not sure. McDonald's also has two ful scale properties in Downtown Disney and by Animal Kingdom which do very well.

kimmychad

Actually there is a Rainforest Cafe in a park.Its inside Animal Kingdom.I just ate there in January.

but its not inside the park, you had to leave animal kingdom to get to it, is yak and yuki disney owned? if not then mconalds is the only non disney owned restaurant inside a park

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom