McDonalds At Downtown Disney Robbed

CMTinkerbell99

Which is exactly why I steer clear of it whenever I visit WDW. On my last visit to DTD five years ago the place seemed tired and corny and stuck in the 1990's. I decided then I didn't need to go back.

The crime that takes place there, sometimes violently against tourists in the parking lots, also is something to be very worried about. WDW management has simply got to get a handle on DTD and what it's become.

They don't have these problems in the Anaheim version of DTD, that's for sure.

Anaheim's DTD is not as easy to get into as WDW's DTD. With it being between the parks and resorts guests have to pay for parking. You also have to go through bag checks to get in to DTD Anaheim depending on where you are accessing DTD from. At WDW there is a road that runs right behind the stores and Mc Donalds is very very easy to gain access to by anyone. So if someone did rob the Mc Donalds they did not have that far to go to get to the getaway car (much like any local Mc Donalds or any store) and take off. The robbers could have cased the area and knew when security goes by and how long it takes for them to come back again. The loop may take a few moments for the security to do. It was before most opening teams for the stores arrived. I think it might be a inside job also or a very successful robber who watches before he commits his/her crimes.

Ciciwoowoo

You know, I wonder if it would cut the crime at DTD if they simply instituted a monitored parking lot and fee, much like the parks.

jakeman

So we have learned from this thread that Orlando has a high per capita crime rate and any area within 15 miles of the city limits must share that burden as well.

We have not learned that crime happens and is random and the only reason this is news is because it happened at DTD. We also have not learned that this allegded abduction took place 2 years ago and turned out to be false:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_local_orlandocrime/disney/

A search of "Downtown Disney" and "Crime" on the Orlando Sentinel's website turned up exactly one relavent article: the current story.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It would be wise for TDO to send out a small group of security managers to Anaheim for a few days to see how Team Disney Anaheim polices and secures it's extremely popular Downtown Disney District. There's obviously some learning to be gained from such an exchange, and the Orlando folks could likely give the Anaheim folks some tips as well. :)

Why do almost all of your posts have this "DL is better than WDW" mentality to them? I understand you live by DL and much prefer it over WDW, but your posts are getting tiring. It doesnt matter what the subject is, you always angle it to DL being better than WDW. In the context of a WDW board, they are becomming troll-like looking to incite an argument.

Thelazer

Been in that McD's MANY MANY MANY Times.

This is an inside job, or at least involves an employee or someone who used to work there. No way it was just some random thing.

The sad fact is, security at WDW is NOT what it seems. Slowly the thugs, lowlifes and others are starting to find that out. Now, if the pay was better in Orlando (not just WDW, but Orlando in general) I'd suspect we'd see a lot less of this stuff happening.

As it is, Orlando is nothing but an illusion of happy crap, for tourists to consume. But behind it all, it's a lowlife city, full of riot, bugs and crime.

bgraham34

Why wife and I were at Downtown Disney just over the weekend and i was telling her about the problems that have occurred there. It really is a shame things like this even happen anywhere but worse when it happens someplace you know well.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Now, if the pay was better in Orlando (not just WDW, but Orlando in general) I'd suspect we'd see a lot less of this stuff happening.

You obviously didn't read the post by jakeman - this happened two years ago...............

Onto your quote - whose pay needs to be better ?

Crime happens for a reason - its not an occupation or a hobby. People commit crime to either help fund a drugs habit or they can't afford to live as they're already "surviving" on state handouts

CaptainMichael

First of all, who the heck robs a McDonalds...what is there to take?

Closing those clubs really helped security huh? :lookaroun

Looks like all the hoodlums and gangsters from PI didn't have anything better to do.:lookaroun

Yup, closing the nightclubs really has helped with that undesirable element. :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm so glad all of the gang activity is gone now. I'm also glad people can no longer consume large amount of the devil's juice around my family. Thanks Sheriff!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
where the H*** was security?

It doesn't matter where they were. They're security, not police. They cannot engage a robber.

Yes, that is a part of it. But the quickest thing to do would be for WDW management to fully realize that their property is near Orlando, a city with one of the worst crime rates in the nation. They've got to beef up security first to keep the spiraling crime rates up in Orlando and prevent it from creeping on to WDW property.

Then they can work with the governments to try and create a long-term solution to bring the Orlando/Kissimmee metro area crime rates down to something more average and manageable for a city of that size.

I really think that WDW needs to pay for both OCSO's (Orange and Osceola) to staff WDW in proportion with how they staff the rest of their counties.

Does anyone know why WDW only has security and not a full fledged police force? With their size and the number of visitors I don’t understand why they don’t. Cedar Point has a police force and they are no where near the size of WDW.

Disney does not want the liability involved with a police force. The police in Cedar Point are a division of Sandusky Police, and any liability is taken away from them and placed onto the government of Sandusky... which is something that WDW should consider. OCSO WDW Division, paid for by WDW and donations to the OCSO, with the counties accepting liability for any actions by their officers.

They want the money in the cash drawers and safe.

Wilt Dasney

First of all, who the heck robs a McDonalds

hamburglar.jpg

Come on...you were asking for that one. :p

NadieMasK2

Does anyone know what the current unemployment rate is in Orlando? I have heard that the economic situation has hit central Florida VERY hard. I know the area has always had a higher than average crime rate, but I'm wondering if the economy is contributing to a rise in thefts and robberies. Perhaps it is time for WDW to step up policing of DTD.

CDavid

As is often the case, there pretty much has to be more to this story than we've heard so far. I actually worked in a McDonald's way, way back during College. In the morning before opening, we would have had less than $1,000 in the safe and cash drawers. Later in the day there could be 10X that amount.

People commit crime to either help fund a drugs habit or they can't afford to live as they're already "surviving" on state handouts

While a lot of crime is indeed drug related and lower socioeconomic groups are overrepresented in the statistics, it is not nearly so simple to conclude that crime is rooted in these two causes. We also clearly don't want to stereotype those on "public handouts" either, the vast majority of whom are as law abiding as their more affluent fellow citizens, though they often live in higher-crime neighborhoods (which is a problem in itself).

mkt

Premium Member
People commit crime to either help fund a drugs habit or they can't afford to live as they're already "surviving" on state handouts

I disagree wholeheartedly with your post.

People commit crime because they have to or want to. The circumstances behind their reasons to commit the crime to are nowhere near as simple as you put them.

A seemingly wealthy man defrauds the public for billions. There is no drug habit and the state isn't giving him a cent. A recently laid off worker robs a store. Again, there is no drug habit or state support.

Conversely, a wealthy drug user does not commit any crime (other than the violation of prohibition) to support his habit. He works hard and in every other aspect of his life, contributes to society. No crime committed (other than the previously mentioned drug use).

There are but a few examples out of many more I can come up with... without as much as even thinking hard about it.

mkt

Premium Member
That pretty much already exists...
You're right, it does. IIRC for Orange County, it's their Sector 6, and it is minimally staffed. I stated one staffed proportionally to what is staffed outside of WDW. Obviously not by population, as that would be impossible.. but WDW does keep historical guest counts that for for police staffing purposes, can be used as a de-facto population.

sweetale

ROFL central Florida does not have a crime issue. Orlando has few bad parts to it. Want to see bad parts of a city that you really need to watch your back in? Detroit.

Yes, Detroit certainly has dangerous/aweful areas that you should not visit without a CCW in tow. However, just as Orlando/LA/etc....has slums, so too does Detroit. There are very nice areas in Detroit and it's surrounding areas. In fact, a car ride only 5-10 minutes outside of city limits will take you to one of the safest/wealthiest areas in the country. I understand that you are referring to graphs and statistics, but I just hate always hearing the "Detroit is an aweful city/wasteland that no one should ever visit" line. And I'm not trying to directly point the finger at you, there, everyone here seems to agree. Thought I would just put in a nice plug for my hometown for once! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom