McDonalds At Downtown Disney Robbed

TP2000

Anyway, I agree with the larger point that the number of crimes reported around DTD gives the impression of a security problem, but that Anaheim to Orlando comparison has always bugged me. It just feels tailor-made to favor Disneyland's environs to me.

I agree that it's hard to nail down an exact comparison, but the Anaheim vs. Orlando version is easiest and most clear. It's 26 miles from Anaheim to downtown Los Angeles, and it's 15 miles from WDW to downtown Orlando. Plug in Los Angeles, and you see that LA is still much safer per capita than Orlando is across all major categories of serious crime. Scary stuff.

You probably don't want to start plugging in other cities directly around Anaheim like Fullerton, Brea, Orange, or Tustin. And God help you if you plug in Irvine, a few miles down the freeway from Disneyland. Irvine is one of the safest cities in America, if not the world. Even if you plug in Santa Ana, the poorest and most crime ridden city in Orange County, California, it still makes Orlando/Kissimmee look very scary.

With 3.2 Million people living in Orange County, California there is still going to be some serious crime. Especially auth thefts with all the fancy cars driving around here. I still think Team Disney Orlando needs to contact the security managers at Team Disney Anaheim. There's some lessons to be learned with Anaheim's nearly crime-free Downtown Disney District since it opened 8 years ago.

mikeb_86

Man anouther thing going wrong in the wdw. I hope thay step up cops down thare. Maybe thay can look at adding more cops station someware around DTD!!!

Wilt Dasney

I agree that it's hard to nail down an exact comparison, but the Anaheim vs. Orlando version is easiest and most clear. It's 26 miles from Anaheim to downtown Los Angeles, and it's 15 miles from WDW to downtown Orlando.
I'll drop it after this, because I agree with you that getting too far off in the weeds here doesn't really shift the bottom line a lot, but...even if Orlando is only 15 miles away, there are other actual communities that are even closer.

You're comparing the suburb that literally envelops Disneyland to the crime-ridden urban core that sits several miles up the interstate from WDW at the expense of relatively safer suburbs that are closer to the resort.

Now as you've said, the bottom line is central Florida as a whole has a crime problem that tourist resorts in the area have to deal with, and Kissimmee ain't no picnic itself...but it does come off looking better than Orlando, and even better than Anaheim in certain categories.

Since WDW doesn't exist in an actual city (LBV being a farcical non-place that just allows Disney to set its own municipal codes), then I think these kind of apples-to-kumquats discussions should at least be honest enough to consider the closest community, and not just the most violent one that can be reasonably brought in for comparison. :lol:

_Scar

I'll drop it after this, because I agree with you that getting too far off in the weeds here doesn't really shift the bottom line a lot, but...even if Orlando is only 15 miles away, there are other actual communities that are even closer.

You're comparing the suburb that literally envelops Disneyland to the crime-ridden urban core that sits several miles up the interstate from WDW at the expense of relatively safer suburbs that are closer to the resort.

Now as you've said, the bottom line is central Florida as a whole has a crime problem that tourist resorts in the area have to deal with, and Kissimmee ain't no picnic itself...but it does come off looking better than Orlando, and even better than Anaheim in certain categories.

Since WDW doesn't exist in an actual city (LBV being a farcical non-place that just allows Disney to set its own municipal codes), then I think these kind of apples-to-kumquats discussions should at least be honest enough to consider the closest community, and not just the most violent one that can be reasonably brought in for comparison. :lol:

ROFL central Florida does not have a crime issue. Orlando has few bad parts to it. Want to see bad parts of a city that you really need to watch your back in? Detroit.

TP2000

Fair point. I only equate WDW with Orlando because of marketing and the airport. I've never lived in Central Florida, and I expect most WDW visitors also have not.

Orlando has a horrible crime problem. At the same time they market themselves as the fun capital of the world and try to woo the American families vacation dollar. http://www.orlandoinfo.com/

WDW simply needs to get a handle on the crime problem in DTD, regardless of whether the criminals drove down from Orlando or drove up from Kissimmee.

Wilt Dasney

ROFL central Florida does not have a crime issue. Orlando has few bad parts to it. Want to see bad parts of a city that you really need to watch your back in? Detroit.

Well...since comparing cities seems to be the sport in season:

http://www.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=detroit&s1=MI&c2=orlando&s2=FL

Take out the staggeringly higher murder and carjacking rates in Detroit, and Orlando holds its own pretty nicely...even boasting higher rape and larceny numbers! So don't sell Orlando short so quick! :)

Wilt Dasney

Orlando has a horrible crime problem. At the same time they market themselves as the fun capital of the world and try to woo the American families vacation dollar. http://www.orlandoinfo.com/

WDW simply needs to get a handle on the crime problem in DTD, regardless of whether the criminals drove down from Orlando or drove up from Kissimmee.
Agreed. If the area gets worse and things like this continue to make the news, then the tourism marketing efforts will start to suffer. A "Visit Detroit!" marketing push would be laughed off the air. It would be a shame to see Orlando (and surrounding attractions) start losing the ability to attract families because of this crap.

_Scar

Population: 884,462 216,819
Murder: 418 49
Forcible Rape: 593 163
Robbery: 7240 1528
Aggravated Assault: 13143 2560
Burglary: 18134 3662
Larceny Theft: 21287 12320
Vehicle Theft: 22917 2336

the second number is orlando....

TP2000

Yeah, and here is the link to the bar graph per capita, for the second time in this thread. Blue bar is Detroit, gold bar is Orlando, and it ain't pretty. http://www.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=detroit&s1=MI&c2=orlando&s2=FL

Just the fact that we have to point to Detroit, DETROIT!, as an example of someplace where a few categories of crime are worse than Orlando means that Orlando has a problem. It pretty much speaks for itself.

Wilt Dasney

I think those are the raw numbers, right? The numbers represented on the graph are the number of incidents per 100,000 residents. That's the number that is generally used to determine whether an area is "safe" or not, not just the number of crimes reported.

For example, a city of 1 million with 200 murders a year would have a murder rate of 20 per 100,000; while a city of 50,000 with 40 murders a year would have a murder rate of 80 per 100,000...four times higher.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Man anouther thing going wrong in the wdw.

Its not going wrong IN WDW - its a reflection of todays society. If the robbery rook place in a McDonalds 10 miles down the road it would not have been as newsworthy.
We visit DTD several times every trip and have never felt threatened - WDW is the size of a suburban city - crime happens

TP2000

Society (local & central government) needs to address the problem

Yes, that is a part of it. But the quickest thing to do would be for WDW management to fully realize that their property is near Orlando, a city with one of the worst crime rates in the nation. They've got to beef up security first to keep the spiraling crime rates up in Orlando and prevent it from creeping on to WDW property.

Then they can work with the governments to try and create a long-term solution to bring the Orlando/Kissimmee metro area crime rates down to something more average and manageable for a city of that size.

Enchantâmes

True. But somehow robberies and kidnappings and violent crime happen every so often at the DTD in Orlando. That kind of stuff doesn't happen at the Anaheim DTD, and it's been open for 8 years now.

The Orlando area has one of the worst crime rates in the nation, right up there with Detroit on a per capita basis. WDW management simply has to get a handle on this crime seeping into DTD. Maybe send a security team out to Anaheim and learn how they keep crime away from Disneyland's Downtown Disney District?
I've been going to the parks and DTD for almost 16 years now and I never witnessed or experienced anything of sort. Nor have I felt threatened at all. You're acting as if its the Ghetto or something. And by the way Disneyland's DTD has had more stores close this year than ours has and is a postage stamp compared to WDW's.

Mad Stitch

Does anyone know why WDW only has security and not a full fledged police force? With their size and the number of visitors I don’t understand why they don’t. Cedar Point has a police force and they are no where near the size of WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom