Matterhorn in the Magic Kingdom?

NiarrNDisney

Thanks for posting this! Its interesting and I would certainly love to have it in Florida, since as of last week I rode the Matterhorn for the first time in my life never having been to DLR. My thoughts about it though as with all things invovled in the FLE project "I will believe it when I see it"! Until a little more progress has been seen I will not be holding my breath.

terp79

Original Poster
Sorry I'm all about keeping a quaint swiss/german storybook village look and feel, instead of slapping a bunch of things that I personally can't go to nor experience. . . unless I want to look like that creepy guy. For me and "my" demographic, the only thing I can enjoy is a dinning experience and mermaid.

I don't think EE is a successor to Matterhorn based solely on the Yeti and a mountain. The two have completely different feels as to their environmental atmospherics not to mention storyline. When I'm in line at the Matterhorn, I just want to burst into a German accent, then sing something from the sound of music and put on some lederhosen, whereas on EE, I want to shave my head, climb to the top of a brisk peak and mediate to monks chanting.

TP2000

I don't think EE is a successor to Matterhorn based solely on the Yeti and a mountain. The two have completely different feels as to their environmental atmospherics not to mention storyline. When I'm in line at the Matterhorn, I just want to burst into a German accent, then sing something from the sound of music and put on some lederhosen, whereas on EE, I want to shave my head, climb to the top of a brisk peak and mediate to monks chanting.

Yeah, the two mountains are from entirely separate continents.

Except for the fact they both have snow on them, Matterhorn Bobsleds and Expedition Everest have about as much in common thematically as Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain. Both roller coasters in a mountain, but that's about it.

Not to mention the ride vehicles themselves are radically different, giving a vastly separate ride experience physically and logistically. Matterhorn has you tight and low to the track, moving through confined caverns and caves, very close to the action and twisting track.
Matterhorn9.jpg

03scrow.jpg

Everest is an awesome coaster, but it has a more traditional modern train ride vehicle that has you sitting upright and well above the track level. With Everest's bigger vehicles, the interior show scenes are larger and further from the riders in the vehicles.

Of course, there's also that pesky little issue of which mountain has a working animatronic.... :zipit:
Expediton%20Everest%20002.jpg

muteki

WRE was a similarly huge undertaking and look how it turned out. As much as I would like to see the Matterhorn or something similar in Fantasyland I am not sure how it would fit. We live in a different time than when the original was built and I just don't think most will "get" it. A Pinocchio dark ride would be awesome though, he is quite underrepresented.

Pusta100

I for one would love to see the Matterhorn in Magic Kingdom!! It will probably never happen, but I think it will bring something to Fantasyland that its missing.....an E-ticket ride. It will also allow all age groups to enjoy Fantasyland.

The Empress Lilly

The MK Matterhorn is fan fiction. We can dream, but don't hold your breath.

As for FLE: I mind that it caters to young girls, not that it caters to girls itself.

Firstly, I don't think Disney is all that gender specific in and of itself. Girls like pirates, boys like princess movies. The merchandise is very gender specific though (the princesses are all about pinky girly stuff)

Secondly, if one does consider Disney to be gender specific, then one must conclude that the rest of the MK is extremely boy-centric. Yet in fifty years, nobody has ever complained about sports cars, cowboys and pirates in the castle parks. Tom Sawyer in DL got a pirate make-over last year, and the internets were not ablaze with how Disney is catering only to young boys.

They build some stuff for girls for a change and the internets and upper management freak out. Bah.

MAF

It says he hopes this is what they would do. It says it was considered like decades ago, not presently. Anyways Everest was WDW's answer to the Matterhorn...

TP2000

A Pinocchio dark ride would be awesome though, he is quite underrepresented.

Eh. Pinocchio's Daring Journey at Disneyland is the least popular dark ride in that land that has four other dark rides besides Pinocchio. It has some nifty special effects, but for whatever reason it attracts the shortest lines.

pinoc.jpg

the-reason14

I dont see a matterhorn working at the MK. For one, Space mt. is already too similar to it, and if they were to bring the matterhorn, I would think they would want to make it different somewhat like DL did when they built their version of space mt. Also, I think the matterhorn is the one attraction that absolutely screams Disneyland, and nothing else. There are several Disneyland exclusive rides/attractions, but the matterhorn is THE one that I think should stay there. Even though it would be built in the "back" of the park, I think it would screw up the skyline with the castle and all.

floridabill

Never gonna happen!

Great idea but they will never do it..bottom line. I use to think I know the economy is bad, but tomorrow they will announce the next big thing. But lets face it they are being cheap and nothing huge is in the works (besides fantasy land) for at least the next 4 years! :(

SeaCastle

Great idea but they will never do it..bottom line. I use to think I know the economy is bad, but tomorrow they will announce the next big thing. But lets face it they are being cheap and nothing huge is in the works (besides fantasy land) for at least the next 4 years! :(

I wouldn't be so sure about that if I were you.

Valo216

I for one would love to see the Matterhorn in Magic Kingdom!! It will probably never happen, but I think it will bring something to Fantasyland that its missing.....an E-ticket ride. It will also allow all age groups to enjoy Fantasyland.

I'm 26 years old and enjoy Fantasyland, my parents enjoy fantasyland, and my grandparents enjoy fantasyland. Although I would love to have the matterhorn in fantasyland, i still think everyone can enjoy the land without a thrill ride.

floridabill

I wouldn't be so sure about that if I were you.

Idk it is just depressing when all they are doing is selling land, and making the world smaller with 3rd party vendors, not keeping the parks up, closing pleasure island and leaving it a ghost town!, and not building the next biggest awesome attraction! I usually try to be very optimistic but lately it seems they don't care about being the biggest and the best. it's about how much can I get for this piece of land and why do we need to fix up or expand on the parks... And when they do we get fantasy land! :brick: I love disney I just wish they cared more!

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I'm sorry, I've got to say that EE destroys any reason to put in the Matterhorn. Not to mention: why put in a new old ride? Nostalgia is great, but overall it seems like a big ol' step backward.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom