Matterhorn in the Magic Kingdom?

misterID

Read my post again.

Your ticket price includes much more than prices for the attractions. Whether or not you use the transportation system, see the shows, take advantage of other amenities on the property, the price of your ticket often goes toward the operations and developement of these as well. If guests want something more and Disney plans to build it, you will pay for it. One does have to do with the other.

Nope.

Of course they have to pay for things and they do. They also make serious bread. No one is begrudging them for making a profit, or paying for new additions. But that has nothing to do with why they raise ticket prices. They would raise prices whether or not there was anything new.

And Disney isn't losing any money.

I have no idea why you felt it necessary to make this an issue, when it wasn't one.

Here is another thing to help nail the coffin in the MK Matterhorn rumor.

DL's Fantasyland is themed to be a storybook SWISS village.

MK's Fantasyland is themed to be a storybook GERMAN village.

Putting the Matterhorn in a German themed area would be go against theming and something that Disney tries to avoid (and here is the point where someone lists off all the things that contradict what i just said about theming)

Spike-in-Berlin

I've seen what progressing the park can do ...

2614120032_642063c9a6.jpg

sge.jpg

216704102_c985a504c2.jpg

I'll take "setting back the park decades", thank you.

THAT was good. And true.

Spike-in-Berlin

German?
Really?
Sure it isn't Italy?

There is absolutely nothing even remotely Italian in FL. Even northern Italy has a completely different architectural style than the German/German-speaking parts of the Alps. Why do you think it's called the Pinocchio HAUS (German for house) and not Casa Pinocchio?
The entire western half of FL (with the exception of the tent-like structure of IASW) is completely German down to the details in its theming with a framework style that is pretty common in southern Germany, especially Franconia and Bavaria. The former Skyway station FL is pure German Alpine style, we call it "Alpenlaendischer Stil" (that is also pretty common in parts of Switzerland and Austria of course). Only the eastern half of FL with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Mine is more tudor-style, however still with some continental influences, it's not puristic.

jakeman

Was going to reply about ticket prices...

Then I realized I could probably just dig up a thread from about this time last year and just cut and paste.

raven

Almost every year now Disney raises prices. And then even worse, Universal and Sea World follow suit and do the same.

So now Disney is to blame for tiket hikes at the other Orlando parks? :confused:

I have no idea why you felt it necessary to make this an issue, when it wasn't one.

The point is that people keep complaining that new attractions are too few and far between. They want something new every single time they visit the property. Guess what? That takes money, lots of it! Yet they complain when ticket prices go up a couple of bucks each year.

Chezman1399

I'm sorry, in DL it looks so awkward and out of place to me, and on top of that it was super painful to ride. I wouldn't want it in the Magic Kingdom. Part of the greatness of MK is how clean the skyline is when walking into the park, and in fact how clean the skyline is in every land, so you only seen things with the current theme. Matterhorn just wouldn't look right in MK IMHO.

jt04

There is absolutely nothing even remotely Italian in FL. Even northern Italy has a completely different architectural style than the German/German-speaking parts of the Alps. Why do you think it's called the Pinocchio HAUS (German for house) and not Casa Pinocchio?
The entire western half of FL (with the exception of the tent-like structure of IASW) is completely German down to the details in its theming with a framework style that is pretty common in southern Germany, especially Franconia and Bavaria. The former Skyway station FL is pure German Alpine style, we call it "Alpenlaendischer Stil" (that is also pretty common in parts of Switzerland and Austria of course). Only the eastern half of FL with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Mine is more tudor-style, however still with some continental influences, it's not puristic.

Doesn't it seem that the new FLE will be more representative of a wider scope of European styles. For instance the chateau looks french to me. I'm certainly no expert. Little Mermaid seems to have baltic influences. Anyway, I don't think the FLE style will be able to be called German in the future. What is your opinion of the FLE and what it reflects?

PS- all the new styles of the FLE would allow the matterhorn to fit thematically IMO. Even if it is built without the coaster. Perhaps as a restaurant or dark ride such as the rumored runaway mine train kids coaster.

Mickey_777

Plus, if they ever were to put a Matterhorn in MK (which isn't even on the drawing board), we all know they'd update and modernize it so that the least enjoyable aspects (the herky-jerky bumpiness, the queue, the single-file seats) would be severely improved upon.

Well since you put it that way...sure I'd love another mountain in MK...a new and improved Matterhorn wouldn't be bad as long as it doesn't mess up the skyline

gmajew

Premium Member
So now Disney is to blame for tiket hikes at the other Orlando parks? :confused:

The point is that people keep complaining that new attractions are too few and far between. They want something new every single time they visit the property. Guess what? That takes money, lots of it! Yet they complain when ticket prices go up a couple of bucks each year.

I don't get people complaining about prices going up every year! Folks cost go up every year on business including the cost of labor, insurance, merchandise cost etc. It is not Disney or any companies purpose to give stuff away or lose margins. It is there job to make money. That means that when there cost go up they have to pass some of it onto the consumer.

Now the opinion that if they build new attractions they need to raise prices to pay for it is not always the case. They will get hte increase traffic and purchases to pay for those items, but that is not the reason why prices go up! They go up because Labor cost, Unions, Insurance etc go up. Just this past year in the state of Il again our min wage increased to now 8.25 an hour. So think about your food staff all havign to make that wage and what it does to margins. Prices have to go up!

It is part of life and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but prices are going to go way up for food, and merchandise if taxes etc go up on companies.

So bottom line prices need to go up, not for new rides and attraction but just to ocver increase in cost. Business have to make money! That is why you see Disney using the same rides in many different parks etc it helps lower the cost of entry for a ride! May not be as cool for us to go to Dl and WDW but hey that is the new reality of the world.

Grizzly Hall 71

I'm sorry, in DL it looks so awkward and out of place to me, and on top of that it was super painful to ride. I wouldn't want it in the Magic Kingdom. Part of the greatness of MK is how clean the skyline is when walking into the park, and in fact how clean the skyline is in every land, so you only seen things with the current theme. Matterhorn just wouldn't look right in MK IMHO.

Walt didn't have a problem with it though. I mean from the bridge to Adventureland I can see Space Mountain. From Liberty Square I could see Big Thunder and Splash Mountain and they are in different areas. From Frontierland I can see the Tiki Room theatre. To me it's what makes me recognize DL. I can't see the Mattehorn from Critter Country. The only place I can see it is from Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. Mattehorn would be a perfect fit for MK. I wish it would come.

dweezil78

If Disney were to make a new Matterhorn ride, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't use the same setup from 1959. ;)

Though, I'm sure it's been said elsewhere in this thread -- with Expedition Everest already at Animal Kingdom, a Matterhorn type ride at the MK is pretty unlikely.

Spike-in-Berlin

Doesn't it seem that the new FLE will be more representative of a wider scope of European styles. For instance the chateau looks french to me. I'm certainly no expert. Little Mermaid seems to have baltic influences. Anyway, I don't think the FLE style will be able to be called German in the future. What is your opinion of the FLE and what it reflects?

PS- all the new styles of the FLE would allow the matterhorn to fit thematically IMO. Even if it is built without the coaster. Perhaps as a restaurant or dark ride such as the rumored runaway mine train kids coaster.

I haven't seen a lot of FLE designs so far but what I saw looked more fantasy cartoon-like than the existing FL. More like taken directly from the movies than from existing buildings.

If I look at the Little Mermaid ride it looks not very similar to any european architecture I know and there is not really of lot of architecture visible anyway. Its more landscaping.
One building, in the center of FLE looks very french, chateau-style from the 17the century (is this the beauty and the beast TS restaurant?). Everything else is too small to identify on the pictures I saw.

raven

I haven't seen a lot of FLE designs so far but what I saw looked more fantasy cartoon-like than the existing FL. More like taken directly from the movies than from existing buildings.

Well, that is the idea of FANTASYland, right?

The FLE design will be taken directly from the movies. Even the outdoor food services in the area will be themed to fit into the new area. Tiny details are not being overlooked.

jt04

If I look at the Little Mermaid ride it looks not very similar to any european architecture I know and there is not really of lot of architecture visible anyway. Its more landscaping.
One building, in the center of FLE looks very french, chateau-style from the 17the century (is this the beauty and the beast TS restaurant?). Everything else is too small to identify on the pictures I saw.

Yes but even the styles used in animation draw their inspiration from somewhere for the most part. This is what I was talking about for the style used in LM. It is in Luthuania...

http://www.ism.lt/uploads/images/dir44/dir2/3_1.php

I haven't figured out Belle's area or even where the story is based but the Aurora mill certainly seems British. The "chateau" is the Cinderella m&g. It will be fun to see how they blend all these styles. Bottom line is, they need to stick to the European backstory and keep the americana toon town from ruining an otherwise amazing concept.

jt04

Well, that is the idea of FANTASYland, right?

The FLE design will be taken directly from the movies. Even the outdoor food services in the area will be themed to fit into the new area. Tiny details are not being overlooked.

This is good news. Creating these immersive worlds will ring the cash registers too. They don't need to worry about return on investment if people feel they are getting value for the ticket price. They will also want to bring the memories home so they will spend. That is why the ttf store does well. But this concept is magnitudes better. Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom