Matterhorn at WDW!

Montu

While it's true that original art showed the ride entering and exiting the mountain, I've not once heard that the central Florida climate made this impossible. That justification makes no sense given that there currently exists a ride that does enter and exit a show building a number of times -- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

I'd like to read more from those who've heard that the Florida climate played a role in enclosing the mountain because I can't imagine how that's true and, certainly given that Disneyland's ride is unique, there must be some reason why they then opted to fully enclose that attraction as well.

Exactly what my point was. Not to mention the precious Everest that everyone raves about, Test Track, and by the same logic even Tower of Terror.

Montu

I've read the bit about the 2 sides looking different in various places.

Yeah so have I. It was in a post from CoffeeJedi on a WDWMagic board. That's why you shouldn't believe everything you read. In fact if you read the whole article, several people posted in response that he was not correct.

And i know that it definitely looks taller from the Tommorowland side because you're standing at a lower elevation.

And you have elevation blue prints that prove this? There is very minimal amounts of elevation change at the Disneyland Resort. I'd love to know where you got this idea.

If you look at pictures from the 2 sides, you will notice subtle differences, such as the "hook" at the top of the mountain being more pronounced from TL.

And if you look at pictures of the two sides of Cinderella Caslte they look different too. Here's an idea- maybe it's because real mountains are not symmetrical? Aside from obvious differences created from the ride track's path, for the most part the Matterhorn was based on the actual Matterhorn Mountain in the Swiss Alps. It's always been clearly said to be a 1/14 scale replica, and the asterix has always been that the peak is slightly more bent on the theme park version than the actual version (By the way, that information came straight from Walt's mouth. Are you going to dispute him as well?). And FYI, the peak's bend is on the Fantastyland side of the mountain, so the fact that you feel it's "more pronounced" from Tormorrowland does nothing for your credibility.

I don't know what it originally being a "100% Tommorowland attraction" has to do with it though.

That was one the early arguments stating that it was deigned to "Strattle two lands."

Disney always themes things so that they'll look right from different lands (The Tower of Terror behind Morocco, or the "steer skulls" on the back of the Tiki Room come to mind).

Do you honestly think the largest E-ticket investment the company had ever made at the time was planned around THE MORCCO PAVILION at Epcot? Wow. Just wow. The ride is situated at the angle it is situated because the originally planned placement was found to be right above very soft ground possibly due to a sink hole. Let me assure you that the Morocco Pavilion had *nothing* to do with it. If they were actually that concerned with sight-lines, they would not have approved the construction of the Swan & Dolphin Resorts (which, before you put your foot in your mouth, *were* approved by WDI before their construction), or if you'd rather something a little "closer to home" Soarin' would not have been placed were it is either.

I've even read that the Tommorowland side of the attraction was briefly labeled "faster" and the Fantasyland side "slower" for short time in the 70's.

And you read that where? Provide us with a link. People have opinions of the two sides of the mountain, some preferring A over B, some B over A. It's really not a whole lot different than the two track's of Florida's Space Mountain in the ride that one gives over the other, though there are more dissimilarities (albeit VERY minor ones) in the Matterhorn, and even at that most of them are due strictly to themed setting more than the ride itself. I assure you one was never "faster" than the other, and one side was absolutely never marketed as being more family while the other was more thrill, as imply here.

And the mountain WAS resurfaced, they plugged the skyway holes, and blended the surrounding snow and rockwork.

Well I suppose you were due for an accurate point somewhere in there! :p Since you're so up on your Matterhorn history I suppose you also know that the mountain has for a number of years now been in a 14 year rehab plan that will ultimately have an end result of basically an entire new mountain around the ride. It was deemed unacceptable to tear the mountain down and rebuild it fresh (ala the inside of Space Mountain's rehab) due to the ride being such a recognizable Disneyland icon. Instead the choice was this 14 year plan (well, on paper it started as a 14 year plan but who knows how long it will *actually* take with Disney sometimes..) where the ride would be closed for several months a year, sectioins of mountain (and support structure) will be torn apart and completely rebuilt. Yes, this involves resurfacing parts of the mountain as well. Last time around entire tunnels were ripped out and redone. Note that while this rehab plan was put "on hold" so as to not close a classic icon attraction of the park during the 50th celebration, the Matterhorn is closed now, has been on or around September 5 and is scheduled to be closed through December 14.

Now do you realize that I know what I'm talking about with this?

Epcot82Guy

indoor rollercoaster, swiss alps mountain, big, nasty Yeti, yeah, REAL different :lol: The only difference really is that Everest is shorter and a little more grittier.

Everest is in the Himalayas. Just for the geographic record. They don't do a lot of bobsledding there... :lookaroun

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes, there are. (plans to refurb SM)
Early stages yet, but things are in motion.
Took the words out of my mouth. There have been plans for over 18 months now :wave:

For the record, Space Port in Orlando was to have EIGHT tracks. Both inside and outside the mountain. This was shrunk down to 4 tracks, still inside and outside the mountain, with each pair of lift hills facing eachother. There was also to be a RCA communications center inside the mountain, and the WEDWay would have passed through it twice. Then the ride was renamed Space Mountain, moved outside the berm (the 2 versions above were where the CoP was built) and shrunk again to a 2 track totally enclosed attraction. The RCA Comms center became RCAs Home of Future Living, an attraction in it`s own right (with a separate `line` for it where todays FastPass line is) and the rest is history.

jedimaster1227

CoffeeJedi

Yeah so have I. It was in a post from CoffeeJedi on a WDWMagic board. That's why you shouldn't believe everything you read. In fact if you read the whole article, several people posted in response that he was not correct.
Actually it wasn't "several people", it was just one loudmouthed jerk named Montu.
You know what? Fine, i can't find the site that i read that originally. I know that i didn't just make it up, and i swear to whatever god that you choose that i saw it somewhere, and i'll continue to look until i find it. But why are you being such a pompous @$$ about it?

And you have elevation blue prints that prove this? There is very minimal amounts of elevation change at the Disneyland Resort. I'd love to know where you got this idea.
There is a slope as you walk from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland. I'm not talking about HUGE elevation changes, just slight ones.

And if you look at pictures of the two sides of Cinderella Caslte they look different too. Here's an idea- maybe it's because real mountains are not symmetrical? Aside from obvious differences created from the ride track's path, for the most part the Matterhorn was based on the actual Matterhorn Mountain in the Swiss Alps. It's always been clearly said to be a 1/14 scale replica, and the asterix has always been that the peak is slightly more bent on the theme park version than the actual version (By the way, that information came straight from Walt's mouth. Are you going to dispute him as well?). And FYI, the peak's bend is on the Fantastyland side of the mountain, so the fact that you feel it's "more pronounced" from Tormorrowland does nothing for your credibility.
My god you're a know-it-all pain!
What is your deal anyway? I just threw out some random facts that i read somewhere, and misinterpreted some pictures, and you've made it your life's work this week to prove that you know more than some other person on the internet! Wow! You must be even more fun to talk to in person. If you would have just been polite in the first place, we wouldn't be wasting everyone's bandwidth with this crap, but you had to go and be a jerk!

Do you honestly think the largest E-ticket investment the company had ever made at the time was planned around THE MORCCO PAVILION at Epcot? Wow. Just wow. The ride is situated at the angle it is situated because the originally planned placement was found to be right above very soft ground possibly due to a sink hole. Let me assure you that the Morocco Pavilion had *nothing* to do with it. If they were actually that concerned with sight-lines, they would not have approved the construction of the Swan & Dolphin Resorts (which, before you put your foot in your mouth, *were* approved by WDI before their construction), or if you'd rather something a little "closer to home" Soarin' would not have been placed were it is either.
Did i ever say that they planned the position to be lined up with Morocco? NO. I said that they specifically designed the back of ToT so that it would seamlessly blend in with Morroco. They did this AFTER doing the sightline tests. Stand over on the side of World Showcase lagoon and look across, the ToT's mediterranean, art-deco color and design blend perfectly with Morocco.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Epcot_maroco.JPG

And you read that where? Provide us with a link. People have opinions of the two sides of the mountain, some preferring A over B, some B over A. It's really not a whole lot different than the two track's of Florida's Space Mountain in the ride that one gives over the other, though there are more dissimilarities (albeit VERY minor ones) in the Matterhorn, and even at that most of them are due strictly to themed setting more than the ride itself. I assure you one was never "faster" than the other, and one side was absolutely never marketed as being more family while the other was more thrill, as imply here.
http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/Disneyland//Secrets/Fantasy/Matterhorn.html

DisneyDragon

And if you look at pictures of the two sides of Cinderella Caslte they look different too. Here's an idea- maybe it's because real mountains are not symmetrical?

(By the way, that information came straight from Walt's mouth. Are you going to dispute him as well?). And FYI, the peak's bend is on the Fantastyland side of the mountain, so the fact that you feel it's "more pronounced" from Tormorrowland does nothing for your credibility.

Do you honestly think the largest E-ticket investment the company had ever made at the time was planned around THE MORCCO PAVILION at Epcot? Wow. Just wow.

Let me assure you that the Morocco Pavilion had *nothing* to do with it. If they were actually that concerned with sight-lines, they would not have approved the construction of the Swan & Dolphin Resorts (which, before you put your foot in your mouth, *were* approved by WDI before their construction), or if you'd rather something a little "closer to home" Soarin' would not have been placed were it is either.

Assure us? Based on your tone so far, you have the first three letters right.

And you read that where? Provide us with a link.

Where are your links?

Well I suppose you were due for an accurate point somewhere in there! :p

Now do you realize that I know what I'm talking about with this?

I think we all realize a lot of things. Dude, seriously, there are better ways to make a point than to join the herds of pompous 'know-it-all's' on the web. Your tone of voice is insulting to many of the knowledgeable people on this forum.

I don't doubt your knowledge too much (unless the insiders can disprove), but I question your character.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Guys, chill please! Too many threads recently have been taken over by bickering. Lets not get this one locked too. Take it to PM if need be, but lets not have Mom AND Steve getting involved again in the same thread :wave:

DisneyDragon

Guys, chill please! To many threads recently have been taken over by bickering. Lets not get this one locked too. Take it to PM if need be, but lets not have Mom AND Steve getting involved again in the same thread :wave:

Totally agree - being knowledgeable is one thing, being rude is another...

Montu

Sorry to be the one to break this to you, but wikipedia and hiddenmickeys.org are two fan sites that require no creditials to post what you *think* is the truth. That's my fault; I thought my request carried the implication that I was suggesting you link to a *credible, legit* site.

In fact I could go to wikipedia right now and change the wording of your Morocco article to include the fact that the main tower of the pavilion was originally intended to be shaped like an Easter Bunny. The reason this is one of only two World Showcase pavilions that is not trimmed in lights for Illuninations os because the lights would break the eggs in the tower's magical easter basket, and it all ties in to the Tower of Terror because Tower is tall like someone rising again from a tomb! So if I post this to wikipedia right now, it's true?

Wilt Dasney

Sorry to be the one to break this to you, but wikipedia and hiddenmickeys.org are two fan sites that require no creditials to post what you *think* is the truth. That's my fault; I thought my request carried the implication that I was suggesting you link to a *credible, legit* site.

In fact I could go to wikipedia right now and change the wording of your Morocco article to include the fact that the main tower of the pavilion was originally intended to be shaped like an Easter Bunny. The reason this is one of only two World Showcase pavilions that is not trimmed in lights for Illuninations os because the lights would break the eggs in the tower's magical easter basket, and it all ties in to the Tower of Terror because Tower is tall like someone rising again from a tomb! So if I post this to wikipedia right now, it's true?

The Wiki link was to a photo of Tower, not an article.

Unless your point was that someone made up the photo.

Plutoboy

Thank you Lee and Lewis for backing me up on the fact the SM is due for a rehab...again like I mentioned all about refreshing the classics. I have no idea what they have in store but I'm sure it will be nothing short of amazing.

Gotta love current CPs!!!!!!:lol:

kaos

The Matterhorn was planned to go to MK, it was supposed to have been built behind "Small World" and would have thematically blended in with the Skyway station.

This was before imagineers decided Matterhorn might be a better fit for World Showcase so that it would balance out the horizon of WS with Japan's own Mt. Fuji.

please cite your source as there was NEVER anything planned behind IASW as it is the entrance to the utilidors and was planned that way

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom