Matterhorn at WDW!

KaliSplash

Old reporter here. Disney did indeed announce a Swiss pavilion back in the mid-90s I think that would have featured a Matterhorn ride. Not first pavalion that was announced that didn't get built, probably won't be the last.

In any event, I can't imagine they'd build one now, given Expedition Everest.

yensid63

Question: if the Matterhorn was planned for MK, why wasn't it built?
Also, why wasn't Storybook Canal Boats, Casey Jr Circus Train, or Alice in Wonderland built. Where they planned for too?

DubyooDeeDubyoo

The Tommorowland side is "harsher" looking with a craggier, more angled face, as well as "taller" because you're walking up a hill to get to it. In contrast, the Fantasyland side is softer looking, and doesn't seem as tall.
They might have even played with the forced perspective between the 2 sides as well.

I think you're making stuff up. The Matterhorn started out as 100% a Tomorrowland attraction. Between the pathways for the sleds, the waterfalls, and the holes for the Skyway there wasn't very much of a profile on either side. It later became listed as a 100% Fantasyland attraction. The 1980s Fantasyland remake redesigned the old festival-themed colors and structures with the look of a whimsical Netherlands village that looks appropriate sitting at the base of the Matterhorn.

Aside for some more snow and definition throughout the 60s, the mountain has never been resurfaced or anything, and it wasn't designed intentionally to straddle two lands, it just turned out that way.

Question: if the Matterhorn was planned for MK, why wasn't it built?=
Climate, same reason why Space Mountain was originally supposed to have tracks that zipped in and out of the dome, but was later fully enclosed.

MickeyTigg

Hi All!

I am not sure if this has been posted or not but I have gotten some news today. I have talked with a CM while I was getting breakfast and he said that they are going to build a "matterhorn" (sp?) here at disney world. and that they are going to be changing space mountain to Rockin Space mountain, something to the effect of rockin roller coaster. If this has already been posted im sorry. If not I hope this is good news...

Ahhh....the ever popular CM rumors. There has been no indication of this being even talked about. I'm sure if WDW was to get a Matterhorn ride, it would have happened long ago.

figment1985

The funny things some people say. You can't believe everything...

I spoke with a real disney imagineer a few weeks ago (dine with an imagineer lunch at MGM), and there are no HUGE plans like that even in the making. He said it would be at least 5-8 years before we see some big additions or changes.

Epcot82Guy

Just a brief history lesson:

The Space Port (Space Mountain's original name) was indeed going to feature the rollercoaster attraction on the exterior. The interior was a showcase building I believe like Innoventions featuring space exploration materials, the load platform/queue, etc. Later, because of design issues and climate issues, it went inside. It was successful, so all the attractions went into their respective domes.

scottnj1966

Old reporter here. Disney did indeed announce a Swiss pavilion back in the mid-90s I think that would have featured a Matterhorn ride. Not first pavalion that was announced that didn't get built, probably won't be the last.

In any event, I can't imagine they'd build one now, given Expedition Everest.

Something like it was suppose to be built in Japan and Fuji wanted to sponser it. Disney had to decline because they already had Kodak as a major sponser for years

Montu

Climate, same reason why Space Mountain was originally supposed to have tracks that zipped in and out of the dome, but was later fully enclosed.

It's always so cute whene people make up things to justify points :)

Outdoor roller coasters in and around mountains would NEVER work in Florida, you're DEFINITELY RIGHT!!!1!

Hey how come there's no smiley that shakes its head in disgust? I'll just use this one because it's purple. :eek:

imagineer boy

Montu said:
It's always so cute whene people make up things to justify points :)

Outdoor roller coasters in and around mountains would NEVER work in Florida, you're DEFINITELY RIGHT!!!1!

Hey how come there's no smiley that shakes its head in disgust? I'll just use this one because it's purple. :eek:

Um, its true. I've read that they were planning to have the rollercoaster go in and out of SM when it was in concept stages in hundreds of imagineering books.

Madison

Um, its true. I've read that they were planning to have the rollercoaster go in and out of SM when it was in concept stages in hundreds of imagineering books.

While it's true that original art showed the ride entering and exiting the mountain, I've not once heard that the central Florida climate made this impossible. That justification makes no sense given that there currently exists a ride that does enter and exit a show building a number of times -- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

I'd like to read more from those who've heard that the Florida climate played a role in enclosing the mountain because I can't imagine how that's true and, certainly given that Disneyland's ride is unique, there must be some reason why they then opted to fully enclose that attraction as well.

Plutoboy

There are plans to upgrade Space Mountain!! Whether it is going to happen next year or the year after I don't believe anyone really knows the exact time frame. It's all apart of the refreshing the classics program, that was started with IASW and then POTC. Strong rumors have HM next on the list with JC and finally Space Mountain....there has been some talk of Country BEars getting some major work on them.

In terms of the Matterhorn coming to WDW or the MK... I wouldn't hold my breath. We already have Everest and a Yeti of our own..doesn't make sense to put another mountain with a similar story into the resort.

CoffeeJedi

I think you're making stuff up. The Matterhorn started out as 100% a Tomorrowland attraction. Between the pathways for the sleds, the waterfalls, and the holes for the Skyway there wasn't very much of a profile on either side. It later became listed as a 100% Fantasyland attraction. The 1980s Fantasyland remake redesigned the old festival-themed colors and structures with the look of a whimsical Netherlands village that looks appropriate sitting at the base of the Matterhorn.

Aside for some more snow and definition throughout the 60s, the mountain has never been resurfaced or anything, and it wasn't designed intentionally to straddle two lands, it just turned out that way.
I've read the bit about the 2 sides looking different in various places. And i know that it definitely looks taller from the Tommorowland side because you're standing at a lower elevation. If you look at pictures from the 2 sides, you will notice subtle differences, such as the "hook" at the top of the mountain being more pronounced from TL. I don't know what it originally being a "100% Tommorowland attraction" has to do with it though. Disney always themes things so that they'll look right from different lands (The Tower of Terror behind Morocco, or the "steer skulls" on the back of the Tiki Room come to mind). I've even read that the Tommorowland side of the attraction was briefly labeled "faster" and the Fantasyland side "slower" for short time in the 70's.

And the mountain WAS resurfaced, they plugged the skyway holes, and blended the surrounding snow and rockwork.

Timmay

WDW is not a no fly zone. That would only happen if we were as a country at alert level orange. That has not happened for awhile now.

Nope, I believe you are wrong. Last time I checked, WDW is listed by the FAA as a restricted flight zone, meaning you have to remain above 3000 feet or maintain a 3.3 mile distance.

CoffeeJedi

Also, the red beacons are there in case of emergencies really, why else would a plane be flying that low? I think its more a case of an airliner coming in to MCO with engine problems and they have to attempt an emergency landing on the highway. In that case, "restricted airspace" or "no-fly zone" don't really apply. You don't want them hitting the top of something if its nighttime.

Madison

indoor rollercoaster, swiss alps mountain, big, nasty Yeti, yeah, REAL different :lol: The only difference really is that Everest is shorter and a little more grittier.

There are certainly shades of grey among roller coasters such that, while the theming and show building might be similar between the two attractions, the ride experience itself is not. I don't think that's reason enough to bring the Bobsleds to Florida, but they're appeal to a slightly different demographic. Given their similarities, I think there's more to the argument that Everest *is* a clone of the Bobsleds as much as there'll ever be one.

Speaking generally, I'm tired of mountains. I'd love to see for WDI to challenge itself and begin creating new, attractive show buildings that share the majesty of a mountain without actually being just another mountain. It feels cheap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom