Matterhorn and Pinocchio getting refurbished starting July 30th, 2018

mmelka

The more I think about missing Matterhorn, the more bummed out I get. I understand the ride experience has diminished since the last time I rode in 2002, but I would have liked to see the new Yeti in person, not to mention that my wife has never ridden Matterhorn and its one of those exclusive rides that WDW does not have. Now she'll always hold WDW over my head :rolleyes:

dweezil78

By all that's holy, please believe me when I say that the ride was 100% more pleasant before they brought in the newly-designed bobsleds a few years ago. It was never smooth, but riders used to have plenty of leg room and more padding. The sleds used to actually be comfortable to ride in.

Some folks have no problem with the new sleds, but for me-- I come off the ride now feeling like I've been kicked in the back. Matterhorn went from one of my 3 favorite rides to something I won't go near anymore, and it's all because of the stupid new sleds.

I’m still shocked I was able to conceive a second child after the new Matterhorn cars were introduced.

dweezil78

I understand the ride experience has diminished since the last time I rode in 2002

What are you talking about? The new cars may be a little uncomfortable, but not by a lot and many people are happy to have individual seats vs the old lap sitting.

The updates a few yrs ago with new Harolds, lifthill/scenes, and audio were very well received except for some fans who accused them of ‘pandering’ by putting in some old ride vehicles. The experience is far more exciting now with the amped up audio that makes it seem like you’re being chased and the better AAs. Way better than it was IMO!

dweezil78

The crystals were cool. Most people who ride don’t know what the Skyway buckets are supposed to be.

I always thought the crystals scene was cheapo and looked like the queue for Superman at Magic Mountain. I think it's far cooler seeing Harold's stash of stuff. It looks lived in (by a Yeti). Plus, you can barely even see the skyway bucket, most of it is old Matterhorn cars and scraps.

Matterhorn-Wells-Expedition.jpg

poiuytghj7823-613x409.jpg

TROR

You must walk out cursing under your breath and angrily shaking your fist everytime you leave the Tiki Room then, eh?
Here's my hottest take of ever: I don't think the Tiki Room is that good. If it wasn't such an incredibly historic attraction I wouldn't be opposed to either a restructure of the show or have it removed for something better. But like I said, it's incredibly historic so if they ever even touch it I'll be enraged.

mickEblu

Here's my hottest take of ever: I don't think the Tiki Room is that good. If it wasn't such an incredibly historic attraction I wouldn't be opposed to either a restructure of the show or have it removed for something better. But like I said, it's incredibly historic so if they ever even touch it I'll be enraged.

Agreed. Besides they can’t fit anything in that space that would make it worth losing Tiki Room.... unlike Autopia.

mickEblu

Tiki room is about charm, nostalgia and history. I’m pretty sure the those clicking AAs aren’t wowing anyone. I think it’s ok for a theme park like DL to keep it around just for the reasons mentioned. Especially since it’s so tiny.

mmelka

What are you talking about? The new cars may be a little uncomfortable, but not by a lot and many people are happy to have individual seats vs the old lap sitting.

The updates a few yrs ago with new Harolds, lifthill/scenes, and audio were very well received except for some fans who accused them of ‘pandering’ by putting in some old ride vehicles. The experience is far more exciting now with the amped up audio that makes it seem like you’re being chased and the better AAs. Way better than it was IMO!

I think the word "experience" was used incorrectly by me. I just meant that the ride is being reported much rougher than I remember. I think the yeti and other additions would be welcome to see.

dweezil78

Agreed. Besides they can’t fit anything in that space that would make it worth losing Tiki Room.... unlike Autopia.

It's definitely not for everyone. I love it (after avoiding it for my teenage years and most of my 20s) and visit regularly -- especially when I'm there with my kids. Nothing better than when you can time grabbing a Dole Whip with those doors opening so you can enjoy it inside with the a/c!!!

dweezil78

I think the word "experience" was used incorrectly by me. I just meant that the ride is being reported much rougher than I remember. I think the yeti and other additions would be welcome to see.

Ah gotcha. Nah, don't get too hung up on it. It was rough and painful before too, it's just marginally worse now. The change to the cars is relatively new too, it happened in 2012 right around the same time the Cars/Buena Vista St. opened.

TROR

Tiki room is about charm, nostalgia and history. I’m pretty sure the those clicking AAs aren’t wowing anyone. I think it’s ok for a theme park like DL to keep it around just for the reasons mentioned. Especially since it’s so tiny.
Kind of the same with Mr. Lincoln. I adore Mr. Lincoln because I love American and Civil War history, but I understand why it's not something people clamor to see. Nonetheless, it's historic and there's nothing that could utilize that space better. Certainly not a Walt Disney animatronic or Muppet Vision 3D. Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Mr. Lincoln, and the Tiki Room are the only attractions where I'll declare any change is bad. In regards to the show, that is. Technological improvements such as new AA's, lighting, audio, etc. are fine. Just nothing that interferes with the artist's original intent.

It's definitely not for everyone. I love it (after avoiding it for my teenage years and most of my 20s) and visit regularly -- especially when I'm there with my kids. Nothing better than when you can time grabbing a Dole Whip with those doors opening so you can enjoy it inside with the a/c!!!
I discovered the Dole Whip a couple of years ago and was surprised to find it actually lived up to the hype. Recently found a place not too far where I can get Dole Whips outside of Disneyland. Good stuff.

dweezil78

Kind of the same with Mr. Lincoln. I adore Mr. Lincoln because I love American and Civil War history, but I understand why it's not something people clamor to see. Nonetheless, it's historic and there's nothing that could utilize that space better. Certainly not a Walt Disney animatronic or Muppet Vision 3D. Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Mr. Lincoln, and the Tiki Room are the only attractions where I'll declare any change is bad. In regards to the show, that is. Technological improvements such as new AA's, lighting, audio, etc. are fine. Just nothing that interferes with the artist's original intent.

I discovered the Dole Whip a couple of years ago and was surprised to find it actually lived up to the hype. Recently found a place not too far where I can get Dole Whips outside of Disneyland. Good stuff.

I love Lincoln for so many reasons -- it's a nice little theater and has great a/c, it has Paul Frees, elements of American Adventure (plus "Golden Dreams" song!), the new Lincoln AA is pretty nifty, there's American history which always feels so Walt-y... And then that great inspiring ending with "Battle Hymn of the Republic!" I never any previous incarnations of Lincoln before the changes in 2009, but it sounded like it lost its path for a little bit there.

Also, if you like Dole Whip, make sure you get the Dole/Vanilla swirl if you're ever out in WDW. IMO it's hard to go back after you've had it!

mickEblu

I honestly think we re at a point where they need to start considering some of these attractions as historical landmarks.

dweezil78

I honestly think we re at a point where they need to start considering some of these attractions as historical landmarks.

Maybe... I do often wonder if DL hadn't sat so relatively stagnant for so many years and they had swapped out some of this stuff before it sat for 50/60 years if anyone would have been sad if they were removed or think of them as fondly as we do now.

mickEblu

Maybe... I do often wonder if DL hadn't sat so relatively stagnant for so many years and they had swapped out some of this stuff before it sat for 50/60 years if anyone would have been sad if they were removed or think of them as fondly as we do now.

Time definitely plays a big part but so do the quality/scale and place in DL history. Considering the scale and attention to detail of POTC for example, I can’t imagine it being an attraction designed to only last one or two decades. Attractions like POTC and HM were built to last. They are so grand and so much a part of the park fabric that tearing them down or replacing them with something else would almost be a guaranteed failure. Which is why instead they just tinker with them to death.

Attractions like GOTG Are designed to be swapped out every decade so they can never compare to the older attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom