Matterhorn and Pinocchio getting refurbished starting July 30th, 2018

truecoat

I'm basing it what Joe Rohde had said about it at D23:

"You have to understand, it’s a giant complicated machine sitting on top of, like, a 46 foot tall tower in the middle of a finished building. So, it’s really hard to fix, but we are working on it. And we continue to work on it. We have tried several “things”, none of them quite get to the key, turning of the 40 foot tower inside of a finished building, but we are working on it….. I will fix the Yeti someday, I swear. "

If there is different information, I'd be happy to look at it and change my opinion. However until then it appears the issue is still trying to fix a tower inside a finished building which can't be turned.

Yeti fix.jpg

Rich T

I'm basing it what Joe Rohde had said about it at D23:

"You have to understand, it’s a giant complicated machine sitting on top of, like, a 46 foot tall tower in the middle of a finished building. So, it’s really hard to fix, but we are working on it. And we continue to work on it. We have tried several “things”, none of them quite get to the key, turning of the 40 foot tower inside of a finished building, but we are working on it….. I will fix the Yeti someday, I swear. "

If there is different information, I'd be happy to look at it and change my opinion. However until then it appears the issue is still trying to fix a tower inside a finished building which can't be turned.
With all due respect to Mr. Rohde and the good things he's helped create (expensive "research" trips and all)...and admitting that I'm no engineer...

Okay, if you were designing a huge, expensive ride with a huge, complicated, expensive AA figure that was supposed to be a signature attraction for decades and decades to come... wouldn't you think ahead of time that "really hard to fix' should *NOT* be part of that AA's description?

TwilightZone

I must be one of 5 people who never cared much for that animatronic. It's cool, but it's not pirates cool or navi river journey cool, or even mr. potato head cool.

Rich T

I must be one of 5 people who never cared much for that animatronic. It's cool, but it's not pirates cool or navi river journey cool, or even mr. potato head cool.
I think it's a huge mis-use of funds. All that expense should not have gone into a figure that most riders only saw for a split-second. On the other hand, I really like the animated shadow projection in the earlier scene.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
With all due respect to Mr. Rohde and the good things he's helped create (expensive "research" trips and all)...and admitting that I'm no engineer...

Okay, if you were designing a huge, expensive ride with a huge, complicated, expensive AA figure that was supposed to be a signature attraction for decades and decades to come... wouldn't you think ahead of time that "really hard to fix' should *NOT* be part of that AA's description?

If it really was an easy fix as some have claimed then it would have been fixed already.

With all due respect to marni, the legal aspect while compelling and probably partially true isn't likely the only reason. Because with all the safety work that CAL/OSHA required for here in DLR, they can find a way to easily put a safety backup in place. However with that said its as good of an explanation as any other.

I suspect that reality is more a combination of all the stories, there likely is parts that can't be fixed easily while its inside the mountain, requiring a longer refurb which isn't possible now, and legal wants safety features added if its going to continue to run. Plus a few other things that we aren't aware of. The truth is usually not one story but a combination of all stories just told from different perspectives.

Anyways, I'm sure someday Joe will get his wish and get the ability to fix it and fans will rejoice.

George Lucas on a Bench

I remember when the Swedish Chef in Muppet* Vision broke and they crudely slapped some plywood to cover up the hole he comes out of. He was obviously one of the most advanced AAs at Disney.

Rich T

If it really was an easy fix as some have claimed then it would have been fixed already.

With all due respect to marni, the legal aspect while compelling and probably partially true isn't likely the only reason. Because with all the safety work that CAL/OSHA required for here in DLR, they can find a way to easily put a safety backup in place. However with that said its as good of an explanation as any other.

I suspect that reality is more a combination of all the stories, there likely is parts that can't be fixed easily while its inside the mountain, requiring a longer refurb which isn't possible now, and legal wants safety features added if its going to continue to run. Plus a few other things that we aren't aware of. The truth is usually not one story but a combination of all stories just told from different perspectives.

Anyways, I'm sure someday Joe will get his wish and get the ability to fix it and fans will rejoice.
Again, designing an incredibly expensive AA that's "really hard to fix" in the first place...let alone one that is barely viewable by riders...was probably not the best use of budget in the history of ride design.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Again, designing an incredibly expensive AA that's "really hard to fix" in the first place...let alone one that is barely viewable by riders...was probably not the best use of budget in the history of ride design.

I'm not disputing that, but we are where we are now. I'm sure a lot of decisions today have to do with some of those decisions from the past. They learn and incorporate what they've learned into new projects. Its the price of trying to be the ambitious team that all the fandom wants WDI to be.

Admittedly they shouldn't have done a lot of things which I'm sure they have buyers remorse on. But the question is how do they move forward. This idea that its an easy fix but there is no will to fix it just doesn't fly. Its more complicated then anyone here wants to admit.

Rich T

I'm not disputing that, but we are where we are now. I'm sure a lot of decisions today have to do with some of those decisions from the past. They learn and incorporate what they've learned into new projects. Its the price of trying to be the ambitious team that all the fandom wants WDI to be.

Admittedly they shouldn't have done a lot of things which I'm sure they have buyers remorse on. But the question is how do they move forward. This idea that its an easy fix but there is no will to fix it just doesn't fly. Its more complicated then anyone here wants to admit.
Yes, it's complicated. It should never have been built that way. I'm sorry, but having sat through many Everest documentaries where Eisner and Mr. Rohde boasted on and on about how amazing this stupid AA was and how biologically accurate they'd made it and how they wanted to make it "smell" right, and on and on and on and on blah blah blah...

Then it works for a bit and then *WHOOPEE CUSHION SOUND EFFECT*. Whoops, maybe they were too busy taking "research" trips and wondering what a Yeti should smell like when maybe they should have made sure they were spending millions on something that would actually function. No one's perfect, but everyone who perpetrated this fiasco is doing just fine with their wonderful careers while all the "normal" people who don't get to write off globe-trotting journeys as "research" get stuck with paying premium prices for a half-a__d experience. I'm not letting them off the hook yet. :D

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yes, it's complicated. It should never have been built that way. I'm sorry, but having sat through many Everest documentaries where Eisner and Mr. Rohde boasted on and on about how amazing this stupid AA was and how biologically accurate they'd made it and how they wanted to make it "smell" right, and on and on and on and on blah blah blah...

Then it works for a bit and then *WHOOPEE CUSHION SOUND EFFECT*. Whoops, maybe they were too busy taking "research" trips and wondering what a Yeti should smell like when maybe they should have made sure they were spending millions on something that would actually function. No one's perfect, but everyone who perpetrated this fiasco is doing just fine with their wonderful careers while all the "normal" people who don't get to write off globe-trotting journeys as "research" get stuck with paying premium prices for a half-a__d experience. I'm not letting them off the hook yet. :D

I agree I'm not letting them off the hook by any means, its something that should be fixed. Its a risk that cost a lot and didn't get the bang long term that it should have. You can't swing for the fences like that and not take a risk. I'm hoping it'll get fixed here in the next couple years as investments in the parks keep happening, especially at WDW right now.

Rich T

Just rode Matterhorn for the first time a week ago. I appreciated the history and it's non-disco yeti but that ride needs to be completely rebuilt. Being outside looking at the mountain was a lot more enjoyable than being in it.
By all that's holy, please believe me when I say that the ride was 100% more pleasant before they brought in the newly-designed bobsleds a few years ago. It was never smooth, but riders used to have plenty of leg room and more padding. The sleds used to actually be comfortable to ride in.

Some folks have no problem with the new sleds, but for me-- I come off the ride now feeling like I've been kicked in the back. Matterhorn went from one of my 3 favorite rides to something I won't go near anymore, and it's all because of the stupid new sleds.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
By all that's holy, please believe me when I say that the ride was 100% more pleasant before they brought in the newly-designed bobsleds a few years ago. It was never smooth, but riders used to have plenty of leg room and more padding. The sleds used to actually be comfortable to ride in.

Some folks have no problem with the new sleds, but for me-- I come off the ride now feeling like I've been kicked in the back. Matterhorn went from one of my 3 favorite rides to something I won't go near anymore, and it's all because of the stupid new sleds.

Gotta learn to lean into those turns bruh ;):p:cool:

Rascal!

It looks like Matterhorn and Pinocchio will go down on July 30th with Matterhorn saying nothing more than “Fall 2018” for a reopening. Those are two pretty big attractions to lose there. Hoping they get Matterhorn running in early Fall as I hate missing Anaheim specific attractions when we go out there.
They want to get rides like that refurbished before the busiest seasons, before a person knows it Labor Day will be here

D

Deleted member 107043

Just rode Matterhorn for the first time a week ago. I appreciated the history and it's non-disco yeti but that ride needs to be completely rebuilt. Being outside looking at the mountain was a lot more enjoyable than being in it.

I agree, and you would have been appalled if you'd seen the old "Glacier Grotto" that was there before 1978.

EkTPBKBC_9_65_20B.jpg

Yesterland has a good article about it.

The Matterhorn is fun, and yes it's iconic, but overall the ride experience is overrated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom