Matterhorn and Pinocchio getting refurbished starting July 30th, 2018

vancee

Really? My sources, plied with Pinot Grigio and an early summer fruit n' cheese platter on the patio, say Matterhorn will be getting an all-new queue built out into the area in front of the ride and taking up some of the existing Motorboat Cruise area. Gone will be the cheap-and-cheesy (Sorry, Walt) circa 1959 chained switchbacks and Standby line that stretches around the Submarine Lagoon, to be replaced by a proper 21st century queue design that effectively and aesthetically accommodates Fastpass, Standby and Single Rider.
I’m sorry but your source is wrong. My source said instead of the yeti, Olaf is going to do a cute and innocent roar at guests as they fly by.

TROR

He didn't? He repeated that exposed queue in 1961 with the Flying Saucers, and again in 1966 with it's a small world. And although he passed away in late '66, the plans were complete for the early 1967 debut of Pirates chain switchbacks along the side of the building, and 1969's plain switchbacks behind the house for the Haunted Mansion.

Walt's stuff for the 1964-65 World's Fair was no different, even though he had the deep pockets of American Industry to pay for stuff. People waited in long switchbacks lines out in the New York heat and humidity each summer in metal barricade switchbacks...
Mustang%20fair.%23CN3430-308.jpg

Before they finally and mercifully snaked their way inside the pavilion and got loaded into a new Ford, Mercury or Lincoln convertible for their ride through Walt Disney's Magic Skyway.
MS2.jpg

The Carousel of Progress, a beautiful building and pavilion with many exhibits besides the main revolving theater show, was also surrounded by plain switchbacks.

An argument could be made that the August, 1967 debut of Monsanto's Adventure Thru Inner Space was the first fully themed queue, but that was an aberration for Walt's era.

microscope.jpg
I've always heard, after a visit to Knott's, Walt noticed the hidden queues there and, as a result, did not like the queue for the Matterhorn. Could be nonsense, though, honestly.

socalifornian

Aside from nostalgia is there any reason to keep the Matterhorn Bobsleds and not replace it with something new and better?

I'd be curious to know what someone here under 30 thinks.

Under 30. It’s definitely apart of the parks identity, and one of the things that just makes Disneyland Park feel better than Magic Kingdom. If possible, the queue should be moved inside the mountain with a themed environment. The old motorboat area is about the same size as Epcot’s Frozen ride tho, so maybe moving the Matterhorn queue out there isn’t such a bad idea now that a Frozen ride will be reaching more resorts. I also wouldn’t mind if it reached the Cinderella castle height by growing 42 feet. It should probably remain shorter than Everest, 10ft will do

PB Watermelon

I hope one day they just completely overhaul Pinocchio. It's one of my favorite films of all time, and for a ride at Disneyland, I thought it deserved far better. It's not that big of a deal, but I think about that every time the Pinocchio comes up in conversation.

TP2000

TP2000, does this also mean other additions and changes are coming to the old Motorboat area?

Sorry, no clue. She just said that the Matterhorn queue would be rebuilt on the north side of the mountain using some of the former Fantasyland Autopia queue and Motorboat Cruise queue area to reroute the walking paths. Apparently there is this giant push from the industrial engineers in TDA to clean up and fix all the pinch points and crowded areas of Disneyland as much as possible before Star Wars Land opens a year from now.

The Matterhorn queue won't be the only project for this, and some stuff for this project has already been completed; Dumbo queue, Small World queue, Fantasyland planters, Adventureland shops/patios, etc., etc.

There's apparently a lot more to come as Disneyland gets ready to host the world next year.

D.Silentu

Sorry, no clue. She just said that the Matterhorn queue would be rebuilt on the north side of the mountain using some of the former Fantasyland Autopia queue and Motorboat Cruise queue area to reroute the walking paths.
I'll be fascinated to see how this is accomplished. Using the old Motorboat queue, guests would have to cross the main pathway surrounding the mountain at some point. Of course, this is the same complication the left track exit has, crossing the main queue line. Furthermore, I'll be curious to see how much of Fantasyland's unused space is left over for future attractions.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It's the weird way my body handles growing old. I take afternoon naps a lot now, and then find myself up until 2am and then up again by 7am. But it also helps with performing surgical sass strikes on this message board when no one is looking.

Afternoon naps are the greatest things aren't they....

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Sorry, no clue. She just said that the Matterhorn queue would be rebuilt on the north side of the mountain using some of the former Fantasyland Autopia queue and Motorboat Cruise queue area to reroute the walking paths. Apparently there is this giant push from the industrial engineers in TDA to clean up and fix all the pinch points and crowded areas of Disneyland as much as possible before Star Wars Land opens a year from now.

The Matterhorn queue won't be the only project for this, and some stuff for this project has already been completed; Dumbo queue, Small World queue, Fantasyland planters, Adventureland shops/patios, etc., etc.

There's apparently a lot more to come as Disneyland gets ready to host the world next year.

All these little projects add up, we'll call it the Disneyland Crowd Control project. Honestly I'm not sure why a lot of this wasn't rolled into the 60th projects, but hey better late than never. I know some of it was started back then, such as the Main St overflow paths. But sometimes some of this seems like an afterthought. Anyways I'm glad to see more investment put into the park beyond just major projects.

EPCOTCenterLover

Thank you!

The_Mesh_Hatter

I'll be fascinated to see how this is accomplished. Using the old Motorboat queue, guests would have to cross the main pathway surrounding the mountain at some point. Of course, this is the same complication the left track exit has, crossing the main queue line. Furthermore, I'll be curious to see how much of Fantasyland's unused space is left over for future attractions.

It could always be executed by having the current walkway hug the north face just a little looser and make it a ramp that bridges over the queue ala POTC. This is very good news. I do hope the Indy entrance is revisited in the future.

George Lucas on a Bench

Matterhorn's waiting line is so charmingly antiquated. Cramped and awkard in that quintessential Disneyland way. It may have even been perfect years ago when the park wasn't as crowded, people were slimmer and Fastpass didn't exist. Even getting in and out of the cars is awkard because of the weird design. Butts are always falling out. It's just so awkard and charming.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom