Mary Poppins Sequel in the works

Rich Brownn

Saw the film today. Have to say I loved 90% of it. Yes, its an homage (or is it pastiche?) of the original, and follows a lot of the same beats (a few detours along the way). But it was obviously made with much love and care, and is surprisingly uncynical. It goes for the heart sincerely. Blunt is beyond magnificent in what could have been a mine trap of a role, but I really can't fault any of the cast (One could have done without the Topsy number, but the same could be said about Uncle Albert in the original - unnecessary but fun). In I had any quibbles it was mostly the underuse of Colin Firth and the jumble of the resolution of the bank dilemma (Without spoiling anything was it really necessary for Mary to just stand there until the last minute?). But the finale - especially Michael's joyous recall of his memories - leftest me grinning :)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Of all the live action children's movies that have flopped, MPR had something they lacked... joy.

And songs and dance.

Not the best, but... great.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m having a hard time with the plain as day “casting decision” at the end. Which is hard to fathom. They subbed in a legend for a part that was obviously meant for another legend...it really stands out

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Saw the film today. Have to say I loved 90% of it. Yes, its an homage (or is it pastiche?) of the original, and follows a lot of the same beats (a few detours along the way). But it was obviously made with much love and care, and is surprisingly uncynical. It goes for the heart sincerely. Blunt is beyond magnificent in what could have been a mine trap of a role, but I really can't fault any of the cast (One could have done without the Topsy number, but the same could be said about Uncle Albert in the original - unnecessary but fun). In I had any quibbles it was mostly the underuse of Colin Firth and the jumble of the resolution of the bank dilemma (Without spoiling anything was it really necessary for Mary to just stand there until the last minute?). But the finale - especially Michael's joyous recall of his memories - leftest me grinning :)

Under stating that part a bit, aren’t ya??

I will say I loved the craftsmanship of it...it was obviously done with highest quality in mind...and nostalgia...

But they could have also called it “The Nanny Awakens”...if you know what I mean 😉

GiveMeTheMusic

I’m having a hard time with the plain as day “casting decision” at the end. Which is hard to fathom. They subbed in a legend for a part that was obviously meant for another legend...it really stands out

Julie Andrews declined a cameo before the story/script was even written. She said she didn't want to pull focus from Emily Blunt or take her spotlight - a gracious and classy reason. The "other" legend is friends with the director and perfect for her role based on her description in the books.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Oops, I posted this in the MP Ride thread, please excuse the cross-post...

Mary Poppins Returns

Critics:
  • RT Recommend: 79
  • RT Critics Score: 73
  • Metacritic Score: 66 (like the early RT scores, this should go up since they only have a small number {47} of reviews calculated thus far)

Audience:
  • RT users: 78 (this has jumped up 6 points in two days) with 1,889 reviews
  • IMDB users: 76 with 1,075 reviews
  • CinemaScore: A- (ouch... not good news for huge profits in the long run, though, like other Disney sequels, nostalgia makes up for that. Cf. Cinderella and the PotC franchise)

Overall... not going to be the smash hit like the original, but, well enough liked to be considered successful. Needs about $400 worldwide B.O. to break even. Has an excellent chance of being profitable in the end, even if it only happens in the post-theatrical window.[/QUOTE]

Tick Tock

Rich Brownn

Under stating that part a bit, aren’t ya??

I will say I loved the craftsmanship of it...it was obviously done with highest quality in mind...and nostalgia...

But they could have also called it “The Nanny Awakens”...if you know what I mean 😉
Well, if P.L. Travers could recycle, why not Disney? :D The original "MP" was also the only film ever to play Radio City twice (although the first time it actually didn't do well, giving Disney executives a brief heart attack until they realized it only underperformed in NYC)

Sped2424

Original Poster
Saw it today for what it's worth let me state is this film practically perfect? No but no film ever truly is if I'm being honest (and consider me sacrilegious but I feel the original film also has faults minor though they may be). What this film is however is a Hollywood musical of old brought to life wonderfully in the year 2018. If I were to fault it id say some of the ideas pay reverence to the original film a tad to close for my liking, but it's entirely forgivable given the love, charm, and as corny as it is to say magic that has been given to Mary Poopins Returns. 9/10 for me

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well, if P.L. Travers could recycle, why not Disney? :D The original "MP" was also the only film ever to play Radio City twice (although the first time it actually didn't do well, giving Disney executives a brief heart attack until they realized it only underperformed in NYC)

Right...but that’s not the same thing, slugger 😉

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Saw it today for what it's worth let me state is this film practically perfect? No but no film ever truly is if I'm being honest (and consider me sacrilegious but I feel the original film also has faults minor though they may be). What this film is however is a Hollywood musical of old brought to life wonderfully in the year 2018. If I were to fault it id say some of the ideas pay reverence to the original film a tad to close for my liking, but it's entirely forgivable given the love, charm, and as corny as it is to say magic that has been given to Mary Poopins Returns. 9/10 for me

I’d say 7/8...right where the critics put it. Though I don’t trust them much anymore...they tend to make reviews based on how they’ll look reviewing it - not really what the actual merits of the story are.

Such is life. The one thing I’ll say is that the main critic complaint - the songs - didn’t hold true for me. They were fine...very much “homage”...but fine.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Julie Andrews declined a cameo before the story/script was even written. She said she didn't want to pull focus from Emily Blunt or take her spotlight - a gracious and classy reason. The "other" legend is friends with the director and perfect for her role based on her description in the books.

Yeah...I don’t believe that.
There’s more there than that. I would guess it’s her not wanting to have anything to do with a part that’s defining to a level bigger than anything this side of Dorothy.

Poppins was probably one of the 3 most identifiable Disney movies ever. It may not have been about money...but i think it definitely could be about that.

Sped2424

Original Poster
I’d say 7/8...right where the critics put it. Though I don’t trust them much anymore...they tend to make reviews based on how they’ll look reviewing it - not really what the actual merits of the story are.

Such is life. The one thing I’ll say is that the main critic complaint - the songs - didn’t hold true for me. They were fine...very much “homage”...but fine.
That's a shame I feel nowhere to go but up and trip a little light were some of the finer songs and memorable given my mom was singing both leaving the theater! And for her that's a tough task to get her to remember something on a first viewing! My personal favorite is a cover is not a book given the playful vaudeville feel of it ( and the chicago esk intro don't think I didn't see that rob marshall).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom