Mary Poppins Sequel in the works

Brer Oswald

The colony calls me 'Snowflake.'
I’m not sure what you did, but I assume it was a fair criticism. He was not a perfect man. Neither am I. But there’s a huge difference between a fair criticism and the ignorance that come out of Streep’s mouth. Not to mention the fact that the ignorant statements were so wide spread that even I heard them.

Sped2424

Original Poster
I’m not sure what you did, but I assume it was a fair criticism. He was not a perfect man. Neither am I. But there’s a huge difference between a fair criticism and the ignorance that come out of Streep’s mouth. Not to mention the fact that the ignorant statements were so wide spread that even I heard them.
Regardless of her opinion on man niether she nor you or I have met you would be silly to miss out on this movie for that reason!

Magenta Panther

Correct. There is a big difference between criticism (which, if based on real flaws, is defensible) and outright slander, which is not. And slander is what Streep did. She ignorantly mouthed the old anti-Semite/misogynist/racist crap about Walt that's been debunked over and over by people who knew him. When said people corrected her, she said nothing. What? Her apologize? She's MERYL STREEP. On your way, peasants! What a tool.

Brer Oswald

An apology for what, exactly? And for who?
An apology by Streep for slandering Walt. If she was going to take a job in the sequel to what could be considered Walt’s defining cinematic masterpiece, the least she could do is apologize.

Last edited:

Tick Tock

I know this won't be the most popular opinion around here, but dare I suggest Walt would most likely (based on what we know of him while alive) be more upset over the fact this film is actually being made than he would over what some past-her-prime Hollywood actress spouted off about him.
"I’ve never believed in doing sequels. I didn’t want to waste the time I have doing a sequel; I’d rather be using that time doing something new and different. It goes back to when they wanted me to do more pigs (Three Little Pigs)." -Walter Elias Disney
(Source: 'The Quotable Walt Disney' By: Kiki Thorpe)
quote1.jpg

*Runs and hides before the pitchforks come out*

eliza61nyc

I know this won't be the most popular opinion around here, but dare I suggest Walt would most likely (based on what we know of him while alive) be more upset over the fact this film is actually being made than he would over what some past-her-prime Hollywood actress spouted off about him.
"I’ve never believed in doing sequels. I didn’t want to waste the time I have doing a sequel; I’d rather be using that time doing something new and different. It goes back to when they wanted me to do more pigs (Three Little Pigs)." -Walter Elias Disney
View attachment 330239

The problem with that is he was basing that off of 1940's sensibilities. If he were alive today he might have very well seen some of the great sequels and said some thing totally different.

Brer Oswald

View attachment 330239

Oh for sure, which is the main reason why I’m not going to see it.

Magenta Panther

Streep could apologize for helping to perpetuate a smear against a basically decent man who contributed a great deal of good to the world and who risked and sacrificed and suffered a great deal to accomplish what he did. PERIOD.

Apologizing when you're wrong is called CLASS. And no amount of Oscars and acclaim is a substitute for that.

The ongoing anti-Semite/racist/misogynist crap from various people with a political axe to grind has convinced a generation that Walt was all those things, and that belief taints his legacy. THAT'S WHY IT'S HARMFUL AND WHY CORRECTING THE LIES IS IMPORTANT. Kids need heroes, and Walt is worthy of admiration and overall emulation, even with his flaws. To deprive kids of a hero because of political spite is pretty low. Nuts to Streep and all of her fellow over-celebrated Walt-bashing Hollywood slime.

Rich Brownn

An apology by Streep for slandering Walt. If she was going to take a job in the sequel to what could be considered Walt’s defining cinematic masterpiece, the least she could do is apologize.
Walt wanted to do a sequel. and as much as PL Travers hated the movie, she loved the money. She actually expected Walt to approach her for a sequel. But Walt decided he didn't want to do it without Julie, and by then she was too expensive for the studio. Then Walt died, and thats when PL Travers really became vocal about her displeasure of the film. (Towards the end of her life, she had mellowed considerably about the film though. She still disliked what had been done to her character but she did admire the film for what it was in the end).

Sped2424

Original Poster
Streep could apologize for helping to perpetuate a smear against a basically decent man who contributed a great deal of good to the world and who risked and sacrificed and suffered a great deal to accomplish what he did. PERIOD.

Apologizing when you're wrong is called CLASS. And no amount of Oscars and acclaim is a substitute for that.

The ongoing anti-Semite/racist/misogynist crap from various people with a political axe to grind has convinced a generation that Walt was all those things, and that belief taints his legacy. THAT'S WHY IT'S HARMFUL AND WHY CORRECTING THE LIES IS IMPORTANT. Kids need heroes, and Walt is worthy of admiration and overall emulation, even with his flaws. To deprive kids of a hero because of political spite is pretty low. Nuts to Streep and all of her fellow over-celebrated Walt-bashing Hollywood slime.
I don't think his reputation is hurting in any way though especially not from her comments!! His face is very much still everywhere and people love his ideals and what he built so I don't think meryl has done anything to his reputation! Few people even remember her saying anything about him to begin with! To put such a high emotional value on her being in this film for the brief time she is would be doing yourself a disservice! By all means this movie is shaping up to be one of the best films the company has put out this year alone! And if we are talking live action movies from Disney one of the best in a decade or so!

Tick Tock

Walt wanted to do a sequel. and as much as PL Travers hated the movie, she loved the money. She actually expected Walt to approach her for a sequel. But Walt decided he didn't want to do it without Julie, and by then she was too expensive for the studio. Then Walt died, and thats when PL Travers really became vocal about her displeasure of the film. (Towards the end of her life, she had mellowed considerably about the film though. She still disliked what had been done to her character but she did admire the film for what it was in the end).
It was Katzenberg who wanted the Poppins' sequel, not Walt.
https://learcenter.org/mary-poppins-does-not-come-back/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom