Mary Poppins Sequel in the works

Rich Brownn

It was Katzenberg who wanted the Poppins' sequel, not Walt.
https://learcenter.org/mary-poppins-does-not-come-back/
That was way later. Walt did think about a sequel but he knew he couldn't afford Andrews, and didn't want to do it without her. Later the studio did indeed begin work on a sequel with Travers (in which she watched the film for the first time in 20 years and her opinion mellowed somewhat) but fell apart again due to casting. Travers was never adverse to a sequel (and even thought about a TV series at one point) as she expected thats just how Hollywood worked. But she was going to make sure she had more control (and a better paycheck) next time around.

(Of course, a film version as she envisioned it probably would have flopped. Her first choice for Mary Poppins..... Bette Davis!)

Brer Oswald

Walt wanted to do a sequel. and as much as PL Travers hated the movie, she loved the money. She actually expected Walt to approach her for a sequel. But Walt decided he didn't want to do it without Julie, and by then she was too expensive for the studio. Then Walt died, and thats when PL Travers really became vocal about her displeasure of the film. (Towards the end of her life, she had mellowed considerably about the film though. She still disliked what had been done to her character but she did admire the film for what it was in the end).
Interesting.

Tick Tock

That was way later. Walt did think about a sequel but he knew he couldn't afford Andrews, and didn't want to do it without her. Later the studio did indeed begin work on a sequel with Travers (in which she watched the film for the first time in 20 years and her opinion mellowed somewhat) but fell apart again due to casting. Travers was never adverse to a sequel (and even thought about a TV series at one point) as she expected thats just how Hollywood worked. But she was going to make sure she had more control (and a better paycheck) next time around.

(Of course, a film version as she envisioned it probably would have flopped. Her first choice for Mary Poppins..... Bette Davis!)
Well how about that.

A TV show...eh, I can see that working and not working.

Amazing what a hurdle this has all been for the studio.

Rich Brownn

The alert to lower expectations has been signaled. The highly anticipated sequel, once falsely hyped as Oscar worthy, currently sits at 76% on Rotten Tomatoes, and is expected to drop further as the week continues. Even some of the positive - ripe reviews state lines such as :
" Just ok - but Emily Blunt and Lin-Manuel Miranda are superb. " -Chris Bumbray
Alistari Ryder of Film Inquiry had this to say -
December 12, 2018
" There are brief moments of magic, but you'll still be left wishing that you were spending your time with Julie Andrews, **** Van ****, and some of the best songs in the Disney catalogue. "

I still plan to see this, but have lowered my expectations to avoid disappointment. The early hype seems to be manufactured from eager fans and the Disney company itself. RT expect the score to dive into the 60% or below range by weekend, which would make the film officially hit the Rotten category. :cry:
Most still expect Blunt to get an Oscar nod, and probably nods for song, score and a slew a technicals. Its also gonna bank money

PiXie Mom

Most still expect Blunt to get an Oscar nod, and probably nods for song, score and a slew a technicals. Its also gonna bank money
Sorry. Not sure where my post went. I edited one word spelling and now it says awaiting moderator approval? Has anyone had this happen before?

Princess Leia

Done, thanks!
I think the Captain was being sarcastic lol, but I was going to post the same thing in the thread. Reviews that are out now are more positive than not, but there are some average ones in there (the lowest rating I have seen is a C+). The movie doesn’t arrive in the States for another week, so there’s time for reviews to come out and for word of mouth to spread.

I have a feeling that the movie is going to bring in a lot of money, and it’s getting a lot of nominations for various film awards right now.

Rich Brownn

BTW, for the poster who thought that RT rating would drop as more reviews came in, is actually been slowing increasing. While certainly not the whole raves (except for Emily Blunt) it now sits at 78%. And an award nom for her seems increasingly likely as she has gotten universal raves.

Disney Analyst

BTW, for the poster who thought that RT rating would drop as more reviews came in, is actually been slowing increasing. While certainly not the whole raves (except for Emily Blunt) it now sits at 78%. And an award nom for her seems increasingly likely as she has gotten universal raves.

I really hoped this would have stronger reviews. Oh well. I’m sure it will be a box office smash.

Disneyfanman

One of the things I look at on RT is the average score. It stands at 7.4 / 10... , a little higher than Bumblebee. It’s unusual that the Fresh rating is much lower, but the average rating higher. Digging in, even the negative reviews liked quite a bit about the film. I have a feeling that the Box Office on this one may disappoint initially, but that it may leg out (extend its box office run) similar to Jumanji last year.

Rich Brownn

One of the things I look at on RT is the average score. It stands at 7.4 / 10... , a little higher than Bumblebee. It’s unusual that the Fresh rating is much lower, but the average rating higher. Digging in, even the negative reviews liked quite a bit about the film. I have a feeling that the Box Office on this one may disappoint initially, but that it may leg out (extend its box office run) similar to Jumanji last year.
People always think the original film had nothing but raves when it came out but there were some complaints. Oddly some of the same issue are here. Many complained Meryl Streep's part could have been cut. The same complains were made in 1964 about the Uncle Albert scene. Both films received mild complaints about being a bit too long. But mostly the same loves. New film reviews are mostly positive but what people liked is all over the place (except for Blunt, she's pretty much universally acclaimed). Some hate the songs, some love them. Some hate the nearly beat-for-beat pacing. Other rejoice at it. Etc etc. (BTW, footnote to reviewers: The word supercalifragilisticexpialidocious actually existed before Mary Poppins. (The first known appearance in writing of a variation of what is clearly the same word (in this case with a spelling of "supercaliflawjalisticexpialadoshus") is from an "A-Muse-ings" column by Helen Herman in The Syracuse Daily Orange (Syracuse University), dated March 10, 1931.[6][7] In the column, Herman states that the word "implies all that is grand, great, glorious, splendid, superb, wonderful".) One performer getting really god notices is Ben Wishaw.. most reviewers seem to really like his portrayal.

ZapperZ

We saw Mary Poppins Returns last night (Wednesday night) at an AMC Fan Event. There were applause at several instances toward the end of the movie, and applause at the end. People who remember the first movie saw many connections to it.

While the storyline was predictable (as I predicted), the set pieces were glorious and the music was outstanding. Many of us intend to go see it again.

And oh, as part of the fan event, we were given a pin each, and a free download of the soundtrack.

IMG_1290.JPG

Zz.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom