• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Mary Poppins Sequel in the works

WhatJaneSays

Do you think it will remain behind Aquaman next weekend (1/11-1/13). I see it could be close which could make it a mute point. I don't see any newcomers challenging them for #1. If Aquaman drops similar to Wonderwoman the next two weekends, it would be looking at a 4th weekend of around 21 million. If Mary drops similar to Greatest showman the next two weekends, it would have a 4th weekend of around 22 million. I think both will drop a little harder, but do think it could get interesting. Greatest showman lost 400 theaters from weekend 2 to 4, Wonderwoman lost 200 theaters. not sure what Aquaman and Wonderwoman will project to, but neither has a big challenger that will steal a lot from them, next weekend having more new releases than this weekend.

Too Early To Track Tracking for Mary: after 15 days = 119 million (84th now among those never #1, made almost 1 million more than Sing did on day 15, but still 71 million behind where Sing was on day 15)
I think it's pretty likely that Aquaman will keep it's #1 spot for this coming weekend (unless Escape Room is a real sleeper hit). I feel that MPR will take more of a hit this particular weekend as the number of holiday watchers and larger family groups drop out and the re-watchers and the "we'll get around to it" crowd probably won't start until Tuesday or the weekend after.

For 1/11-1/13 it could pop above Aquaman to be #2 against A Dog’s Way Home ... but I feel that a family dog movie is going to pull more from the Disney crowd that the DC crowd. So for me it's even money which one actually comes out on top.

Ripken10

Advertisement
I think it's pretty likely that Aquaman will keep it's #1 spot for this coming weekend (unless Escape Room is a real sleeper hit). I feel that MPR will take more of a hit this particular weekend as the number of holiday watchers and larger family groups drop out and the re-watchers and the "we'll get around to it" crowd probably won't start until Tuesday or the weekend after.

For 1/11-1/13 it could pop above Aquaman to be #2 against A Dog’s Way Home ... but I feel that a family dog movie is going to pull more from the Disney crowd that the DC crowd. So for me it's even money which one actually comes out on top.
I didn't think A Dog's Way Home looked like a contender for #1 for the weekend, but you could be right. I only saw one number for A Dog's Way Home so far, and that was an approx. 13 million opening weekend. But I didn't look much into it. Box Office Pro does have it trending up right now though.

Not that this is a big deal, but according to Box Office Mojo, Mary is now the #10 musical already (https://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=musical.htm) Should easily get to #2, and no way it is getting to #1. I would have thought there was other musicals that existed between then #1 and #2 movie.

As of Thursday, Mary was up to #78 all time on movies not to hit #1. Made another 800,000 more than Sing did on day 16, but still 70 million behind Sing's pace. You are right, this weekend and next will be a huge sign of where it is going. Right now I see it challenging for #2 on that list unless it surprises the next two weekends.

Disneyfanman

I really liked all of the elements of this movie, but still ended up disappointed. It was almost a scene for scene reimagining of the original. I did love the soundtrack and the music felt more like a broadway play production. I loved the finale. DVD was amazing. If the original had never existed MPR would have blown me away. But................ It just didn’t feel like it should exist.

NateD1226

I saw it again tonight and loved it even more this second time. It truly is Disney's best live action effort since their recent craze started.
I know right! I love it so much! I’m hoping their upcoming live action movies do well. I don’t have a lot of hope for Aladdin.

Fox&Hound

I'm going to get crucified for this...... I think it was better than the original.

I absolutely loved it. Few moments I teared up on. My foot was tapping to the songs and seeing **** Van **** again made me smile so much.
I completely agree, actually! I think the original is a classic but at the same time, overrated. I don't think it holds up as well as others claim.

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
Well, it's now the second weekend of the last market MPR opened in, and so we can close the books on how it did at the B.O. (even though it might eke out a million or two more).

Using the usual ballpark metrics, MPR had about a $27 million deficit in the theatrical window. Though, MPR will easily make this up in the post-theatrical window and provide the parks with two signature songs. Here's how MPR did compared to other Disney Studios films since 2015...

seascape

Well, it's now the second weekend of the last market MPR opened in, and so we can close the books on how it did at the B.O. (even though it might eke out a million or two more).

Using the usual ballpark metrics, MPR had about a $27 million deficit in the theatrical window. Though, MPR will easily make this up in the post-theatrical window and provide the parks with two signature songs. Here's how MPR did compared to other Disney Studios films since 2015...

View attachment 349377
If you actually believe you profit numbers no company would make movies. The production costs include massive overhead built in profits. As for Disney's percentage of the box office, they get more than other studios. Don't feel sorry for these movies because only a couple of them lost money while the others were all profitable.

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
If you actually believe you profit numbers no company would make movies. The production costs include massive overhead built in profits. As for Disney's percentage of the box office, they get more than other studios. Don't feel sorry for these movies because only a couple of them lost money while the others were all profitable.
I could very easily show you the numbers for Pixar, LucasFilm, and Marvel to show you how a studio can make a profit on the majority of their films, but I'll use one you wouldn't expect...

Keep your budget down and you can make money in the theatrical window.

Disney Studios, in aggregate, just barely breaks even in the theatrical window. Their occasionally blockbuster makes up for all the losers. But, as I mentioned, Disney can afford to do that since many of their movies do well in the post-theatrical window.

Top Bottom