• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Mary Poppins Sequel in the works

Sirwalterraleigh

I realize some would revoke my pixie-duster membership, but I never thought the original was as great as its reputation. While not perfect, overall, the new film is better than the original.

https://boxd.it/ApNi3
Nah...because of context

The most “identifiable”/resonating Disney movies ever are Snow White, Mary poppins and little mermaid (you can lump beauty and the beast there too)

...for what they defined as an era.

This movie is good...I have to say it’s growing on me....but it can’t tread near the first.

seascape

I really enjoyed the movie but not as much as the original. I remember walking out of Mary Poppins years ago singing Let's go fly a kite. Overall the music was nice but it is not the same. Now that does not mean I will not see it again because we have friends who want to see it and we did enjoy it enough to pay for a 2nd viewing.

AJH219

I saw it this afternoon and, frankly, LOVED every second of the film. It felt familiar yet fresh and new. Emily Blunt as Mary was a superb choice and though she gives that character her own flare, it still felt like the Mary Poppins we all know and love. The musical numbers were cute and on par with the originals. I caught myself tearing up a couple of times, but I'm very emotional normally so that's not an indication of anything at all. I'm looking forward to seeing it again with my boyfriend and friends when I return home next week. Overall, I think it is a worthy successor to what is, without a doubt, the greatest film the company ever made!

WDWFREAK53

I may be saying something blasphemous here but there was very little about Mary Poppins Returns that I actually liked.

Pros:
1. Visuals. Visually this film was stunning (aside from the underwater sequence which looked pretty cheap).
2. Emily Blunt (for the most part...see "cons" below)
3. Final 30-35 minutes.

Cons:
1. Meryl Streep. Wow...that entire scene was HORRIBLE! I swear they were able to sign Meryl Streep and had to shoe-horn her in somehow. It really didn't fit at all.
2. The Songs. Not a single song was good (the final song was "OK"). None of these songs had you singing as you left the theater. Where were the songs of the same caliber as "Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious," "Let's Go Fly A Kite," and "Spoonful of Sugar?" Every song was just plain bad IMO.
3. Emily Blunt. She gets a pass for not having the same quality singing voice as the legend Julie Andrews. I would NEVER hold Emily Blunt to those standards. Emily Blunt is one of my favorite actresses. Where she still didn't "nail it" was in the mannerisms. Julie Andrews' Mary Poppins was always stern yet kind. Emily Blunt's Mary seemed to smile in every scene. That isn't Mary. Mary smiles but only when the job is done. I just feel like it missed the mark a little.
4. Miranda... I like the guy. His forced accent was awful though.
5. The line in the song about 2 wreaths and a fig leaf... This is a Mary Poppins movie right?

Ugh...I hate writing this because I REALLY had high hopes for this and Mary Poppins is my #1 favorite Disney movie. I heard Emily Blunt was cast and there was "no way this could be bad!" Such a letdown.

AJH219

2. The Songs. Not a single song was good (the final song was "OK"). None of these songs had you singing as you left the theater. Where were the songs of the same caliber as "Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious," "Let's Go Fly A Kite," and "Spoonful of Sugar?" Every song was just plain bad IMO
I 100% disagree with this. I found the songs to be on par with the original, "The Place Where Lost Things Go" alone is worth buying the soundtrack

Sirwalterraleigh

I 100% disagree with this. I found the songs to be on par with the original, "The Place Where Lost Things Go" alone is worth buying the soundtrack
I think the songs were decent actually...they have a bit of catchy/sticky quality to them.

The problem with this...as with all things disney...is it’s another remake.

And that is a huge problem because it’s done by a management not looking to stay around...so the don’t care.

We are getting to the point when your say “I really like _____insert Disney movie here_____” is responded to with “which one?”

That’s a longterm problem.

To be fair to Poppins...60 Years is the right time for a reboot. Not 15, 20 or....38....cough

Sirwalterraleigh

I just don't see this as a remake at all. It felt like a true sequel, in every definition of the word, to the original.
It’s was near the same story arc...the songs were 1:1 mirrors more or less of the originals...with modern technology

She comes, she fixes, they grow, she leaves...the “jack” character....

Try to build the mental bridge with me on this one.

It’s kinda like an episode of Scooby-Doo do...just wait till they pull the mask off the old guy.

And I kinda liked it...but I feel
Like the same story as in 2015. You can’t repackage the same movie and claim “all new”

AJH219

It’s was near the same story arc...the songs were 1:1 mirrors more or less of the originals...with modern technology

She comes, she fixes, they grow, she leaves...the “jack” character....

Try to build the mental bridge with me on this one.

It’s kinda like an episode of Scooby-Doo do...just wait till they pull the mask off the old guy.

And I kinda liked it...but I feel
Like the same story as in 2015. You can’t repackage the same movie and claim “all new”
Okay I will give you the fact some of the scenes are too "cut and paste." But this film isn't trying to be some groundbreaking moment. It's a tastefully done follow up to a masterpiece. If you were expecting a entirely new plot, well that's on you. I think it was obvious from the get go it was going to be Mary "saving" the family in the same vein as before.

Sirwalterraleigh

Okay I will give you the fact some of the scenes are too "cut and paste." But this film isn't trying to be some groundbreaking moment. It's a tastefully done follow up to a masterpiece. If you were expecting a entirely new plot, well that's on you. I think it was obvious from the get go it was going to be Mary "saving" the family in the same vein as before.
Yeah...it’s a reboot...to put it succinctly.

And that is an alarming trend for Disney and no groundwork Bob

BUT...in this case it works because it’s been so long since they did the original. I like it for that reason.

Doing a live lion king...and Aladdin...and treasure planet?? Not so much. And to say nothing of outer space 😎

WDWFREAK53

Agree to disagree there.

The Greatest Showman is a great musical. Every song on that is catchy and memorable. My 9 year old was singing those songs after first viewing and that is a musical that’s not even geared towards kids. She loves Mary Poppins and didn’t really like Mary Poppins Returns. I asked her what her favorite song was and she said she didn’t really remember them.

I went to see this with 9 other people and all of us left extremely disappointed. Mind you, we are all Mary Poppins fans.

I honestly think people love Mary Poppins so much and know that you can’t top it... so the shortcomings in this get a pass no matter how large those shortcomings are.

My opinion of course.

AJH219

I honestly think people love Mary Poppins so much and know that you can’t top it... so the shortcomings in this get a pass no matter how large those shortcomings are.
Agreed. Even if the film had a perfect 10/10 (and it doesn't), its MARY POPPINS...nothing and no one will ever come close to the original. We're all bias when it comes to Mary ;) I found Greatest Showman to be a bore...tbh *ducks*

Top Bottom