Mary Poppins Sequel in the works

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I have to say while I'm skeptical they can follow up such a classic some people need to realize that remaking a classic in a new way is not lacking creativity. For one if its a live action approach to an animated film that's a different art form, thus creative. For those saying they won't do anything but with their long established characters... They might continue to use them but you're forgetting that each year we get a new film such as Wreck It Ralph or Frozen that add to that roster of Disney characters.

I much prefer an original work but some people act like this is the end and it's not.

prberk

I thought that P.L. Travers (or whatever her real name was -- I forgot from Saving Mr. Banks) had it in her will that the company never be able to make a sequel or further film using the Poppins characters. Wasn't that made clear in interviews information later?

What has changed?

Still looking for an answer to this. Does anyone know with certainty?

What changed?

Californian Elitist

There's some creativity, just no originality - so what's new under the sun? Walt took many of his biggest hits from Grimm, Travers, folklore, etc.

I enjoyed Maleficent and Cinderella. Most movies of all stripes suck these days. Of course, born in 1971, the first films I saw in theaters were Jaws and Star Wars, which forever ruined movies for me, as nothing can compare to a child seeing those in a movie theater.

But just the idea of a MP sequel without any details - I can't trash it until I hear a reason to trash it.

Plus, the Tomorrowland disaster pushed any originality off the table. They just want bankable, low-risk money makers. Or maybe they should find a new fairy tale to co-opt.

Or here's an idea - the few originals and the biggest Disney stars: Mickey, Donald, Goofy...hello?!

Maybe if the remakes were actually good, I wouldn't be complaining. I found Maleficent to be horrible. We have different tastes, and that's okay.

Tony the Tigger

Maybe if the remakes were actually good, I wouldn't be complaining. I found Maleficent to be horrible. We have different tastes, and that's okay.

Sometimes it just boils down to expectations. I did not go to the movies to see maleficent. I am not a fan of Angelina Jolie, I had to get past that first. Probably my most recent brush with M is the one I've been watching on TV on once upon a time – which I love.

What I liked and simultaneously disappointed me a little at the same time was that she turned out to be not evil. But I like that in that movie and also in the Cinderella movie, they were able to take such known quantities and at least throw in a few surprises/ curveballs.

I did actually go see the live action Cinderella in the movies and enjoyed it more than I expected. I am definitely going to see Beauty and the beast – mainly because I love Hermione LOL!

There are so few movies in general that I thoroughly enjoyed from beginning to end. I have to go back to the original poltergeist, what dreams may come, a perfect world, of course the Wizard of Oz – not a lot that I would ever buy to watch again and again other than the Jurassic Parks and the Harry Potters – but those are more like a roller coaster ride than moving cinema. Action movies tend to be a whole different reason for going to the movies. But something touching and moving and well told – few and far between by any studio.

GrumpyFan

What changed?

Well, first of all, P.L. Travers isn't alive, which means the decision would be left up to her heirs or those who manage her estate.
According to the article, "Disney and Marshall are collaborating with the Travers estate".
Since Disney has announced this publicly, I'm guessing that means they're cooperating and have given permission.

Just speculating that they were pleased with how she was represented in Saving Mr. Banks and decided to allow further use of the characters.

Californian Elitist

Sometimes it just boils down to expectations. I did not go to the movies to see maleficent. I am not a fan of Angelina Jolie, I had to get past that first. Probably my most recent brush with M is the one I've been watching on TV on once upon a time – which I love.

What I liked and simultaneously disappointed me a little at the same time was that she turned out to be not evil. But I like that in that movie and also in the Cinderella movie, they were able to take such known quantities and at least throw in a few surprises/ curveballs.

I did actually go see the live action Cinderella in the movies and enjoyed it more than I expected. I am definitely going to see Beauty and the beast – mainly because I love Hermione LOL!

There are so few movies in general that I thoroughly enjoyed from beginning to end. I have to go back to the original poltergeist, what dreams may come, a perfect world, of course the Wizard of Oz – not a lot that I would ever buy to watch again and again other than the Jurassic Parks and the Harry Potters – but those are more like a roller coaster ride than moving cinema. Action movies tend to be a whole different reason for going to the movies. But something touching and moving and well told – few and far between by any studio.

I couldn't stand hoe much Disney changed their own story. So really, Maleficent ISN'T evil, she DOESN'T hate Aurora, and she WASN'T the one who turned into the awesome dragon at the end. The Three Good Fairies actually didn't know what they were doing and were dunces. I didn't like Stephan's character and there was no point in having Philip in the film. It was just too much of a bad change. I'm all for changing a story if the re-written version is good, for example, I'm looking forward to Pan coming out next month (it's obviously nothing like the original material, but it looks good).

Still haven't seen Cinderella, but I plan to. Beauty and the Beast is literally the only upcoming live-action film from Disney I'm genuinely excited about.

prberk

I couldn't stand hoe much Disney changed their own story. So really, Maleficent ISN'T evil, she DOESN'T hate Aurora, and she WASN'T the one who turned into the awesome dragon at the end. The Three Good Fairies actually didn't know what they were doing and were dunces. I didn't like Stephan's character and there was no point in having Philip in the film. It was just too much of a bad change. I'm all for changing a story if the re-written version is good, for example, I'm looking forward to Pan coming out next month (it's obviously nothing like the original material, but it looks good).

Still haven't seen Cinderella, but I plan to. Beauty and the Beast is literally the only upcoming live-action film from Disney I'm genuinely excited about.

The funny thing about Beauty and the Beast is that no one seems to remember that it was a story with other Hollywood versions before the film, and people seem to have amnesia about that. It was a popular live-action TV show (on CBS, I think) not too long before Disney did their version; and of course, it was a popular fairy tale with multiple adaptations before that.

We've always seen how "the Disney version" becomes the reference standard. But it clearly happened within a short time on this film.

Last edited:

Sped2424

Original Poster
Emily Blunt is a rumored front-runner on the shortlist.

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/mary-poppins/249108/mary-poppins-2-emily-blunt-linked-with-title-role

To be honest, she's not a bad choice.
Not bad, but not practically perfect in every way ;) The issue with blunt is while she may hold a tune she holds no candle to the range needed of Mary poppins. Which is why I suggest another actress and broadway legend that already has a good relationship with the disney company, one who has the vocal range very reminiscent of Julie Andrews.
Sierra Boggess

216bruce

I think the biggest obstacle will be to find someone who can write songs comparable to the Sherman brothers, those songs from the original are American standards now. I love the stories and I think the new movie will be pretty good. I hope folks give it a chance.
Is there no optimism in this group? It can't be worse than that haunted mansion dreck. ( waiting hopefully for the new haunted mansion dreck!)
You'll find very little optimism on these boards. It's how they roll. There's a few folks who are, but generally....hate change....hate Iger....vacation ruined....everything needs repair.....but they all keep going back.

216bruce

What changed?
I do know that after an author passes, or really anyone for that matter, the executor of their estate- literary or otherwise- can and will change over time. Depending on the decision of that individual, so can the status of the licensing and/or rights to that person's work. Maybe Travers' estate has a new executor or the old one changed their mind. Anyway, glad to see it!

Magenta Panther

Well, first of all, P.L. Travers isn't alive, which means the decision would be left up to her heirs or those who manage her estate.
According to the article, "Disney and Marshall are collaborating with the Travers estate".
Since Disney has announced this publicly, I'm guessing that means they're cooperating and have given permission.

Just speculating that they were pleased with how she was represented in Saving Mr. Banks and decided to allow further use of the characters.

Yes, the movie was kind to her. Very, very kind to her. Her heirs should be grateful. The people who got mad that the less delectable parts of her life weren't mentioned are idiots IMO.

Magenta Panther

I think the biggest obstacle will be to find someone who can write songs comparable to the Sherman brothers, those songs from the original are American standards now. I love the stories and I think the new movie will be pretty good. I hope folks give it a chance.

You'll find very little optimism on these boards. It's how they roll. There's a few folks who are, but generally....hate change....hate Iger....vacation ruined....everything needs repair.....but they all keep going back.

Now, now. "Maleficent", anyone? The vast majority of the people here who get anxious when something like "Poppins" is announced aren't motivated by fear of change. They're motivated by fear of disaster. Also, can any new version of "Poppins" live up to the original? That's a valid question. Look at all of the new Oz movies there have been, and they've all pretty much stunk. And not even because they weren't as good as the MGM classic. They were just lousy movies. So maybe you can cut us a little slack. We love Disney. We hate it when it fails. Plus, trying to build on perfection is pretty risky. And sometimes, unfortunately...pretty lazy.

216bruce

Now, now. "Maleficent", anyone? The vast majority of the people here who get anxious when something like "Poppins" is announced aren't motivated by fear of change. They're motivated by fear of disaster. Also, can any new version of "Poppins" live up to the original? That's a valid question. Look at all of the new Oz movies there have been, and they've all pretty much stunk. And not even because they weren't as good as the MGM classic. They were just lousy movies. So maybe you can cut us a little slack. We love Disney. We hate it when it fails. Plus, trying to build on perfection is pretty risky. And sometimes, unfortunately...pretty lazy.
I enjoyed "Maleficent" on it's own terms as I did "Return to Oz" from back in the day and "OZ: the great and powerful". Are any of them as good as their originals? That's in the eye of the beholder. No, not as good as the '39 Oz or the animated 'Sleeping Beauty'. They are significantly different in every way though and they weren't made to be compared to those as there was no attempt or intention by the filmmakers to be a sequel or a remake ...'Maleficent' is more of a character study of the title character...it's a 'take' on her. It's not a remake in the strict sense of the word, nor is it a sequel. "Return to OZ' is a sequel of sorts as it follows the action of the first one but it incorporates new characters and stories. Both it and "Oz: the Great, etc." aren't musicals or remakes. They are originals. The new 'Cinderella' is a remake for the most part- same story, same point of view, characters, etc. And it appears the live-action, BATB and Jungle Book are too. The latter does appear to be more 'adult' in tone, though.
I guess my issue is why can't folks just accept these movies for what they are, and if you don't like the idea of them (remakes, sequels, whatever), don't go to see them and waste your money, if you know going into it that "Hey, this is probably going to suck." Stay home, put the 'original' in the dvd or blu-ray and let her rip. If you (in general, not you in particular oh MP) do become adventurous enough to accept a new spin on something, keep an open-mind and the original will always be there too for you.
I applaud the folks who do original 'spins' on these classics. It's risky as hell. Sure, I wish Disney made a lot of original films but that isn't how the industry works for 'big' films these days....look at "John Carter' and "Tomorrowland". Original as can be and no one went to see them. They didn't 'suck' (an incredibly lazy term). If you want to see 'lazy' filmmaking go see that dinosaur movie from this summer that made a few bucks...THAT was a remake, poorly written, predictable as can be, and it made a TON of money.

Let me ask...are there any perceived sequels or remakes that Disney has made, plans to make that you think were good or look to be good?

And we will just have to disagree about the general tone of these boards. Most of the folks hate change and hate Iger. That's really, really evident.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Well if one good thing can come from this it's more exposure to mary poppins, after all there is a certain dark ride someone has always wanted to see come to life based on the film...

And plans for said dark ride have existed since the late 60s.
Just go ask its designer, Tony Baxter.

" Mary Poppins Jolly Holiday" would have taken Guests on a colorful tour of the English countryside while riding their own Carousel Horse through various iconic scenes from that sequence in the film.
The ride system would have been similar to 'Peter Pan's Flight' and employed several neat effects.

:)

-

Tony the Tigger

And plans for said dark ride have existed since the late 60s.
Just go ask its designer, Tony Baxter.

" Mary Poppins Jolly Holiday" would have taken Guests on a colorful tour of the English countryside while riding their own Carousel Horse through various iconic scenes from that sequence in the film.
The ride system would have been similar to 'Peter Pan's Flight' and employed several neat effects.

:)

-

Perfect for the new EPCOT(?)

Tony the Tigger

I enjoyed "Maleficent" on it's own terms as I did "Return to Oz" from back in the day and "OZ: the great and powerful". Are any of them as good as their originals? That's in the eye of the beholder. No, not as good as the '39 Oz or the animated 'Sleeping Beauty'. They are significantly different in every way though and they weren't made to be compared to those as there was no attempt or intention by the filmmakers to be a sequel or a remake ...'Maleficent' is more of a character study of the title character...it's a 'take' on her. It's not a remake in the strict sense of the word, nor is it a sequel. "Return to OZ' is a sequel of sorts as it follows the action of the first one but it incorporates new characters and stories. Both it and "Oz: the Great, etc." aren't musicals or remakes. They are originals. The new 'Cinderella' is a remake for the most part- same story, same point of view, characters, etc. And it appears the live-action, BATB and Jungle Book are too. The latter does appear to be more 'adult' in tone, though.
I guess my issue is why can't folks just accept these movies for what they are, and if you don't like the idea of them (remakes, sequels, whatever), don't go to see them and waste your money, if you know going into it that "Hey, this is probably going to suck." Stay home, put the 'original' in the dvd or blu-ray and let her rip. If you (in general, not you in particular oh MP) do become adventurous enough to accept a new spin on something, keep an open-mind and the original will always be there too for you.
I applaud the folks who do original 'spins' on these classics. It's risky as hell. Sure, I wish Disney made a lot of original films but that isn't how the industry works for 'big' films these days....look at "John Carter' and "Tomorrowland". Original as can be and no one went to see them. They didn't 'suck' (an incredibly lazy term). If you want to see 'lazy' filmmaking go see that dinosaur movie from this summer that made a few bucks...THAT was a remake, poorly written, predictable as can be, and it made a TON of money.

Let me ask...are there any perceived sequels or remakes that Disney has made, plans to make that you think were good or look to be good?

And we will just have to disagree about the general tone of these boards. Most of the folks hate change and hate Iger. That's really, really evident.

I appreciate your thoughtful analysis, and agree in most spots, maybe disagree in some.

I think part of the reason for disappointment in sequels is one of the very things you cite: they often (intentionally) don't try to compete with or sometimes even continue the storyline of the original. They rely heavily on new characters. People who loved the original want to see more of it, even if it is similar, though I think we'd most all prefer it wasn't too similar. Of all the Oz-related movies, cartoons, etc. beyond the original, most were severely disappointing to me. Oz: The Great and Powerful was not. That doesn't mean it's on the level of the first, but overall I enjoyed it and it was respectful to the original.

Side note: Wicked in the theater was wonderful, I thought. It basically went right through the Wizard of Oz towards the end, all the while seemingly filling in some blanks pretty cleverly IMO. It set the same tone as WoOz. I'm not the biggest fan of the Broadway musical and went in a little skeptical, but really enjoyed it. This at some point inspired me to read the book, Wicked, which I absolutely did not enjoy at all. It was not the tone of the Wizard of Oz or the musical Wicked at all. It was dark, at times gross, what a miserable tale to tell! I strongly dislike it and would never read any of the other books in the series.

I never permitted myself to watch the remake of Charlie & The Chocolate Factory. The original means too much to me. I don't think it can be improved upon. I don't want any glimpse of a new one spoiling my watching of one of my all time huge favorite movies.

Conversely, I did go to the theater to see the new Poltergeist, and it fell extremely flat. Really poorly done. The original had so much more character development and made you really care about every person. It had a feeling of almost two movies in one - after they got Carol Anne back, it could have ended - main crisis resolved, right? But it kept going and was excellent to the end. The new one felt like they were just trying to hit every big point and get on to the next.

I'm sure there is a lot of emotional weight on all our parts that factor into these things regardless of the quality of a film.

The first 3 Star Wars films made (4,5,6) were equally iconic to me. I never understood the criticism that Jedi had gone downhill and the gasp that Ewoks were too cute or whatever. I loved it all. One of the biggest theatrical disappointments for me was episode one. But years later I went back and watched 1, 2, and 3 on DVD with a different set of expectations, and was able to enjoy them more in context. And I think part of the problem was the detachment from episode 4. Again, one of the reasons the first three films made were so successful was because we loved the main characters and the actors who portrayed them. None of that would have made sense in the prequels, but I think I was still looking for it somehow (even though we still had Yoda and the droids.) I wasn't interested in new worlds, Naboo, whatever. I wanted to dig into the pre-history of the worlds I already "knew." I realize the irrationality of this in the practical sense of film making. I still think that's one reason why these things often bomb.

The Harry Potter films all worked for me. But in fairness, those were very much planned to be what they were. Nobody tried to write the last set of three without the original author, or so many years removed from the original. It was a well done series (very much borrowing from the Star Wars storyline IMO - the young prodigy is at first unaware of himself, and is connected to the primary representation of evil - wands vs. lightsabers, etc.)

I very much enjoyed Saving Mr. Banks. I think that colors my willingness to accept a new Poppins. Plus I don't think I was all that enthralled with the original Poppins. I certainly didn't care for it as a kid. I watched it in connection with the Mr. Banks movie.

Which brings me to other factors: age and perspective. Big difference between someone who saw Star Wars in a theater as a kid, someone who saw it in the theater as an adult, and someone who never saw it in the theater, but on DVD or VHS. And as I am now in my mid-40's (yikes) 10 years means something very different to me than it did in my 20's or 30's. Ten years go by a lot faster now, it seems. Someone who is a kid today might get excited by another Spider-Man reboot. Me, I'm thinking: again? already?!?

With all that said, I tend to be a more open-minded and optimistic individual. It really bothers me when somebody poo-poos an idea before it ever gets a chance to be worked out. If I listened to everyone who ever told me, "that won't work," I probably would be managing a Walgreens right now or something instead of running my own business. If you want to make it work, you will find a way. If you want to make it out to be awful, you will.

One thing I know from the music business that can relate to this discussion is the people making the decisions are often not fans. They are guessing what their customers want, and that's why they so often get it wrong. When they reissue a certain artist's catalog with bonus content, and the bonus content falls flat - that couldn't really happen if a fan had been making the decisions and/or had full creative control (including licensing, etc.) Very often a release like that will come out, and the fans uniformly decry it, and the label is clueless - because they are not fans. This is just a fact of life. The biggest business people probably won't be the biggest fans or understand what fans want. Sometimes people are very well-intentioned, but just get it wrong. OK. Try again. (Haunted Mansion.)

And sometimes it's just budgetary restrictions holding things back.

Briefly, re: Tomorrowland: wanted to like it. Started out great, I thought. Fell apart towards the end.

Magenta Panther

I appreciate your thoughtful analysis, and agree in most spots, maybe disagree in some.

I think part of the reason for disappointment in sequels is one of the very things you cite: they often (intentionally) don't try to compete with or sometimes even continue the storyline of the original. They rely heavily on new characters. People who loved the original want to see more of it, even if it is similar, though I think we'd most all prefer it wasn't too similar. Of all the Oz-related movies, cartoons, etc. beyond the original, most were severely disappointing to me. Oz: The Great and Powerful was not. That doesn't mean it's on the level of the first, but overall I enjoyed it and it was respectful to the original.

Side note: Wicked in the theater was wonderful, I thought. It basically went right through the Wizard of Oz towards the end, all the while seemingly filling in some blanks pretty cleverly IMO. It set the same tone as WoOz. I'm not the biggest fan of the Broadway musical and went in a little skeptical, but really enjoyed it. This at some point inspired me to read the book, Wicked, which I absolutely did not enjoy at all. It was not the tone of the Wizard of Oz or the musical Wicked at all. It was dark, at times gross, what a miserable tale to tell! I strongly dislike it and would never read any of the other books in the series.

I never permitted myself to watch the remake of Charlie & The Chocolate Factory. The original means too much to me. I don't think it can be improved upon. I don't want any glimpse of a new one spoiling my watching of one of my all time huge favorite movies.

Conversely, I did go to the theater to see the new Poltergeist, and it fell extremely flat. Really poorly done. The original had so much more character development and made you really care about every person. It had a feeling of almost two movies in one - after they got Carol Anne back, it could have ended - main crisis resolved, right? But it kept going and was excellent to the end. The new one felt like they were just trying to hit every big point and get on to the next.

I'm sure there is a lot of emotional weight on all our parts that factor into these things regardless of the quality of a film.

The first 3 Star Wars films made (4,5,6) were equally iconic to me. I never understood the criticism that Jedi had gone downhill and the gasp that Ewoks were too cute or whatever. I loved it all. One of the biggest theatrical disappointments for me was episode one. But years later I went back and watched 1, 2, and 3 on DVD with a different set of expectations, and was able to enjoy them more in context. And I think part of the problem was the detachment from episode 4. Again, one of the reasons the first three films made were so successful was because we loved the main characters and the actors who portrayed them. None of that would have made sense in the prequels, but I think I was still looking for it somehow (even though we still had Yoda and the droids.) I wasn't interested in new worlds, Naboo, whatever. I wanted to dig into the pre-history of the worlds I already "knew." I realize the irrationality of this in the practical sense of film making. I still think that's one reason why these things often bomb.

The Harry Potter films all worked for me. But in fairness, those were very much planned to be what they were. Nobody tried to write the last set of three without the original author, or so many years removed from the original. It was a well done series (very much borrowing from the Star Wars storyline IMO - the young prodigy is at first unaware of himself, and is connected to the primary representation of evil - wands vs. lightsabers, etc.)

I very much enjoyed Saving Mr. Banks. I think that colors my willingness to accept a new Poppins. Plus I don't think I was all that enthralled with the original Poppins. I certainly didn't care for it as a kid. I watched it in connection with the Mr. Banks movie.

Which brings me to other factors: age and perspective. Big difference between someone who saw Star Wars in a theater as a kid, someone who saw it in the theater as an adult, and someone who never saw it in the theater, but on DVD or VHS. And as I am now in my mid-40's (yikes) 10 years means something very different to me than it did in my 20's or 30's. Ten years go by a lot faster now, it seems. Someone who is a kid today might get excited by another Spider-Man reboot. Me, I'm thinking: again? already?!?

With all that said, I tend to be a more open-minded and optimistic individual. It really bothers me when somebody poo-poos an idea before it ever gets a chance to be worked out. If I listened to everyone who ever told me, "that won't work," I probably would be managing a Walgreens right now or something instead of running my own business. If you want to make it work, you will find a way. If you want to make it out to be awful, you will.

One thing I know from the music business that can relate to this discussion is the people making the decisions are often not fans. They are guessing what their customers want, and that's why they so often get it wrong. When they reissue a certain artist's catalog with bonus content, and the bonus content falls flat - that couldn't really happen if a fan had been making the decisions and/or had full creative control (including licensing, etc.) Very often a release like that will come out, and the fans uniformly decry it, and the label is clueless - because they are not fans. This is just a fact of life. The biggest business people probably won't be the biggest fans or understand what fans want. Sometimes people are very well-intentioned, but just get it wrong. OK. Try again. (Haunted Mansion.)

And sometimes it's just budgetary restrictions holding things back.

Briefly, re: Tomorrowland: wanted to like it. Started out great, I thought. Fell apart towards the end.

I agree with you about "Wicked" the book. Absolutely horrible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom