Mary Poppins Sequel in the works

Brer Panther

alice-face-palm-featured.jpg

Mawg

What was the last Live Action Musical? I really can't think of any recently that weren't made for TV. I don't see a huge demand for Musicals these days. Maybe they are reading the current masses differently than me but I can't picture a huge demand for this type of movie any more. I predict major flop.

Tony the Tigger

Exclusive straight from e news

"EW has learned that Disney is developing a new original live-action musical film featuring the beloved magical nanny, Mary Poppins. The studio is bringing back Into the Woods director Rob Marshall and producers John DeLuca and Marc Platt, who successfully shepherded Stephen Sondheim’s Broadway tuner to the big screen for Disney last year."

More here
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/14/disney-mary-poppins-rob-marshall

The film is going to be a musical and set 20 years after the events of the first movie.

I just tried to sit through into the woods. It took two days, completely lost me by the last half hour – really kind of hated it. They may be sending troops to take back my gay card.

erasure fan1

I am not surprised about this as they see potential $$$ from filming a sequel to a classic movie. I don't agree with it...just not surprised.
I can't agree more. This is just the way Disney is right now and I guess I just have to accept the fact that they might never be the creative juggernaut again. Here's looking forward to the Apple Dumpling Gang imax 3D remake...:facepalm:

Magenta Panther

Yeah, I just read about this. The only reason I'm not looking for a torch and pitchfork right now is that this...thing...is supposedly going to be set about 20 years after the time period portrayed in the actual film. Also, Richard Sherman is okay with it...so...ahhhhh, heck, I don't know. :p

There WERE several Poppins books written by P.L. Travers, as I recall. One of them was, I think, called "Mary Poppins Opens The Door". But what's significant is that I am pretty sure that in all of the books, she was only involved with the Banks' children as CHILDREN. This new movie is going to be set 20 years after that? Is she going to visit the Banks' children's children, kind of like how Peter Pan took up with Wendy's daughter?

I wish...oh how I wish...that this were animated, and that Julie and Richard Van D. could provide the voices. No such luck, of course.

Really, I don't know why the dumb suits in Hollywood can't ever learn anything. Why they can't figure out that some things simply cannot be repeated. For instance, every attempt to revive some aspect of the land of Oz as a motion picture has been abysmal. Even "Oz the Great and Powerful' was pretty lame, although not as bad as it could have been. But at least it wasn't a musical. Jeez...

Well, maybe if this hits, Mary Poppins will finally get a dark ride or something in the parks. But she should have one by now ANYWAY. Man, I hate Iger...

Sped2424

Original Poster
Well if one good thing can come from this it's more exposure to mary poppins, after all there is a certain dark ride someone has always wanted to see come to life based on the film...

Californian Elitist

Is there no optimism in this group? It can't be worse than that haunted mansion dreck. ( waiting hopefully for the new haunted mansion dreck!)

Some of us can't be optimistic, including myself. Disney hasn't had a great live-action film in over a decade, in my opinion, and all of their upcoming live-action films are based on their animated features. There's no creativity, and the main reason they've been turning their animated films into live-action is because they know they'll make money. And now a Mary Poppins sequel? What?

Californian Elitist

I liked it :/ but from a story standpoint the major issue with the film was the sanitizing of it's darkness. Takes the bite out of the entire story.

Disney tends to do that a lot nowadays. They even took the dark out of Maleficent, which I hated, by the way (the film as a whole).

I spent a day watching their films from the Renaissance period last week. Ever since then, I've been feeling bitter towards the more recent films lol. I'm still waiting for Disney to release something on The Lion King's caliber again. In terms of live-action, I'm waiting for Curse of the Black Pearl quality.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
That's right, folks. I've made my decision...

IGER IS OFFICIALLY WORSE THAN EISNER.
I think I came to this conclusion a while ago. It's a combination of desecrating EVERYTHING and the final killing traditional animation after the brief revival. But hey, remember it's all about that $$$$

GrumpyFan

Disney and pretty much all of Hollywood is averse to taking risk. This, like many of the others of recent are just another of their searching for something to turn into another franchise based on a known property. They tried with John Carter, Alice, then OZ and most recently with a new unknown, Tomorrowland. Going back to Mary Poppins will likely do as well as any of the others mentioned.

I'm not opposed, considering it's not just a re-boot, and they're using Richard Sherman. However, I doubt it will be a classic.

Magenta Panther

I've read the Poppins announcements at the Variety and Hollywood Reporter websites. And the comments posted are uniformly outraged. Good to see!

Tony the Tigger

Some of us can't be optimistic, including myself. Disney hasn't had a great live-action film in over a decade, in my opinion, and all of their upcoming live-action films are based on their animated features. There's no creativity, and the main reason they've been turning their animated films into live-action is because they know they'll make money. And now a Mary Poppins sequel? What?

There's some creativity, just no originality - so what's new under the sun? Walt took many of his biggest hits from Grimm, Travers, folklore, etc.

I enjoyed Maleficent and Cinderella. Most movies of all stripes suck these days. Of course, born in 1971, the first films I saw in theaters were Jaws and Star Wars, which forever ruined movies for me, as nothing can compare to a child seeing those in a movie theater.

But just the idea of a MP sequel without any details - I can't trash it until I hear a reason to trash it.

Plus, the Tomorrowland disaster pushed any originality off the table. They just want bankable, low-risk money makers. Or maybe they should find a new fairy tale to co-opt.

Or here's an idea - the few originals and the biggest Disney stars: Mickey, Donald, Goofy...hello?!

216bruce

There's some creativity, just no originality - so what's new under the sun? Walt took many of his biggest hits from Grimm, Travers, folklore, etc.

I enjoyed Maleficent and Cinderella. Most movies of all stripes suck these days. Of course, born in 1971, the first films I saw in theaters were Jaws and Star Wars, which forever ruined movies for me, as nothing can compare to a child seeing those in a movie theater.

But just the idea of a MP sequel without any details - I can't trash it until I hear a reason to trash it.

Plus, the Tomorrowland disaster pushed any originality off the table. They just want bankable, low-risk money makers. Or maybe they should find a new fairy tale to co-opt.

Or here's an idea - the few originals and the biggest Disney stars: Mickey, Donald, Goofy...hello?!
Thank you for being reasonable. I mean..."Into the Woods" was fantastic and this is the same director.
I agree on "Maleficent" and "Cinderella" and the dearth of originality in most big studio films these days.
Also, Travers books are pretty episodic and tough to make into a movie. The original MP was strung together from at least two of the books 'chapters'. I'll withhold judgement until it's made. Yeah, it's a VERY tough act to follow but it might actually be enjoyable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom