Marvel's The Eternals

Ghost93

I don't know about spoilers, but the reviews are MUCH more mixed than Shang Chi. Some of those who saw it like it a lot, but some did not like it at all it seems. Things I heard were that the pacing is erratic, it is very different from other MCU movies (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) and that it is very complicated (I like complicated). But compared to the raves that SC got, this one may struggle in the rotten tomatoes/critics realm of things. Wonder how it will translate over to fans. I'm still very excited, although I will have to wait for D+.
I think this is likely going to be a polarizing movie, with some loving it and considering it one of the best MCU films and others absolutely hating it.

I think one of the reasons it will be polarizing is because most of the critics have said it does not feel like a MCU movie at all. This will be refreshing for those who feel the franchise has gone stale, but it will be offputting for those who prefer the Marvel formula.

Jedijax719

Personally, I like lore and a bit of exposition if that is the approach they take. I especially like mythology and this movie seems to heavily tap into that, so I am all aboard for that kind of ride.

Jedijax719

Not sure why someone would praise it and then give it a 2/4 but anyway....here are some other good ones that make me excited. I hope a 75 inch TV is big enough lol

Jedijax719

The more you read, the more it seems that this is skewing quite positive. If you go to a search engine (like Yahoo), they are definitely emphasizing the positive in headlines. I was caught up with what some were saying on a particular box office site who were emphasizing the negative only. But then you get this:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The more you read, the more it seems that this is skewing quite positive. If you go to a search engine (like Yahoo), they are definitely emphasizing the positive in headlines. I was caught up with what some were saying on a particular box office site who were emphasizing the negative only. But then you get this:
The "Everyone is hot" tweet is hysterical. Can't repeat it here in a family forum.

NateD1226

Eternals has debuted with an 83% on Rotten Tomatoes with 12 reviews as of its debut.

doctornick

71% right now. Hoping it will just stay over 70%.

I was expecting it to be somewhat divisive among MCU fans as it seems like it is a bit different from the "Marvel formula" that is so popular. But I'm surprised it isn't better received by critics - I expected this to be a media darling with Zhao at the helm.

I've been avoiding spoilers, but I sense the biggest complain is about too much exposition causing the film to drag and not paying it off.

Ghost93

I was expecting it to be somewhat divisive among MCU fans as it seems like it is a bit different from the "Marvel formula" that is so popular. But I'm surprised it isn't better received by critics - I expected this to be a media darling with Zhao at the helm.

I've been avoiding spoilers, but I sense the biggest complain is about too much exposition causing the film to drag and not paying it off.
It seems like some critics say it deviates too much from the Marvel formula that it doesn't even feel like it's part of the same franchise while other critics say that it's too formulaic and should have been bolder. It's getting criticism from all sides.

I will say though, this does intrigue me. I may or may not end up liking Eternals, but I think it seems like it will be an interesting and ambitious film at the very least.

Jedijax719

The Last Jedi was a "weird" SW movie. But it was given a crazy high critic score for being out of the ordinary. So seems critics are picky.

Jedijax719

From what it seems. Eternals is a very "full" movie with lots of backstory and high level concepts (the word that has been used is "dense"). There's lot of mythology and things that step into religion even (which may upset very religious people). The movie seems to be built more upon story-telling than non-stop action. For me, that is great! That is quite possibly the aspect I've liked most about Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings. Sprinkle in some actions sequences, but have a lot of story packed into it. If that is true, then it sounds great and that is quite possibly where the 70-75% positive is coming from. For those who want a typical non-stop action movie, that's where the 25-305 negative may come from.

You can't please everyone! Some will complain about a movie that is too formulaic and too much of the same thing. Others will complain that it's too different and unlike what we've seen before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom