Marvel's The Eternals

MarvelCharacterNerd

The nice thing about the Marvel films is there's a genre for just about anyone. So if "dense" mythology doesn't do it for you - just wait for the next Taika Waititi or James Gunn film for more wacky bonkers fun. :D

Jedijax719

The nice thing about the Marvel films is there's a genre for just about anyone. So if "dense" mythology doesn't do it for you - just wait for the next Taika Waititi or James Gunn film for more wacky bonkers fun. :D
Good point. And even within a specific series (Iron Man, Thor, Captain America), movies offer different things.

Thor 1 was decent. Thor 2 not so good. But then Thor 3 was a smash that was very well received.
Captain America 1 was decent. Winter Soldier very well received. Civil War also well received.
Avengers was great. Age of Ultron was meh. The next 2 were exceptional.

If there's one thing that can be said about the MCU, it's that they know how to spring back with a well received movie after one that isn't (credit to Feige?). I suspect that Zao will indeed direct Eternals 2 and have a new direction for the film and it is very well received.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Hmmm... it's down to 66% on Rotten Tomatoes as I type which would tie it for worse in the MCU with Thor The Dark World. This still really surprises me
Apparently Disney released some additional screeners to more critics as an attempt to increase the RT score, it appears to have backfired.

Jedijax719

Things are looking pretty bad for Eternals right now. Critics are jumping all over it. I am really curious to see what is so bad about it since all the trailers look great. People seem to like the characters. Can critics just not comprehend a "dense" story?

Gonna be VERY interesting to see what happens on its opening weekend! When a low RT score lingers for a long time before release, it really hurts the movie in question. What helped Aladdin is the fact that the RT scores didn't start coming until the day of release. Then the audience scores followed IMMEDIATELY before many got a chance to see the RT score. The audience score for Aladdin was amazing so that helped to negate the RT score. This is not the case with Eternals. Confidence was SO high that they lifted the embargo so early.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Things are looking pretty bad for Eternals right now. Critics are jumping all over it. I am really curious to see what is so bad about it since all the trailers look great. People seem to like the characters. Can critics just not comprehend a "dense" story?

Gonna be VERY interesting to see what happens on its opening weekend!
The biggest "complaint" I saw is that its not the normal MCU formulaic movie. Which in my opinion is a good thing, need to shake things up after closing a big chapter. Start something fresh and grow from it.

The other "complaint" I saw was that it introduces too many characters at one time but doesn't give enough time to develop them. And to that I say, well duh, the Eternals is not a single character its a group of characters. Its not like the Avengers where each team members was introduced separately. They have primarily been introduced as a group and then individual characters might have different adventures with different teams, such as the Avengers.

These characters aren't going to be a one-and-done situation. This is building into a larger story arc, which includes Secret Invasion.

Ghost93

Gonna be VERY interesting to see what happens on its opening weekend! When a low RT score lingers for a long time before release, it really hurts the movie in question. What helped Aladdin is the fact that the RT scores didn't start coming until the day of release. Then the audience scores followed IMMEDIATELY before many got a chance to see the RT score. The audience score for Aladdin was amazing so that helped to negate the RT score. This is not the case with Eternals. Confidence was SO high that they lifted the embargo so early.
After doing a lot of online reading, the hate for Eternals is coming from various different groups for different reasons. There isn't one factor contributing to its mixed reception.

From what I've observed:

1. Some critics and MCU fans say it feels too different from the MCU and more like a Chloe Zhao experiment.
2. Some critics are burnt out of the MCU and hate the franchise and feel the movie does NOT DO ENOUGH to differentiate itself from the MCU. These people would not be satisfied unless it completely abandoned the conventions of the genre (like having action sequences and a save the world plot).
3. Some feel it's too complicated and they didn't emotionally resonate with the film.
4. Some feel it's too bloated with its 157-minute runtime.
5. Some say the 157-minute runtime isn't nearly long enough to tell such a massive story.
6. Many critics have compared Eternals to a Zack Snyder DC film. While Snyder definitely has a cult following, his movies are often criticized by critics themselves.
7. When a movie is just "silly dumb fun" many critics will give it a pass because it at least made them laugh. Since Eternals aspired to be viewed as a serious Oscar contender tackling important themes, I think it is being held to a much higher standard than most MCU films. If you are going to be a serious movie, you have to really stick the landing and emotionally move the audience. For many critics, Eternals didn't succeed as the drama it tried to be.
8. Eternals has been praised by critics for its inclusive and diverse cast filled with women, people of color, a gay character and a deaf actress. However, we all know there is a large group of people who automatically are triggered when a movie is diverse and doesn't have a straight white male lead. The usual "go woke go broke" idiots on YouTube are probably going to have a field day trashing this movie and pandering to their racist and homophobic followers.

Slpy3270

If Marvel ends up making more money off of Spider-Man: No Way Home (a film that Marvel gets only a portion of profits of) than Eternals (a film they wholly own and collect all profits from), I cannot picture a scenario where Kevin Feige doesn't see his power significantly curtailed or forced out of Marvel entirely.

The pandemic won't be an excuse given the polarizing reviews.

Jedijax719

Forced out of Marvel? Are you kidding? One polarizing film in 26 films (okay maybe 2) is barely enough to cause a blip-especially when you consider how movies come roaring back.

Will the movie underperform though? Probably now. This will indeed affect its opening and its legs unless the audience score is through the roof (that's what happened with Aladdin). What helped Venom 2 to be even as popular as it is is the fact that it is borderline horror.

doctornick

Forced out of Marvel? Are you kidding? One polarizing film in 26 films (okay maybe 2) is barely enough to cause a blip-especially when you consider how movies come roaring back.

Will the movie underperform though? Probably now. This will indeed affect its opening and its legs unless the audience score is through the roof (that's what happened with Aladdin). What helped Venom 2 to be even as popular as it is is the fact that it is borderline horror.

I'm not really sure critical reviews would have any impact on a MCU film. People are going to see it if they want to go and see it - they are already familiar with the product and don't need a review to advise them on whether to buy a ticket.

The bigger question IMHO is whether these reviews reflect a film that may not be as well received by moviegoers as a typical MCU film - Will the film have people go and see it repeatedly? Will it have good word of mouth or ongoing legs at the box office? I feel like this may not get the same kind of audience scores as typical MCU films as it might not be as "satisfying" as a typical popcorn flick. I guess we'll see.

But there is zero chance Feige is going anywhere unless he wants to.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If Marvel ends up making more money off of Spider-Man: No Way Home (a film that Marvel gets only a portion of profits of) than Eternals (a film they wholly own and collect all profits from), I cannot picture a scenario where Kevin Feige doesn't see his power significantly curtailed or forced out of Marvel entirely.

The MCU has grossed over $23B and is the most successful movie franchise ever, and that is before Eternals has even been released. This is in large part due to Feige being its creative driver. So yeah, Feige's job and his "power" within Disney/Marvel is safe.

Archie123

Lol, Feige isn't going anywhere at all.

Slpy3270

Lol, Feige isn't going anywhere at all.
The score dropped to 59% "Rotten" now. That's the kind of territory that should make Disney panic, especially if No Way Home is more profitable.

Will Marvel try to get Captain America and Iron Man back to the MCU?

doctornick

The score dropped to 59% "Rotten" now. That's the kind of territory that should make Disney panic, especially if No Way Home is more profitable.

Yeah just like they fired Lassiter when Pixar had films that were “rotten”. :rolleyes:

there isn’t going to be anything remotely resembling “panic” no matter what happens with Eternals

Slpy3270

Yeah just like they fired Lassiter when Pixar had films that were “rotten”.

there isn’t going to be anything remotely resembling “panic” no matter what happens with Eternals
The film was made on a $200 million budget. If it doesn't get a China release then given the polarized reception there's no way it will be profitable. And since the rest of Disney's 2021 slate will likely lose the studio hundreds of millions due to lack of normalization at the box office, you will almost certainly bet Chapek will demand changes, just like how Iger forced Kennedy to downplay POC in future Star Wars media after TLJ.

Jedijax719

Several critics with well known YT channels (Grace Randolf and John Campea) don't think it warrants such a slow rating. Grace didn't like it at first but then warmed up to it on 2nd viewing. John liked it a lot. Not as much as Shang Chi, but still liked it. This feels like a pile-up. If it goes rotten, it will not only hurt the film but throw question marks to the one franchise that is keeping theaters alive right now. We'd probably be looking at Black Widow numbers or even lower if the movie stays in rotten territory. That's a bad look. Not bad enough for a shake up, but definitely a bad look for movies to take a new direction. I think that would be the biggest overall effect. Movies will go back to being very formulaic again.

Archie123

Please stop. You sound like that other “movie expert” who keeps making stupid predictions that are always wrong. The score can drop to 1% and his job is safe.

erasure fan1

Agreed. If something like Thor or Guardians flops, then maybe you see Disney become concerned. Eternals has plenty of outs if it underperforms. Covid, they're new characters... I just don't see Disney adjusting anything at this point.

BrianLo

The only thing this impacts is perhaps Chloe Zhao being invited back for the sequel - even that probably comes down to box office.

Kevin Feige's job is beyond untouchable, he's literally the highest grossing producer of all time. All the more laughable since they JUST successfully launched another unknown character last month. I'd say Kevin Feige would need to have a solid decade of disappointments before Disney would even consider letting him go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom