Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Bairstow

And that's my whole point. Nothing in that picture says Twilight Zone. Instead of an abandoned hotel getting hit by lightening, it could be an abandoned hotel that gets hit by space aliens. If I remember correctly the Flash Gordon serials started in the 40s, so Sci-Fi is totally appropriate for the era and the current theming. Instead of being an elevator that drops you into the basement, it could be an elevator that rockets you into the galaxies, or time travel, or whatever and still have a great theme inside and out.

I'm not trying to defend Disney for being cheap here. I too would much rather have a new attraction. I'm just not sure why people are so attached to a non-Disney IP that only exists in a Disney park because it was probably the cheapest one Eisner could find at the time.

The only suitable IP for a Tower of Terror overlay:

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Speaking of syndicated TV shows, my tablet has died and I'm too lazy to plug it in, my phone has decided to enter the witness protection program, I need more chocolate milk and I'm missing Perry Mason.

So see y'all later - I'm heading to the frig for a refill and then some Perry watching. It's been real.

NearTheEars

And that's my whole point. Nothing in that picture says Twilight Zone. Instead of an abandoned hotel getting hit by lightening, it could be an abandoned hotel that gets hit by space aliens. If I remember correctly the Flash Gordon serials started in the 40s, so Sci-Fi is totally appropriate for the era and the current theming. Instead of being an elevator that drops you into the basement, it could be an elevator that rockets you into the galaxies, or time travel, or whatever and still have a great theme inside and out.

I'm not trying to defend Disney for being cheap here. I too would much rather have a new attraction. I'm just not sure why people are so attached to a non-Disney IP that only exists in a Disney park because it was probably the cheapest one Eisner could find at the time.

I thought aliens were intelligent. Why would they hit an empty, abandoned old Hollywood hotel full of carefully placed memorabilia that points directly back to episodes of the Twighlight Zone?

Marc Davis Fan

I've been to DCA a few times over the past several months, and noticed that one of the ToT's three shafts has consistently been closed (the one on the far right when facing toward the elevators). I've also noticed that the elevators are nonetheless operating in that shaft (visible from outside). Perhaps this is testing for the overlay?

Cesar R M

You can probably draw some sort of connection between virtually any two Marvel characters which is what makes that "families" clause of the contract so tricky.
Agree. Pretty sure the "seven degrees of Kevin Bacon" style connection ties every single character with each other.
From the most obscure galactic ones, to th
Ahh... sorry, I misunderstood. As for the layers of Twilight Zone theming within the queue, load area and throughout the ride, everything was done with the Twilight Zone in mind. You can only strip down the attraction down so much before retheming it to Guardians. If you told anywhere on here that they were adding a Guardians of the Galaxy ride that uses the Tower of Terror drop system we'd have people saying why re-use the ride system but otherwise be ok with the ride.

The issue is WDW1974 said they're not starting from scratch, they're doing a 5 month overhaul. Given Disney's normal pace, they're not going to be able to do enough to change the attraction and surrounding areas to Guardians.

Having said that, I expect more information on this to come out in a few days. I'm less concerned about this as I was 12 hours ago.
I honestly fear they will do another cheap "Superstar Limo" thing.. :/

Cesar R M

Finally, a Python reference...
nobodyexpectsthespanishinquisition.jpg

Welcome to today's Disney: Where the story's made up and the theme doesn't matter.

more like "we re-use attractions and then randomly slap any story we modify TO FIT"

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yeah. How'd that savetoad.com thing go for everyone?

Now you are just being mean. I see you drinking in a very pricey glass (that Scotch that makes you sound MUCH smarter than you likely are!) while scornfully looking at the folks living below you when you state such meanness.

But your point is well-taken. I'm just trying to ascertain whether this project can be stopped and I am feeling Anaheim is a total lost cause and O-Town is getting closer (see my next post as to why).

Cesar R M

Welcome to today's Disney: Where the story's made up and the theme doesn't matter.
I'm still not convinced they are...Gamora, rocket raccoon have ties to hulk, silver surfer(which is Fantastic Four). Drax is from silver surfer among other places. The villains couldn't be used. I can't see it holding up in arbitration.
Rocket also links with Nova a few times. including the younger one.
And they are all tied also with Mantis, Jack Flag, and Adam Warlock... Who pretty much fights multiverse events (most caused directly or indirectly by Thanos)

Cesar R M

Nothing if it helps to improve and save the company. I recall when Kmart and Sears were the top dogs in the retail world but a little company called Walmart pulled the rug out from them.

I also recall when Eastern Air Lines and TWA were healthy air carries. I also remember when RCA was the top maker of radios and television sets.

Failure to change with the times killed all of those companies. Thank goodness that Disney is willing to change as needed to grow and improve their media empire and theme parks. Disney is still very healthy, but they won't continue to be if they don't change.

Disney has more than enough visitors to their parks. They need to push their own IP with their captive audience. It just makes sense. There is going to be more profit for Disney selling a Groot plush rather than selling a Rod Serling ashtray from the ToT gift shop.

But let's say the GotG re-theme fails and the Groot plush doesn't sell. They can always go back to the Twilight Zone theme and sell autographed Rod Serling Zippo lighters in the gift shop.
lol yeah right, because they would totally do another redo...

While I agree with many of your comments, change solely for the sake of change, especially if not thought carefully but rashly is counter productive and can be harmful to the bottom line. As I've stated several times before, where is New Coke? What did the decision of the Coca Cola Company to update it's core product do to that company? How much did Coke loose on that decision? Good will is a very valuable asset for a company as branded as Coke....or Disney.

Agree, and the "new coke" For disney seems to be "ultra high prices.. with cost cuts everywhere and fading fast product quality in all aspects, from food to staff"

I would love to see what JK would take to part with such a valuable IP that has made her, next to the Queen, the 2nd richest woman in the UK. And someone highly protective of said IP.

Actually, I remember reading that JK donated a huge bunch of her money.. and is not as rich now.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Heard from another source tonight. From a completely different part of TWDC. Again, confirmation of a few things.

1.) Desire to stop paying CBS royalties, even if they must be a pittance (trying to find out what that deal entails), as the deal is up for renewal; and
2.) Chappie's desire to get Marvel IP into the parks (as he was very good at selling Thor hammers, Hulk action figures and Avengers tees as head of CP) as quickly and cheaply as possible.

Are the crazies still saying I am wrong or pulling this out of my tuchus? Oh, and again let me stress that both WDI and Chappie are not doing this to destroy ToT. They just are so beyond ignorant that they think this is a great idea. Not sure anything is gonna stop this train. (Oh and please tell the Twit nuts that Disney can and will use Guardians in O-Town ... and if these characters are allegedly going to be in a film with the Avengers, that has either passed muster with legal or they won't be in the film. I haven't studied the contract, but I don't think just appearing in a film with these characters makes them off-limits. I could be wrong about that, but Disney isn't moving ahead without this being already certified as OK. No secret deals with UNI here.)

WDW1974

Original Poster
My friend, i need a link....

Andy Castro is 21RoyalStreet on the Tweeter.
I have no idea what he has said today ... maybe he repaid my kindness with a shot, who knows? I just like much of what he has to say and respect his passion for what he believes in. I don't see him fitting in with the new Micechat at all, but he does have ambitions beyond working for free for a fan site (again, something to be praised).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom