Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

the.dreamfinder

WHile the above area is being shortened the shot you posted is destruction of the backstage at disneyland and some of the berm.
Better?
i-s8jvqFf-O.png

Photo: MintCrocodile

wdwgreek

See i don't actually enjoy tower of terror as a ride, but the attraction is stunning in its execution and design. If this turns out to be the case this is a equal to or even a greater travesty then the Froz-norway debacle. Did TCM saving the GMR, shift a different classic under the haphazard wrecking ball that the company is aimlessly swinging?

MarkTwain

I am not (currently) wrong. And there is an awfully big push for this to happen. That doesn't mean it won't be canceled or, more likely, delayed. But current management doesn't see why this is a horrible idea. That's the scary thing. They think they have a great idea to add a 'new' E-Ticket that celebrates an expensive acquired IP at a very low (relatively speaking) cost.

Why on earth is WDI pushing for this? What do they have to gain?

I know some in WDI have expressed concern that too many long-term Imagineers that "get it" have left the company recently... I didn't realize it was so bad that Glendale is now being run by Neanderthals.

MarkTwain

Anyway, I would like to think that Tower of Terror is far too large and architecturally detailed to be worth retheming. That's a lot of exterior surface to somehow redo to something sci-fi and from outer space; it's a 200-foot tall building that's visible from multiple sides. And as for the interior, nothing about dusty boilers and 1930s art deco really suggests something that can be quickly swapped out for Star Lord and Groot.

This isn't like Maelstrom where there's very little exterior facade, and where the existing ride is 2-3 minutes long and already similar to the retheme.

I mean at one point does it become more feasible to simply build something new?

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Anyway, I would like to think that Tower of Terror is far too large and architecturally detailed to be worth retheming. That's a lot of exterior surface to somehow redo to something sci-fi and from outer space; it's a 200-foot tall building that's visible from multiple sides. And as for the interior, nothing about dusty boilers and 1930s art deco really suggests something that can be quickly swapped out for Star Lord and Groot.

This isn't like Maelstrom where's there very little exterior facade, and where the existing ride is 2-3 minutes long and already similar to the retheme.

I mean at one point does it become more feasible to simply build something new?
The Collector would offer up the sort of convoluted backstory justification that today's Walt Disney Imagineering loves.

FigmentJedi

Trying to remember if Doctor Strange is anywhere in Marvel Superhero Island. Because swapping out Rod Serling for Benedict Cumberbatch is actually believable and a story about a dimension hopping wizard guy would be way more simple and low effort to put in there versus a space show.

Like imagine a projection mapping crazy version of the Fifth Dimension hallway like some kinda modern CG version of this.
strangescan.jpg

Last edited:

chris chris

While I hate the idea of losing ToT, it makes absolute sense to trash it if a Marvel land were to take its place. Are guests going to come for one ride thats been around for ever, or come for a whole new well themed land? I don't see disney losing money from trashing Mr. Toad, or Maelstrom.

ToT won't fit in with the parks future theme of acquired companies, unless theres an Old Hollywood land (but really what else would go there? The street performers?)

Magenta Panther

Trying to remember if Doctor Strange is anywhere in Marvel Superhero Island. Because swapping out Rod Serling for Bandersnatch Crumblebuns is actually believable and a story about a dimension hopping wizard guy would be way more simple and low effort to put in there versus a space show.

Like imagine a projection mapping crazy version of the Fifth Dimension hallway like some kinda modern CG version of this.
strangescan.jpg

Looks like crap.

Magenta Panther

While I hate the idea of losing ToT, it makes absolute sense to trash it if a Marvel land were to take its place. Are guests going to come for one ride thats been around for ever, or come for a whole new well themed land? I don't see disney losing money from trashing Mr. Toad, or Maelstrom.

ToT won't fit in with the parks future theme of acquired companies, unless theres an Old Hollywood land (but really what else would go there? The street performers?)

It makes no fricking sense at all. First of all, it's been made pretty clear by insiders here that Uni is not going to give up its Marvel contracts. So the best WDW is going to get is the stupid raccoon, the treeman and their ilk. And NOTHING makes sense to destroy a work of Imagineering art like the Tower just so you Marvel fanboys can get a dose of your adolescent power fantasies. What IS it with you guys? You can't enjoy WDW unless dorks with impossible muscles and capes are running around in it? Universal's very decent Spiderman attraction isn't enough for you? Why do you even GO to a Disney park, or care about it, if you think that it makes sense to "trash" one of its greatest accomplishments just so you can get to see the Incredible Hulk on a viewing screen which you can pretty much already see in a stupid Marvel movie in your own home?

Pathetic.

GrumpyFan

Hoping this goes the same way as those Carsland rumors @ DHS not too long ago!

I think GOTG deserves some kind of park presence, but not at the cost of something like ToT. That attraction is one of the best examples of execution in a park attraction that WDI has pulled off in the last 20 years, at least at WDW.

Magenta Panther

Well, I have to say, it is some comfort to come here and see all of the expressions of shock and pain over the rumor - hopefully, if there is a God, JUST a rumor - that WDW1974 shared with us. Misery loves company indeed.

And I didn't think I could despise Robert Iger any more than I do. AND his corporate goons. Even I never imagined how vile, how venial, how cheap, and how cynical they really are. To even THINK of this, much less think it's a good idea...god. Unfrickenbelievable.

I was at work when I read WDW1974's post...and I actually had to leave the room and go to the coffee shop and sit down for while. I was actually shaking a little. Not trying to be a drama queen, that's just the truth. I haven't felt such a sick twist in my gut...since I can't remember when. Maelstrom was one thing...even I knew that, much as I liked it, it was a "C" ride at best, so its loss, as annoying as it is and as affronted as I was by the cynical cheapwad mentality that shoehorned Frozen into it...well, I could deal with it. Eventually. But to replace one of the best attractions ever built in any park, to utterly destroy it in favor of an Iger acquisition...it's a tragedy, an insult to the Imagineers who built the Tower with such care and craft, and a further degradation to the Disney parks legacy.

It was bad enough when the Animation Courtyard was ripped out - the Courtyard that honored the art form that built the Walt Disney Company (and is still sustaining it; Frozen, and now, oh look, Zootopia is nipping at its heels in terms of incredible worldwide success) - it was bad enough when the Animation Courtyard was replaced with Star Wars. But this is just beyond imagining. For me, losing the Courtyard and One Man's Dream was very upsetting, but at least there was still the Brown Derby, Fantasmic, and most importantly....the Tower of Terror. If that goes...well, screw it then. I'll never step foot in DHS again. Because it's clear that Iger sees it as HIS legacy. He's going to force all of his stupid unnecessary acquisitions into it and the heck with whatever gets sacrificed as a result. The man is vile and oblivious beyond belief. We can only hope that this astonishingly stupid idea gets shelved. I hope Shanghai blows up in his face and ESPN goes down in flames and then his crappy house of cards will hopefully collapse on top of him. What a pox he's been to the company Walt built. God. That is all.

Magenta Panther

Bad enough that you hate the Muppets and everything Jim Henson, but you're gonna dump on Jack Kirby too?

Oh, horrors, the nerve of me. Yeah, that panel looks like crap and would look even worse in the Tower. Not everyone is into men in capes, you know, or racoons who pack heat. Meanwhile, the idea of a haunted Hollywood hotel is something anyone can grasp and enjoy.

I'm not even going to bother with your usual juvenile "you hate Muppets" jazz. Yeesh.

Haymarket2008

Well, I have to say, it is some comfort to come here and see all of the expressions of shock and pain over the rumor - hopefully, if there is a God, JUST a rumor - that WDW1974 shared with us. Misery loves company indeed.

And I didn't think I could despise Robert Iger any more than I do. AND his corporate goons. Even I never imagined how vile, how venial, how cheap, and how cynical they really are. To even THINK of this, much less think it's a good idea...god. Unfrickenbelievable.

I was at work when I read WDW1974's post...and I actually had to leave the room and go to the coffee shop and sit down for while. I was actually shaking a little. Not trying to be a drama queen, that's just the truth. I haven't felt such a sick twist in my gut...since I can't remember when. Maelstrom was one thing...even I knew that, much as I liked it, it was a "C" ride at best, so its loss, as annoying as it is and as affronted as I was by the cynical cheapwad mentality that shoehorned Frozen into it...well, I could deal with it. Eventually. But to replace one of the best attractions ever built in any park, to utterly destroy it in favor of an Iger acquisition...it's a tragedy, an insult to the Imagineers who built the Tower with such care and craft, and a further degradation to the Disney parks legacy.

It was bad enough when the Animation Courtyard was ripped out - the Courtyard that honored the art form that built the Walt Disney Company (and is still sustaining it; Frozen, and now, oh look, Zootopia is nipping at its heels in terms of incredible worldwide success) - it was bad enough when the Animation Courtyard was replaced with Star Wars. But this is just beyond imagining. For me, losing the Courtyard and One Man's Dream was very upsetting, but at least there was still the Brown Derby, Fantasmic, and most importantly....the Tower of Terror. If that goes...well, screw it then. I'll never step foot in DHS again. Because it's clear that Iger sees it as HIS legacy. He's going to force all of his stupid unnecessary acquisitions into it and the heck with whatever gets sacrificed as a result. The man is vile and oblivious beyond belief. We can only hope that this astonishingly stupid idea gets shelved. I hope Shanghai blows up in his face and ESPN goes down in flames and then his crappy house of cards will hopefully collapse on top of him. What a pox he's been to the company Walt built. God. That is all.

My thoughts exactly. Incredibly upsetting. Frozen was annoying and frustrating. This is sacrilege. The true death knell.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom