Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Excellent idea, @Jrn14. But will it be enough to counter the social media fanbois Disney has bought that TWDC will unleash?

Slowjack

Yeah, because buying Marvel, Pixar, and Lucasfilm are all terrible.

Is this idea terrible? Yeah, but I would argue that Iger has been a solid CEO and far more predictable than Eisner was.
I thought, and still think, buying Marvel was a bad idea. Unlike Pixar, which in many people's mind was already part of Disney, and Lucasfilm, which already had a large presence in the world of Disney, there wasn't any prior connection with Marvel, unless I missed it. For the price Disney paid, the only way to make it work was to shoehorn Marvel absolutely everywhere they could, whether it fits or not. Oh, wait...

(To be fair, I'm not as down on Iger as others are. But I don't think he's anywhere as good as first-half Eisner. Maybe on points he's better than last-half Eisner?)

RSoxNo1

Is this idea terrible? Yeah, but I would argue that Iger has been a solid CEO and far more predictable than Eisner was.
Neither CEO was perfect. Iger's legacy will be an incredible lineup of acquisitions. He eliminated the concern that Disney wasn't appealing to men and was at he helm when the animation department had another resurgence. That should be praised. However, he has continually made mistakes with the parks and resorts. While revenue from parks and resorts are up, quality is down. As such it's not unrealistic to say that parks and resorts could be doing significantly better than it already is.

Matt_Black

I thought, and still think, buying Marvel was a bad idea. Unlike Pixar, which in many people's mind was already part of Disney, and Lucasfilm, which already had a large presence in the world of Disney, there wasn't any prior connection with Marvel, unless I missed it.

Yup, several in fact. Marvel published several Disney tie-in comics, most notably Gargoyles. Disney had bought the home video rights to the 90s X-Men cartoon from FOX and the broadcast rights for several Marvel animated series so they could air them on Disney XD. It wasn't as extensive a prior working relationship as it was with Lucasfilm or the Muppets, but it was there.

FigmentJedi

Yup, several in fact. Marvel published several Disney tie-in comics, most notably Gargoyles. Disney had bought the home video rights to the 90s X-Men cartoon from FOX and the broadcast rights for several Marvel animated series so they could air them on Disney XD. It wasn't as extensive a prior working relationship as it was with Lucasfilm or the Muppets, but it was there.
Additionally, they considered buying Marvel back in the 90s, but Eisner was convinced that Gargoyles could be expanded into its own superhero universe, but unfortunately this never came to pass.

Launchpad McQuack

This may ruffle some feathers here, but I think it should be stressed here that closing/retheming Tower of Terror is not nearly the same as other attractions in the past. I think it could easily be argued that things like Maelstrom, Horizons, and Mr. Toad all became more popular in death than they ever were in life. Tower of Terror is one of the most popular and iconic attractions in all of Walt Disney World. It would be like closing down Space Mountain or Haunted Mansion (I've never been to Disneyland, but at least that holiday overlay makes some thematic sense). Closing or retheming Tower of Terror at this point would be the biggest mistake I've ever seen WDW make, as far as attractions are concerned.

Sam Magic

This may ruffle some feathers here, but I think it should be stressed here that closing/retheming Tower of Terror is not nearly the same as other attractions in the past. I think it could easily be argued that things like Maelstrom, Horizons, and Mr. Toad all became more popular in death than they ever were in life. Tower of Terror is one of the most popular and iconic attractions in all of Walt Disney World. It would be like closing down Space Mountain or Haunted Mansion (I've never been to Disneyland, but at least that holiday overlay makes some thematic sense). Closing or retheming Tower of Terror at this point would be the biggest mistake I've ever seen WDW make, as far as attractions are concerned.
It will be the biggest mistake in the entirety of Disney history.

Slowjack

Ah, fair enough. But I still think buying Marvel was a bad idea, especially at that price. This and the Avatar move reeked of desperation. It's like when an NFL team spends a boatload of money in free-agency for a mid-tier quarterback because they feel like they have to do something.

Mike S

Should've made it clear I was focusing on the parks.
And the little known fact that the one and only Spider-Man was supposed to appear in the original Journey into Imagination.
image.jpeg

bcoachable

Took the family to Telluride for Spring Break.
Financially a tad less than a week at Disney.
At the risk of telling the world a family secret... Our family all felt that Telluride is the most beautiful place we have ever been.

Relevance you ask?
There is a ski run there called "The Plunge".
In the absence of TOT, this ski run will fill the void.
Vacation Dollars were well spent....

Mike S

Took the family to Telluride for Spring Break.
Financially a tad less than a week at Disney.
At the risk of telling the world a family secret... Our family all felt that Telluride is the most beautiful place we have ever been.

Relevance you ask?
There is a ski run there called "The Plunge".
In the absence of TOT, this ski run will fill the void.
Vacation Dollars were well spent....
Pixie Duster: "Ew, who would actually go skiiing when we have Blizzard Beach?"

Dukeblue1227

Let me first say I'm just as disgusted as anyone. I might be one of a small group that would legitimately skip a few trips because of this (just out of principle). But to play devils advocate let's just say this shouldn't truly be that surprising in what has become a trend over the last decade;

They care 100x more about obtaining new guests than they do making old ones happy. (This has probably been stated a few times over the previous 48 pages but don't have time to read through it all).

At the end of the day they know people won't stop coming who were coming anyway because of a ToT retheme. They will however potentially be able to bring in new guests they couldn't before. It gives them a new scope for advertising they didn't have before (the title of this thread to be exact, marvel is now in WDW).

I hate hate hate this. But even if I skip a trip or two I would have taken before, I'll still go back because I love the place.

They care more about their next dollar than the nostalgia of their last.

Cesar R M

Did I just read that the CCP is effectively dicatating how popular other parks are so that the Shanghai numbers look good? Wouldn't it make more sense for Disney to just lie about Shanghai?
the CCP pretty much could destroy Disney if proving them wrong. What if the whole thing is about "whos the boss" and not "who is earning money"?

gmajew

Premium Member
Seriously I would much rather have them take Space Mountain off line replace it with the new track and then put an overlay like they did for Star Wars at DL but here do Guardians. Would make way more sense... since currently our space is in dire need

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom