Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Bob Harlem

The 60 mile radius stipulation in the Marvel contract will probably make this Energy with some guardians thrown in around parts, rather than them being the front and center focus to skirt around the edges of the contract.

Brer Panther

Yup. Not to mention Pete's Dragon being a B-List Disney movie already that's primarily known because of a parade float, the vast disconnect to the source material that turns it into a dull extended Gravity Falls episode down to the bumbling cop duo being the same, the director's choice of making the dragon into a giant dog because reptilian dragons can't be cuddly. Remakes made with a disrespect for the material have a tendency for failure. Sometimes they're able to sell themselves on other aspects like how Maleficent was able to make a ton of money on Angelina Jolie and the existing popularity of the character even though it took a steaming dump on the source material, but I haven't seen much hype for Pete's Dragon 2016 at all.
If it flops, any chance Disney will can those live action reboots of Mulan, Winnie the Pooh, Pinocchio ect.?

chiefs11

The 60 mile radius stipulation in the Marvel contract will probably make this Energy with some guardians thrown in around parts, rather than them being the front and center focus to skirt around the edges of the contract.
I'm pretty confident that the Disney legal team is much more aware of what the contract allows and does not allow then anyone on this forum. If they are focussing this ride on the GotG, then they are obviously allowed to do so. If there was any question about it, they would have cleared it up before any serious planning for this even began.

RSoxNo1

Using the characters is black or white. They can be used in the parks or not. They wouldn't let the Avengers monorail on the Epcot loop, but they would let Guardians in The Great Movie Ride. The characters can be used.

DoTheImpossible

Please stop bringing up the "contract" dun dun dun...

I'm in Law School, for whatever that's worth. I assure you Team Legal Disney would not try and dance around or find a loophole to get an IP in their park or be bound by the plans of Marvel Studios. Guardians has obviously been approved. It's not a concern. Now Guardians in Future World on the other hand....(not gonna lie I'm excited for pretty much anything in EPCOT at this point, it's bleeding).

Phil12

No, they won't.

Unless you have proof to back this up?
It all goes back to CBS owning the rights to Twilight Zone. Why should Disney continue to pay a licensing fee to CBS for use of the Twilight Zone when Disney has plenty of good IP with which they could re-theme ToT? When the current licensing contract expires, Disney will switch to something else because the Twilight Zone doesn't go into the public domain until 2055.

And besides, look at all the opportunities Disney is missing to sell plush based on their own IP at ToT. Disney still loves to have corporate sponsors such as GM, HP, Coke and Siemens but as those sponsors diminish, they want to push their own IP as much as posiible.

chiefs11

It all goes back to CBS owning the rights to Twilight Zone. Why should Disney continue to pay a licensing fee to CBS for use of the Twilight Zone when Disney has plenty of good IP with which they could re-theme ToT? When the current licensing contract expires, Disney will switch to something else because the Twilight Zone doesn't go into the public domain until 2055.

And besides, look at all the opportunities Disney is missing to sell plush based on their own IP at ToT. Disney still loves to have corporate sponsors such as GM, HP, Coke and Siemens but as those sponsors diminish, they want to push their own IP as much as posiible.
It could be a relatively minor tweak to the story line and narration to just remove the Twilight Zone references if they wanted to. The premise of the ride could stand alone without it.

BrianLo

The name. That's an interesting one.

I've heard nothing directly naming it either "Marvel" or "Guardians".

Sorry, there are multiple threads for this going on now so I may stumble across the answer.

Regardless of name, I'm still confused if this is an actual GoTG ride. On a scale of....

1) They are bound by the Universal contract, it can't be much more than UoE feat Chris Pratt, who may at some point dress up as Star Lord, but is still "Chris Pratt".
10) It's a full-on GoTG ride, sans name perhaps.

Where roughly are we landing?

MonkeyHead

I don't understand the delusion people seem to have as they keep believing that the following isn't one hundred percent true:

a contract is a contract and "in perpetuity" means FOREVER and Universal has exactly zero interest in selling back the rights.

Phil12

It could be a relatively minor tweak to the story line and narration to just remove the Twilight Zone references if they wanted to. The premise of the ride could stand alone without it.
I think you're right, but it leaves out the element of selling Disney's own IP. For example, I could see a re-theme involving a massive sink hole that completely swallows the ToT. The next thing you know, the ToT pops up on the ocean floor near the Great Barrier Reef where we meet out new friend Dory and we help her look for her Mom and Dad. Even Groot shows up to lend a helping hand, root, branch, limb or whatever else he can best provide.

wdwfan22

They are not going to be putting GotG in Mission Space. They would want to put it and use a ride system all ages can experience.

Yep I'm well aware of the rumored location. I was just letting the spirit know that they didn't full copy and paste his news. They switched it up a little with Mission space. The other site loves to take information from him and present it as their own.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom