Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Phil12

...Ok, I see your point, and I'll let it go (....) with Frozen.

HOWEVER the commercials did not reflect the movie and weren't the best promotional material they could have used. That said, they really could have put some faith in their animators- it's a beautifully done film. They should have seen that.
Yes but Pinocchio was a beautifully done film as well, yet it struggled at the box office in its initial release.

Donaldfan1934

Each Island had a different team behind it, a good amount of the creative team behind the park as of opening day were previously Imagineers (some of them still are today). One of the head Imagineers of Ariel's Undersea Adventure worked on several parts of Seuss Landing. Also a majority of the park's budget went to Spiderman which caused several opening day attractions planned around the park to either be cancelled or postponed.
That explains a lot. The creative processes that you described definitely shows through in the final product. Happy to see that one of the people who worked on the best area of the park went on to work for Disney.

Cesar R M

Why it offends some people if girls like the same things they do is beyond me. Last I checked having common interests is a good thing.
Seems some people have just say too small self steem.

I was facepalming as well when I seen the stupid "meninist' men comments on youtube about rogue one.
Where they claim they wont see more male star wars stars and how feminism is killing the movies.
Have they been to the cinema lately? Despite the advancement of female stars.. The movie cinema is still a sausage fest of white men in their thirties.

Cesar R M

I'd also argue Avatar's a bad example seeing as the Mattel toyline for the original show went to great awkward lengths to avoid making toys of any female characters in favor of churning out Aang and Sokka variants.
Thats mattel's issue. And Pretty sure Star Wars was having the same thanks to the toy executives.
I mean.. have you seen the star wars packages of TFA?
There is NO REY ANYWHERE despite being one of the main actors if not the main!

Not to mention Korra got thrown into bad time slots and eventually booted off network broadcasting in favor of an online only release.

Pretty sure because it contained "sensitive" material than for kids.
For example. There was this "Lesbo" love between Korra and Kasumi. That was too much for many "precious".
Hence why the last season of Korra was moved out, despite strong ratings even after the dumb hour changes.
I think Korra was very mature. It was targeting the kids who grew and followed the original Avatar... now with Young Teen/adult issues.

Speaking of the turd of a movie by Shimalan.. I remember he was trying later to defend himself. Because he was forced by producers (no surprise) to whitewash the cast and do a lot of edits in the story.
I still do not believe him, because the "powers" and "bendings" were downright ridiculous.. hell.. more like embarrassing effects.

As for Green Lantern.
The series seemed to be targeted for kids between 9 and 14 (the ben ten group).
The movie looked so corny and seemed to be targeted to the 16-21 crowd.
Different groups. So no idea why the horrible movie would affect the solid tv series.
The rumors said it was getting "too costly" for the suits at CN. And how again.. the toy line was getting "popular' with the female group.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

I'll forgive them being unprepared for Frozen. Certainly, the fan reactions to the early trailers and promotional trailers were mixed at best. Nobody expected Frozen to be as huge as it was.
They still took like..almost a year to start to do something with Frozen. Despite having surpassed Tangled and The Princess and the Frog by a lot.

Matt_Black

Regardless of the quality of YJ's toyline, that does not excuse CN's quite frankly appallingly unprofessional behavior like scheduling long breaks between new episodes right after a long break between new episodes without telling anyone beforehand, including the showrunners of the programs being affected. The producer of Green Lantern in particular was very vocal about his displeasure.

FigmentJedi

As for Green Lantern.
The series seemed to be targeted for kids between 9 and 14 (the ben ten group).
The movie looked so corny and seemed to be targeted to the 16-21 crowd.
Different groups. So no idea why the horrible movie would affect the solid tv series.
The rumors said it was getting "too costly" for the suits at CN. And how again.. the toy line was getting "popular' with the female group.
There was never a Green Lantern TAS toyline or merchandising, that was the problem. Mattel refused to make any toys based on the show because the toys for the movie were complete duds. That if nobody would buy Ryan Reynolds and his Ugly CG friends, they wouldn't be interested in the cartoon versions. In fact, it was pretty much decided GLTAS wouldn't be renewed for a second season the moment it started airing

Matt_Black

There was never a Green Lantern TAS toyline or merchandising, that was the problem. Mattel refused to make any toys based on the show because the toys for the movie were complete duds. That if nobody would buy Ryan Reynolds and his Ugly CG friends, they wouldn't be interested in the cartoon versions. In fact, it was pretty much decided GLTAS wouldn't be renewed for a second season the moment it started airing

Still doesn't explain CN keeping those involved in the making of the show out of the loop. I don't believe that would have happened at Disney, at least not to that extent.

Captain Chaos

Regardless of the quality of YJ's toyline, that does not excuse CN's quite frankly appallingly unprofessional behavior like scheduling long breaks between new episodes right after a long break between new episodes without telling anyone beforehand, including the showrunners of the programs being affected. The producer of Green Lantern in particular was very vocal about his displeasure.
Sounds like CW with Arrow and Flash. They just had a new episode and BAM, 2/3 week break. WTH??? I mean really? These TV seasons could be so much shorter, but yea I know, money, advertising, and all that. It really ruins the flow of the shows in my honest opinion.

Matt_Black

Sounds like CW with Arrow and Flash. They just had a new episode and BAM, 2/3 week break. WTH??? I mean really? These TV seasons could be so much shorter, but yea I know, money, advertising, and all that. It really ruins the flow of the shows in my honest opinion.

Well, that's not unusual for prime time television, or at least it was the norm. Many networks, like ABC, are now doing longer mid-season breaks so they can show a whole stretch from the premiere to the finale.

Animated cable series, on the other hand, don't really have set "seasons" times the way other networks do, so they're more at the whim of the schedulers at the respective network.

Captain Chaos

Well, that's not unusual for prime time television, or at least it was the norm. Many networks, like ABC, are now doing longer mid-season breaks so they can show a whole stretch from the premiere to the finale.

Animated cable series, on the other hand, don't really have set "seasons" times the way other networks do, so they're more at the whim of the schedulers at the respective network.
Yea I know, mid season breaks... I'm talking about once they come back from mid season break... CW has a bad habit of taking a mid season winter break, coming back for 1 or 2 new shows, then another 3 week break, then 1 or 2 new shows, then 2/3 weeks off. Ruins the flow of the show. Personally, and I know networks probably would never do this during the "main" broadcasting season but 10-13 weeks for a season is enough. Ties up loose ends quickly, doesn't drags things out, doesn't keep viewers from getting bored with the filler garbage, and makes things much more interesting. But, money is always going to talk. And I get that. And media execs wonder why viewers are turning to Hulu and Netflix? Yea, it may take months, or a year for a show to hit Netflix, but at least with these two avenues, we can watch straight through, on our own time, with no mid season break, or no 2/3 week breaks in between new shows.

gmajew

Yea I know, mid season breaks... I'm talking about once they come back from mid season break... CW has a bad habit of taking a mid season winter break, coming back for 1 or 2 new shows, then another 3 week break, then 1 or 2 new shows, then 2/3 weeks off. Ruins the flow of the show. Personally, and I know networks probably would never do this during the "main" broadcasting season but 10-13 weeks for a season is enough. Ties up loose ends quickly, doesn't drags things out, doesn't keep viewers from getting bored with the filler garbage, and makes things much more interesting. But, money is always going to talk. And I get that. And media execs wonder why viewers are turning to Hulu and Netflix? Yea, it may take months, or a year for a show to hit Netflix, but at least with these two avenues, we can watch straight through, on our own time, with no mid season break, or no 2/3 week breaks in between new shows.

I agree with you what CW does is horrible... Excited show is back then gone again... either hold off on coming back or stop torturing us...

Captain Chaos

I agree with you what CW does is horrible... Excited show is back then gone again... either hold off on coming back or stop torturing us...
Yea and with Arrow this season, with the reveal of who was knocked off at the beginning of the season, they go and ruin the flow by showing who was killed and then.. THREE WEEKS OFF. Way to kill any momentum they could have finally been getting this season.

But, oops, off topic. This is about Marvel in WDW. And GotG in ToT. Terrible idea. Looks like most of us hate it. Means Disney will go through with it. They have so much hatred and contempt for their fans.

Matt_Black

I believe that's a holdover from the sweeps tradition. November, February, and May would traditionally have new episodes every week. So that's 12 episodes right there. A normal full season order is somewhere between 20-25 episodes, so that's anywhere between 8 and 13 episodes you have to sprinkle through out the season. And TV execs are often crazy people, so there's often little rhyme or reason as to when they air those other episodes.

Phineas

And then, in middle school, along came Batman: The Animated Series.
Aaaand it's time to dig out my DVDs and watch those again.

Also, I'm of a similar mindset: I don't hate Universal having Marvel Land-I just think that Disney could/would do better than Uni did-something more inspiring than arguably the most Six Flags-esque thing at Uni- Spider-Man notwithstanding, though that queue is desperate for a refurb. The cutouts of characters and generic off-the-shelf rides painted to be themed to Marvel is a tad uninspiring, IMO.

I know it's not realistic to think that Disney will suddenly find the loophole that allows them the use of the Marvel A-list, but it's still something I'd love to see happen, filed right next to Beastly Kingdom under "Probably not in your lifetime, Phineas."

Soarin' Over Pgh

Yea and with Arrow this season, with the reveal of who was knocked off at the beginning of the season, they go and ruin the flow by showing who was killed and then.. THREE WEEKS OFF. Way to kill any momentum they could have finally been getting this season.

But, oops, off topic. This is about Marvel in WDW. And GotG in ToT. Terrible idea. Looks like most of us hate it. Means Disney will go through with it. They have so much hatred and contempt for their fans.

Two of my favorite posters, nerding out. <3 Captain and Matt!

I don't think it's hatred as much as it's an overall DGAF attitude the entire company has seemingly embraced. Doesn't make it right, doesn't mean we, the fans, will like it, but I truly think they just don't care.

lazyboy97o

Also, I'm of a similar mindset: I don't hate Universal having Marvel Land-I just think that Disney could/would do better than Uni did-something more inspiring than arguably the most Six Flags-esque thing at Uni- Spider-Man notwithstanding, though that queue is desperate for a refurb. The cutouts of characters and generic off-the-shelf rides painted to be themed to Marvel is a tad uninspiring, IMO.
And they haven't. Even the anchor of the Disney's California Adventure Marvel Land is supposedly a launched coaster.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom