Man tries to bring gun into Disney World, deputies say (WFTV)

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
(Presented without Commentary)

BAY LAKE, Fla. —

A Miami lawyer was arrested last Friday afternoon after trying to bring a gun into the Magic Kingdom Park, the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said.

A Walt Disney World security guard was searching bags outside the park when she noticed a bulge in a man’s pants.

Andrew Gerson, 36, joked that the bulge was part of his anatomy, but deputies said it was actually a snub-nosed revolver loaded with five hollow-point bullets.

Gerson walked away and the security guard located a sheriff’s deputy, a Sheriff’s Office report said.

The deputy followed Gerson from a distance, and when he noticed he was being followed, Gerson started to run, according to the report.

That’s when the deputy pointed a gun at Gerson, commanding him to stop.

Gerson then admitted to the deputy that he was armed and dropped to his knees, the report said.

“He did the right thing,” said Orange County Capt. Angelo Nieves. “He offered the commands, and the subject did obey and surrendered to the deputy.”

Investigators said Gerson claimed he had a concealed weapons permit, but officials said the permit expired 10 years ago.

"We immediately engaged law enforcement and the matter was resolved quickly and without incident,” a Walt Disney World representative said. “Our policies are clear, and we have zero tolerance for any violation of them."

Gerson was charged with illegally carrying a concealed weapon and bonded out of jail.

Calls made to Gerson weren’t returned.

NearTheEars

I tried to read the police narrative from the TV package and it never specifies whether the guy went inside the MK or not. Given the deputies action's I'm assuming that he did not.

The narrative does not add anything to the story above.

I would assume that he was turned away after making the not so funny bulge joke at the bag check and headed back toward Seven Seas Lagoon. Too bad he didn't jump in and swim away.

bhg469

I would assume that he was turned away after making the not so funny bulge joke at the bag check and headed back toward Seven Seas Lagoon. Too bad he didn't jump in and swim away.
Bulge jokes are definitely frowned upon in most establishments. I think he was already in the lagoon though. Running from authorities when you have been confronted for smuggling a firearm is a move that someone with a brain eating amoeba might make.

R W B

Well that's odd. Hes a civil and criminal defense lawyer from a Google search. He would obviously know the ramifications of bringing a firearm into MK. I wish the story was more descriptive and said where he was arrested at. If the officer drew his own weapon then it couldn't of been inside MK because it's way too busy and an off target shot could do a lot of damage. Wonder what guys reasoning was to bring a gun, wonder if it was just for self defense. I carry a firearm daily but no way would I ever try to get it into a park, I don't even bring it to DTD.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
(Presented without Commentary)

BAY LAKE, Fla. —

A Miami lawyer was arrested last Friday afternoon after trying to bring a gun into the Magic Kingdom Park, the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said.

A Walt Disney World security guard was searching bags outside the park when she noticed a bulge in a man’s pants.

Andrew Gerson, 36, joked that the bulge was part of his anatomy, but deputies said it was actually a snub-nosed revolver loaded with five hollow-point bullets.

Gerson walked away and the security guard located a sheriff’s deputy, a Sheriff’s Office report said.

The deputy followed Gerson from a distance, and when he noticed he was being followed, Gerson started to run, according to the report.

That’s when the deputy pointed a gun at Gerson, commanding him to stop.

Gerson then admitted to the deputy that he was armed and dropped to his knees, the report said.

“He did the right thing,” said Orange County Capt. Angelo Nieves. “He offered the commands, and the subject did obey and surrendered to the deputy.”

Investigators said Gerson claimed he had a concealed weapons permit, but officials said the permit expired 10 years ago.

"We immediately engaged law enforcement and the matter was resolved quickly and without incident,” a Walt Disney World representative said. “Our policies are clear, and we have zero tolerance for any violation of them."

Gerson was charged with illegally carrying a concealed weapon and bonded out of jail.

Calls made to Gerson weren’t returned.

The sweet irony of a Lawyer illegally carrying a weapon and not having the wit to properly conceal said weapon.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Amazing that front line security caught that given some of the opinions on their effectiveness

The security guys up front are usually pretty good at finding stuff as I usually carry a small tactical flashlight which has a clip in my front pocket and I'm always asked to take it out, These guys are not so much searching your bag but looking at your RESPONSE to the search. We all know there are much 'scarier' security guys within a few steps of the 'officer friendly' types.

Eoghann

We never landed on the moon and the Earth is flat, not round. Where is the birth certificate!
I am the farthest thing from a conspirisist, but you are pretty much at the same point as I am...do YOU have any proof? There is nobody on this board that will have 100% proof of the truth, and if someone says otherwise they are lying because that person wouldn't be posting that information on this website without consequences to their clearance level.

You can't prove a negative.

Unless someone has something (even circumstantial) that suggests other than what was reported, we should just go with what was reported rather than accuse Disney of staging things. I say this for two reasons:

1) It's technically libelous
2) People will point at you and laugh

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom