Man falls out of Balcony at Contemporary Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapnStinxy

Huh?

Robfasto said:
I remember for years that the skylights in the roof of the Contemporary had to be boarded over to keep people from jumping through them. The finally found a suitable 'glass' to go up there so the sun can shine through.

Umm...I thought that was because the roof leaked? I say this because I distinctly remember having dinner with my parents in whatever was the forerunner of Chef Mickey's circa 1980 and having rainwater drip steadily on our table. I remember seeing plastic sheeting hanging below the skylight panels well into the '80s.

JROK

monorail_driver said:
i heard from a Contemporary worker something about a "love triangle" with three guys in the hotel room and an argument in the hotel room and he was pushed off ... I guess that report was wrong. I'm guessing they probably got back from Pleasure Island and has a little too much to drink ... sad ending to a magical vacation.

Well it was the final weekend of 'Gay Days' and I think Sunday they were at the Magic Kingdom and Saturday they were at Islands of Adventure... so maybe there was a love triangle between three men who were involved and in love... Does anyone know for sure that this was a family and all? Adults with children aren't the only people who stay at Disney hotels... but this is sad...

brich

JROK said:
... Does anyone know for sure that this was a family and all? Adults with children aren't the only people who stay at Disney hotels... but this is sad...
Your right. Adults without children stay there as well... We should probably stick to the thought that "someone's" vacation ended tragically... :(

pilka214

wow that's terrible. i can't imagine doing something like that, (cuz i have a fear of heights, I NEVER RIDE THe ELEVATOR. and yes i have walked 27 stories up stairs) but wow.. and this brings up another interesting topic.

in The Incredibles the dude who jumps out of the building who was "rescued" by mr incredible was commiting suicide........... but suicide is illegal. he could've been prosecuted. he couldnt have sued for that because he was doing something illegal. just my view of it and a lil off topic..

Hurricane

pilka214 said:
wow that's terrible. i can't imagine doing something like that, (cuz i have a fear of heights, I NEVER RIDE THe ELEVATOR. and yes i have walked 27 stories up stairs) but wow.. and this brings up another interesting topic.

in The Incredibles the dude who jumps out of the building who was "rescued" by mr incredible was commiting suicide........... but suicide is illegal. he could've been prosecuted. he couldnt have sued for that because he was doing something illegal. just my view of it and a lil off topic..

Not entirely, he could have sued in civil court for pain and suffering damages, but he would still face criminal charges. Example -- If an intruder breaks his leg in your house you are liable for the damages (assuming culpable negligence).

Robfasto

pilka214 said:
(cuz i have a fear of heights, I NEVER RIDE THe ELEVATOR. and yes i have walked 27 stories up stairs)

Even after walking you are still up 27 stories but just a bit more tired than riding an elevator. Problem with walking is that you can still look down to see how high you are up...

Neptune

Aww this is sad...I was just at the contemporary too.

Well, these type of things happen....But seriously, Why would he go to WDW to kill himself?

CoffeeJedi

pilka214 said:
cuz i have a fear of heights, I NEVER RIDE THe ELEVATOR

i never understood that. in an elevator you have no sense of height, whereas when you go up steps you have visual and physical confirmation of how high you're climbing

now, i do know several people who don't like elevators due to claustrophobia

speck76

MissionSpaceFan said:
But seriously, Why would he go to WDW to kill himself?

Why not?

People in that mind set are not neccessarily thinking clearly.

Why would anyone go to a hotel to kill themself?

We had a lady check-in once, wanted a big suite.....$2500 per night, the paid cash at check-in, went to the room, and put a gun down her throat.

She was from DC, and had flown in less than 2 hours before the suicide.

Why did she do it, nobody knows.....there was no note in the room, I do not know if she left one at home or not.

Hurricane said:
Not entirely, he could have sued in civil court for pain and suffering damages, but he would still face criminal charges. Example -- If an intruder breaks his leg in your house you are liable for the damages (assuming culpable negligence).

I don't think that he could have sued in civil court. For one thing, threatening suicide is an abuse of the police force (namely you are calling them out when they could be protecting/serving others). And possibly, though I have never heard of it, suicide may be illegal in some jurisdictions. If both of these situations are the case, then the person threatening or committing suicide would not be able to sue anyone for any damages suffered when someone tried to help him. Quite simply he doesn't have clean hands. In order to sue, you must have clean hands. For example, a drug abuser can't file suit against a drug dealer in civil court for fraud when the drug dealer sells him baby powder instead of cocaine. The abuser does not have clean hands, so the courts will not help him.

Additionally, Mr. Incredible's act of trying to help someone in obvious distress would likely (in many jurisdictions) render him immune from suit. For example, if a person is stuck in a burning car, and a passerby takes a stick and breaks out the rear window causing the glass to cut the person who is stuck...the person who is stuck can not sue the "good samaritan" because he was trying to help the person stuck in the car. The law favors selfless help of fellow humans, and to permit suit against a person who is trying to help, would stop such people from helping and thus people would not be helped in bad situations.

That is just my two cents. Suicide is such a sad thing. I pray for all those who have turned to it.

Johnny

KevinPage

MEBSTinkerbell said:
The mans death was ruled a suicide by the county :( Very sad

Welcome to WDWMagic, small world huh. :D

The wife (Jennifer) noticed this was your screename.

CRO-Magnum

Happens more often at WDW than people think, particularly from the observation deck at the Contemporary. I was told during our site survey in training for CRO that approximately 30-35 people die on WDW property each year primarily from natural causes followed by car accidents and suicides. We were told the most common suicide was jumping from the Contemporary. Our trainer, whose husband was a monorail lead, told us of one person glancing off the monorail track (not train) on the north side which cause it to shut down for some period of time (hours) after the incident. We had two jumpers, two overdoses, and one alcohol induced drowning which were ruled suicides during my 8 months of which I was aware.

Woody13

speck76 said:
No, simply because if you made the decision to jump, you would have your reasons.

[supports assisted suicide]
Thanks Speck. I knew I could count on you!:wave:

speck76

Woody13 said:
Thanks Speck. I knew I could count on you!:wave:

It is hard to [seriously] put someone in that position.

I don't feel anyone could every really empathize with someone in that mode of thought.

If someone is in so much pain (emotionally or physically) and they just want to stop living, it would be selfish of another to try and prevent their actions.

Woody13

speck76 said:
It is hard to [seriously] put someone in that position.

I don't feel anyone could every really empathize with someone in that mode of thought.

If someone is in so much pain (emotionally or physically) and they just want to stop living, it would be selfish of another to try and prevent their actions.
You're right! I am being serious too. When the time comes and suicide is the chosen option, then let the person do the act. However, I do have serious reservations about jumping from high public places. Bodies tend to bounce. I don't like the firearms method either.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Woody13 said:
You're right! I am being serious too. When the time comes and suicide is the chosen option, then let the person do the act. However, I do have serious reservations about jumping from high public places. Bodies tend to bounce. I don't like the firearms method either.

Think of the poor buggers that have to clean up or kids that might see. stick to pills or a metal coat hanger wired to the mains inserted up the jaxi (imagine having to explain that to the family).

Or better still talk to a mate.

Budke

MissionSpaceFan said:
But seriously, Why would he go to WDW to kill himself?

Depression and suicidal thoughts can be heightened during times happiness and joy. The time of the year with the most suicides is between Thanksgiving and New Years. In short, if your perception is "this is the happiest time of the year" or "this is the happiest place on earth" and you yourself are not happy and can't see how things will get better. So if this is supposed to be the best it can be, that it will never be better than this, and it isn't, suicidal thoughts can drive people to assume it never will be.

I believe this is a minor element in teenage suicide. So many people like to describe high school as "the best years of your life" which is the biggest load of ... stuff ... ever said about the teenage years. There is a great survey of people over the age of 70 asked to rate their three favorite decades of life. The compiled answers, from most favorite to least 60s, 50s, 40s, 30s, 20s, childhood, teens.

And that's off topic. Sorry.

Drugs and alcohol are different. People die at college every year because they think it would be cool to dance on a balcony railing or to climb up to the balcony above them. Just like kids who have tried to climb from one peoplemover to another at grad night. Some ideas that great when you're drunk can end up being the last idea you ever have.

tigsmom

Budke said:
I believe this is a minor element in teenage suicide. So many people like to describe high school as "the best years of your life" which is the biggest load of ... stuff ... ever said about the teenage years. There is a great survey of people over the age of 70 asked to rate their three favorite decades of life. The compiled answers, from most favorite to least 60s, 50s, 40s, 30s, 20s, childhood, teens.

Just to add to what you are saying, the teenage years are very hard because (and it has been medically proven) there is a rapid growth in the brain mass that is similar to infancy. This growth and the resulting chemical imbalances make teens act more irrational. Hence a minor incident to an adult is a very major life altering one to a teen. Occurance is more pronounced in males than females.

AEfx

I don't know who's sicker, the person who jumped or some of the people who have posted in this thread.

AEfx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom