• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Man Accused of Stealing Buzzy's Clothing from Disney World Arrested

GlacierGlacier

I feel super weird about this. Why don't we have a police report for Buzzy specifically? Why is there one for just his clothes, and just the Haunted Mansion clothes, but not the animatronic himself? Why didn't Disney report him as stolen?

I think it's important to note that the police report says "We learned the animatronic had been stolen," which isn't "Disney reported/Disney confirmed the animatronic had been stolen," or "We learned from Disney the animatronic had been stolen". The second you try to type anything about Buzzy/Cranium Command into Google it immediately autofills it to 'stolen'. Looking up anything about him will bring up tons and tons of information about him being apparently taken. It doesn't say where they learned this information...

Please don't flame me, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just personally trying to hold out hope until we get an official statement from Disney over where he is...this whole thing makes me terribly sad...
Likely because it is still under investigation. Likely once the whole thing closes more information will be released (Thanks sunshine State laws!).

It is entirely possible, as always, that we won't ever hear the whole story. But they're probably keeping info under wraps until it's no longer sensitive.

Daisy4eva

Advertisement
I feel super weird about this. Why don't we have a police report for Buzzy specifically? Why is there one for just his clothes, and just the Haunted Mansion clothes, but not the animatronic himself? Why didn't Disney report him as stolen?

I think it's important to note that the police report says "We learned the animatronic had been stolen," which isn't "Disney reported/Disney confirmed the animatronic had been stolen," or "We learned from Disney the animatronic had been stolen". The second you try to type anything about Buzzy/Cranium Command into Google it immediately autofills it to 'stolen'. Looking up anything about him will bring up tons and tons of information about him being apparently taken. It doesn't say where they learned this information...

Please don't flame me, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just personally trying to hold out hope until we get an official statement from Disney over where he is...this whole thing makes me terribly sad...
The Buzzy case is still being actively investigated so it will have a separate report. Since this case is mainly about the HM stolen items, they had no need to mention the evidence for that case outside of using it for context on why they were investigating him at all. Also, I wouldn't hold out hope on hearing anything from Disney. Even after seeing those leaked Stitch's Great Escape photos, they still haven't admitted the ride isn't coming back.

The report shows they have evidence to arrest him for the Buzzy clothes too (the picture of the Buzzy's clothes in his car, the tan backpack used in the crime at his house ect.) But for some reason, they haven't right?

I'm guessing they used this case so they can arrest him while they find solid evidence that he stole the animatronic as well as work on the other cases they mentioned. The evidence for that in the investigation we've been shown is that it says he received over $29,451.70 from two people. We know $8,890.21 came from one person and were for 18 items (which according to the report, only one was actually relevant to this case and the rest, which all belonged to WDW, "will be assigned to separate case numbers depending on the incident".
However, $20,000+ received was from just one person. Sounds a bit high just for clothes.

embracejg

I read this as they learned of the theft in November, not six months later. It even says he was questioned about the theft in November.

"Detective Jessee Hinson and I spoke to Spikes in late November to determine if he had any information on the location of the stolen items. We had also recently learned that the entire Buzzy animatronic was later stolen from the attraction, separately from the clothing. Spikes denied any firsthand knowledge of the thefts, but provided vague information of people we could look into, but would not provide last names or specifics. Spikes stated he would contact us if he heard anything."
I was referring to them including that information in a report six months after they first contacted Spikes. If this was something dated FROM six months ago, yeah, there’s be more reason to be skeptical.

I’m defending that quote against being framed as police just repeating a rumor they heard. It says they LEARNED the full AA was stolen. Seems much more definitive than Dave Ensign quoting unnamed sources secondhand.

embracejg

Likely because it is still under investigation. Likely once the whole thing closes more information will be released (Thanks sunshine State laws!).

It is entirely possible, as always, that we won't ever hear the whole story. But they're probably keeping info under wraps until it's no longer sensitive.
That’s exactly right.

I’m sure media outlets have asked to get their hands on any case file regarding an animatronic theft for months. OCSO obviously doesn’t have to release files about an active investigation.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I was referring to them including that information in a report six months after they first contacted Spikes. If this was something dated FROM six months ago, yeah, there’s be more reason to be skeptical.

I’m defending that quote against being framed as police just repeating a rumor they heard. It says they LEARNED the full AA was stolen. Seems much more definitive than Dave Ensign quoting unnamed sources secondhand.
There is always the possibility that at the time Disney thought it had been stolen, but then determined that it had only been an "un-authorized removal" as some here have reported.

MotherOfBirds

There is always the possibility that at the time Disney thought it had been stolen, but then determined that it had only been an "un-authorized removal" as some here have reported.
I find it difficult to believe that Disney personnel, officially authorized or no, would remove an animatronic by hacking away at the hydraulic lines like a serial killer with a machete rather than simply disconnect it the way it was supposed to be. And yes, I've seen photos of the lines post-removal.

To paraphrase Jenny Nicholson, "If I was going to throw out a microwave, I wouldn't cut the power cord with a pair of scissors. I would just unplug it because it's both easier and safer."

embracejg

Then wouldn’t the police have been informed of that mistake in the past six months, meaning they wouldn’t have characterized it as stolen in this report?

Again, I’m going to trust what’s in a police report more than what anyone said on here, no matter what their track record is.

dgp602

If this has been mentioned before, then disregard. But wouldn't Buzzy weigh hundreds of pounds? How does one kid cut, dismantle and carry this out of the property by himself and without ANYONE noticing?

flynnibus

Because you guys are crossing and mixing things. You didn’t see a police report for the HM clothing either... you’ve seen it referenced in an affidavit used to request the arrest warrant.

There doesn’t have to be a police report of things missing before the police can investigate things that appear to be stolen. They found stuff on his phone that was obviously Disney things... so they went to Disney to follow up and Disney finds them missing.

The police are specifically keeping these charges limited to specifici activities... but are referencing over investigations to paint the picture of how they got to the evidence they are using to support these charges.

They noted nearly 30k in PayPal activity... you can bet they are continuing to pursue what other things he was dealing in.

Smiley/OCD

There's something to be said for "sticking it" to your employer that fired you by posting the stuff they don't want to people to see online. While still childish, it's not illegal and you can understand why someone would do it. It also is an interesting case because Disney has been lucky thus far that there hasn't been more widespread instances of former cast members doing that.

But to actually steal something, nearly get thrown in jail because of it, and then go back and steal again? That's another level of stupididy entirely.
The number one rule in retail management and LP when it comes to internal/external theft is that you NEVER get caught the first time...and every time you commit said crime you let your guard down just a tad until you get caught. I just don't understand why Disney just doesn't build a giant warehouse on property and guard it like Fort Knox. Alarms, armed security, motion detectors, etc. all in one building and just store everything in one central location. It's a lot easier keeping tabs at one location than multiple...and cheaper

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
I read this as they learned of the theft in November, not six months later. It even says he was questioned about the theft in November.

"Detective Jessee Hinson and I spoke to Spikes in late November to determine if he had any information on the location of the stolen items. We had also recently learned that the entire Buzzy animatronic was later stolen from the attraction, separately from the clothing. Spikes denied any firsthand knowledge of the thefts, but provided vague information of people we could look into, but would not provide last names or specifics. Spikes stated he would contact us if he heard anything."
Thank-you. At least you understand the pluperfect tense.
The pluperfect (or plusquamperfect) is a type of verb form, generally treated as one of the tenses in certain languages, used to refer to an action at a time earlier than a time in the past already referred to. Examples in English are: "we had arrived"; "they had written".​

The narrative is what took place in the past, in November, during the time Spikes was interrogated. That is the time when they "had recently learned"(incorrectly) that Buzzy was stolen.

Again, they "learned" it. Not "discovered." Not "reported by Disney." This is what was being reported by the urbexers when they showed Buzzy "missing" in their photos.

Dead2009

Patrick's person Twitter and BDD account aren't loading nor can you DM him. haha. Maybe his parent's really did take away his keyboard!
The account doesn't exist as of this post at the moment. Possible people either reported him, or he deleted them himself.

DreamfinderGuy

He's gone. Both his personal and main are deactivated. He'll be back most likely. Dunno when or how, but maybe it's for the best that he stays gone with current events in mind

MickeyMinnieMom

He's gone. Both his personal and main are deactivated. He'll be back most likely. Dunno when or how, but maybe it's for the best that he stays gone with current events in mind
If he was smart, he would have stayed gone after deleting his account last time he was arrested. Oh, and he never would have stolen, bragged about his backstage shenanigans, taunted Disney daily, etc., etc.

Top Bottom