Male Cast Member Costumes

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Being an oldie I've seen a lot in my time and there does seem to be an increase in promenading at the parks. By promenading I mean dressing to be looked at. That's not the reason to go to Disney parks and it's just good old fashioned attention seeking whether it's pyjamas or skimpy clothing or whatever, your sole purpose for dressing like that is to get attention and don't deny it. Kids in costumes is cute, adults? Not so much.

And being an oldie means that you understand that most of these attempts at garnering external validation are based on factors that are fleetingly transient. Today's slogan t-shirt, tattoo, unnatural hair color or style, or exposure of body parts is tomorrow's cringe-worthy historical relic.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
And being an oldie means that you understand that most of these attempts at garnering external validation are based on factors that are fleetingly transient. Today's slogan t-shirt, tattoo, unnatural hair color or style, or exposure of body parts is tomorrow's cringe-worthy historical relic.

David Spade Boomer GIF by CTV Comedy Channel

I happen to still LOVE my butterfly lower back tattoo.

surfsupdon

There were two males wearing their female costumes at the ice cream shop on Main Street. They had full beards that were unkempt and were visibly sweating a lot as they prepared ice creams. We got out of line because we could see the sweat beading off and dripping. It was not a good look, sanitary wise.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
There were two males wearing their female costumes at the ice cream shop on Main Street. They had full beards that were unkempt and were visibly sweating a lot as they prepared ice creams. We got out of line because we could see the sweat beading off and dripping. It was not a good look, sanitary wise.
But would you have stayed in line if they were in male costume ?

King Capybara 77

Premium Member
No. It was very unappealing all together. I can guarantee those beards were against guidelines, the two CMs were just very unkempt and sweating literally over top of food.
Why mention the fact they were in female costume ?
The issue you had ( and I 100% agree with your decision to step out for that reason) was that they were sweating over the ice-cream.

Riviera Rita

No. It was very unappealing all together. I can guarantee those beards were against guidelines, the two CMs were just very unkempt and sweating literally over top of food.
Costco make their food court employees with a beard wear beard nets. Perhaps Disney should do the same.
In 2019 I went to the ticket desk and the young lady had some serious personal hygiene issues, she was a very sweet young lady, but, even with the screen I was overwhelmed by the odour and I felt sorry for her colleagues alongside her. It wasn't that she hadn't showered that morning, it was more than that. I think her supervisor should have had a quiet word with her, but, these days you aren't allowed to criticise or give advice to people for fear of being accused of being a bully.

Riviera Rita

They're probably the type of person who clutches pearls when they see someone board an 8 hours flight in sweat pants instead of a suit and tie 😂 😩
I am 100% for comfort when flying. Wear sweatpants if they make you comfortable, but, make sure that when you reach up to the overhead locker or bend down for something in that enclosed space that the poor person sat by you when do this don't get an unwanted eyeful of hairy belly button and what's below or a faceful of butt crack.

Vegas Disney Fan

I’m so glad I was a teen/young adult when I was, once I took out my earring and my purple hair was long enough to cut off my symbols of “expressing myself” were largely behind me. Kids today who are covering themselves in tattoos will never have that luxury of just undoing it overnight, to be honest I’d rather kids wear a dress to express themselves than do something permanent like get a tattoo or body alteration that can’t be undone without expensive and painful procedures, at least the dress can be easily exchanged for pants if they get into their 20s and learn it was just part of a phase.

I’m guessing a lot of us look back at pictures from our teenage years and shake our heads at our ”design” choices, I’m just thankful they weren’t permanent.

King Capybara 77

Premium Member
Because I am detail oriented, it fit the story, and it related to a prior comment on this discussion board. I did not say anything negative.
It didn't fit your recounting of events.
You left the line because they were sweating all over the product ( gross )
You added in their attire to make it fit the thread. Not saying that you were lying about what they were wearing , just that your experience had no relevance to this discussion without it.

Squidney

Sure but i’m also not obligated to care

Somewhere… some people still care about the impression and image they project. But feel free to roll into the shop and your pjs and feel proud.

Apparently you're obligated to care about whether or not someone is "rolling into the shop in their PJs", though.

LittleBuford

I’m not sure how any of this is different from what past generations have done. People have always used clothing to convey things about themselves, sometimes in ways that look very odd to subsequent generations. What the kids today are doing is, to my eyes at least, no more ostentatious (and indeed considerably less so) than the powdered wigs, makeup, and high heels that were de rigueur back in the eighteenth century.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Note your tense- acknowledging it is something newer and evolving.

And therefore common sense says you need to understand that not everyone immediately has that same interpretation and not necessarily the same buy-in. The status quo does not change instantly and universally.

This phenomenon is not limited to gender identity and dress code. Why do you think it is going to be magically different here?

Be it males wearing earrings… or whatever other cultural change people want to review to see how it was perceived and evolved. This doesn’t happen overnight to flash change everyone’s minds nor eradicate the past simply because someone demands freedom of choice.

You get freedom of choice - but you don’t get immunity from everything before or variations around you.
The folks who have been around longer should have the sense to realize these things come and go - or come and stay, or what have you. It's no big deal.

Kilts were not always the norm for years. They had to start at some point.

But I think the issue is kilts are not associated with femininity; dresses are. That's why it bothers people.

Not very long ago, it wasn't the norm for women to wear pants. Now it is. I'm sure there are some holdouts who have a problem with that.

I don't think you're going to see a majority of men wearing dresses, just like you don't see a majority of men wearing nose rings (in the US.)

Either way, so what? As long as they can do their job and still look professional (i.e. not a torn dress) it's a non-issue other than some folks' opinions - which as you mentioned, no one is required to care about.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I’m not sure how any of this is different from what past generations have done. People have always used clothing to convey things about themselves, sometimes in ways that look very odd to subsequent generations. What the kids today are doing is, to my eyes at least, no more ostentatious (and indeed considerably less so) than the powdered wigs, makeup, and high heels that were de rigueur back in the eighteenth century.

IMHO its the lack of perspective that's so annoying. Fashion is cyclic and an entire industry is behind in ensuring that it's changing so that they have "new" products in the market and they are perceived as "desirable" no matter how little utility or undifferentiated they are besides a logo. It sadly devolves into groups of let's be unique together.

shipley731

I wonder how some of these guests will handle the fact that the majority of CM's portraying Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck are female.

Or that the majority of CM's portraying the Queen of Hearts and Miss Piggy are male.

Animated GIF
I had some sorority sisters when I was an undergrad at UF that worked at WDW as characters. Two of them were my height - around 5ft.; 1 was a “friend of Mickey Mouse” &!another one we’re “friends of Chip & Dale”. Another sister was around 5’9”- 5’10”; I think she was a “friend of Goofy”. Could have been Pluto. I was in college 1989-1993; my memory isn’t what it used to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom