Making Memories with Magic Friends

PotteryGal

I think it is so important with all of the drinking/drug issues going on that incoming freshmen have at least a few straight-and-narrow role models to look up to/go to with problems.
My school is having MAJOR problems with drinking (and drugs, to an extent, but not anywhere near as bad as drinking.) Supposedly there was a major meeting after school today with the admin and the teachers to sort things out.

I think I should take AP Eng because I basically want to major in English in college. :lol:
(Well, English/Secondary Education, so really a double major. :lol:)

Absolutely Freddy...keep your head on straight! Things weren't great when I was in school, but I think it has really deteriorated over the past 20 (gulp!) years with substance abuse. I learned more about drinking and drugs during my peer training than I will ever want to know....I can't imagine surrendering my will to some type of drug, not knowing what kind of effect it might have on me. :shrug: I hope your school can get an effective no-tolerance policy that they actually enforce. Is the community supportive of something like that, or can't they be bothered?

Fantasmic!329

Absolutely Freddy...keep your head on straight! Things weren't great when I was in school, but I think it has really deteriorated over the past 20 (gulp!) years with substance abuse. I learned more about drinking and drugs during my peer training than I will ever want to know....I can't imagine surrendering my will to some type of drug, not knowing what kind of effect it might have on me. :shrug: I hope your school can get an effective no-tolerance policy that they actually enforce. Is the community supportive of something like that, or can't they be bothered?
Things have gone from bad to worse lately.
It really is a very sad situation.
The policy currently in place (used when a pupil shows up for a school event under the influence) is that they are out-of-school suspended for two days.
Well, IMHO, that's a crock of Winnie the Pooh.
That is only an invitation for the individual to sleep in for two days.

I think the community would be supportive IF the parents weren't okay with what their kids are doing.
Which apparently they're fine with it. :shrug:
Call my parents old-fashioned, but if I EVER came home under the influence of ANYTHING, I would probably never see the light of day again.
(Disclaimer: Not that I have any desire to be under the influence, just saying that's what would happen to me. :lol:)

PotteryGal

Things have gone from bad to worse lately.
It really is a very sad situation.
The policy currently in place (used when a pupil shows up for a school event under the influence) is that they are out-of-school suspended for two days.
Well, IMHO, that's a crock of Winnie the Pooh.
That is only an invitation for the individual to sleep in for two days.

I think the community would be supportive IF the parents weren't okay with what their kids are doing.
Which apparently they're fine with it. :shrug:
Call my parents old-fashioned, but if I EVER came home under the influence of ANYTHING, I would probably never see the light of day again.
(Disclaimer: Not that I have any desire to be under the influence, just saying that's what would happen to me. :lol:)

I can't even imagine showing up at school drunk - holy cow! :eek: And I'm with your parents, Freddy, on that one....I'd make sure the hangover the next day would be the most painful thing ever experienced. :lol: What is wrong with those parents? Have that many of them lost any control in their home - how scary!!
I think instead of a two day out-of-school suspension, an in-school suspension first time...if it happens again, notify authorities and drag their butts before a judge...if they're dumb enough to do it one more time, kick them out. JMO.

Fantasmic!329

I can't even imagine showing up at school drunk - holy cow! :eek: And I'm with your parents, Freddy, on that one....I'd make sure the hangover the next day would be the most painful thing ever experienced. :lol: What is wrong with those parents? Have that many of them lost any control in their home - how scary!!
I think instead of a two day out-of-school suspension, an in-school suspension first time...if it happens again, notify authorities and drag their butts before a judge...if they're dumb enough to do it one more time, kick them out. JMO.
Oh yeah...they show up to school drunk, to play practice drunk, to talent show practice drunk, etc. The dances have more drunks than sobers.
One of the big problems is that we are allowed to leave the building for lunch. Some kids decide to go either drink and/or smoke in their (or their friend's) cars.
I leave the building, get lunch, eat it, and go back to school. :lol:

I totally agree with you - in-school suspension is the way to go. None of the out-of-school stuff.
I even mentioned the addition of in-school suspensions as part of our policy during my interview to be a peer leader. :lol:

PotteryGal

Oh yeah...they show up to school drunk, to play practice drunk, to talent show practice drunk, etc. The dances have more drunks than sobers.
One of the big problems is that we are allowed to leave the building for lunch. Some kids decide to go either drink and/or smoke in their (or their friend's) cars.
I leave the building, get lunch, eat it, and go back to school. :lol:

I totally agree with you - in-school suspension is the way to go. None of the out-of-school stuff.
I even mentioned the addition of in-school suspensions as part of our policy during my interview to be a peer leader. :lol:

That is extremely sad...already addicted, and not even starting their own lives. :( Well, you hang in there...stick to your convictions!

I need to get going, supper's about ready...have a good evening everyone! :wave:

Fantasmic!329

That is extremely sad...already addicted, and not even starting their own lives. :( Well, you hang in there...stick to your convictions!

I need to get going, supper's about ready...have a good evening everyone! :wave:
I know.
It breaks my heart every time I see one of my friends throwing their lives away.
And they don't want to hear what I think of it. :(

Have a good one, Jenny!

joanna71985

Our first Pirate and Princess Party is next Monday. I have a couple of questions for anyone who has been before. Some reviewers have said that you do get a bag and some say not. Anyone have anything to add? What kind of treasure are the kids getting. Is it nice stuff or just a bunch of junk? Is there still candy involved? I also heard that the strollers were complimentary for the party. After the recent ridiculous price increase, I was not betting on complimentary strollers. I appreciate anyone who can answer these questions and offer any advice on having fun at the party with any other comments. Thanks!:sohappy:

P&P is awsome!! I have been to 3, and most likely will be going on Wed.

1) Yes, you do receive a bag. It is a little black bag, with a drawstring. It's really cute. The treasure is beads and little jewels. No unfortunately to the candy, it is no longer given out.

2) I am not sure about the strollers, as I have never needed one.

Have fun! The party is a blast. The parade is great, the fireworks is amazing, and the ride lines are very short.

joanna71985

I'd rather fly. :lol:
All though I guess I'd like to have a car down there...
So, either way it's a tough choice. :lol:

Not me. I hate flying.:dazzle: I prefer being close to the ground.

The thing is, even if I drove I wouldn't have a car. I don't have a car to take with me, so I would be using the buses down there either way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom