News Major Hurricane Dorian impacts to Walt Disney World 2019

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Question for you guys, because I am usually overly optimistic and need a reality check sometimes. If everything stays as is with the track. would you attempt to go down to Orlando (driving from Atlanta), if you you trip starts Friday - Sunday in Uni and one day in WDW and leaving Tuesday? technically it would look like Monday is a washout but the other days may be salvageable?

Oh, and take 85, not 75.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It will be too crowded so no one will show up. LOL. Yes, the park will be at or near capacity most of the weekend.
based on what? You can get a room at pretty much all wdw hotels...FYI (the google is a great thing)

It appears it may take a Jedi to avoid a direct impact to central Florida this weekend...good thing it’s a “weaker storm by comparison.

PK2

Question from someone who's never had to deal with a hurricane before...

Flying in from the UK on Sunday 1st September and due to land at 1535, I'm assuming that flight is likely to be disrupted based on the current forecast. So if given the option to fly in the day before on the Saturday arriving the same time I believe this is less likely to be affected?

Hey! I'm from the UK too, booked to fly over to join my family in WDW on Friday (which really complicates things, they left before we have a clear image of how the storm might be, not so for me as I'll probably have a good idea...). How is your pre-trip thinking going?
Your flight might not be disrupted but looking at current forecasts, and with the storm forecasts scaling up, you should be prepared for it to be.

JohnD

11am update has this as a category 3 hurricane

Becomes a Cat 3 then back to a Cat 2 before it hits the coast. But these forecasts are changing with each NWS update.

https://www.news4jax.com/weather/hurricane/tropical-storm-dorian-shifts-east

view

deeevo

Does anyone know by what criteria I-75 goes contraflow for evacuation? And how frequently?

Not sure that happened during Irma so I wouldn't expect it to happen this time around. I think for the west coast we really won't need to evacuate since the storm surge won't be to bad since Dorian is coming from the east. Like they say " Hide from wind run from water" and " Don't run out of beer"

habuma

FWIW, we were in WDW during Irma. The day before Irma hit, everyone else had apparently abandoned FL, because we hit all four parks and rode most of the headliner attractions with almost no wait. I have a photo of TSMM (remember, this was before Toy Story Land had opened) with a 5 minute standby wait on the sign. The Citizens of Hollywood in DHS were doing some awesome pre-hurricane preparation shows, although the wind made it hard to hear them well.

Irma came through overnight and we were forced to stay in the hotel much of the next day. We were at Wilderness Lodge, so it wasn't that bad. The Country Bears and Brer Bear were entertaining guests in the lobby. The menu at Whispering Canyon was reduced in options, but they also reduced the prices. And, I have video of Big Al and Shaker bringing ketchup to our table!

When they opened the parks on 9/12, they honored our MNSSHP tickets that we couldn't use on the night before Irma. The crowds were again really low and it was easy to get a lot done, although we only went to MK that day.

My kids said we should plan all of our WDW trips during a hurricane. And I gotta say, it was one of the most fun trips we've had.

Last edited:

durangojim

So, for us Northerners who don't have to deal with these hurricanes, if it's due to make landfall Monday morning, what is the weather on Sunday likely to be like, and will it affect flights in/out of MCO?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
So, for us Northerners who don't have to deal with these hurricanes, if it's due to make landfall Monday morning, what is the weather on Sunday likely to be like, and will it affect flights in/out of MCO?

As it stands, tropical force winds are expected on Saturday. So very likely that there will be disruption on Sunday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom