News Major Hurricane Dorian impacts to Walt Disney World 2019

LukeS7

I'm watching this nervously/optimistically and hoping it turns back out to sea/more North. We're supposed to fly out of MCO at 5:00pm on Monday so currently expecting a delay/cancellation though.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'm watching this nervously/optimistically and hoping it turns back out to sea/more North. We're supposed to fly out of MCO at 5:00pm on Monday so currently expecting a delay/cancellation though.

I'd make plans to stay another day. You won't want to be trying to get to the airport while the storm passes through Central Florida.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
These are the days that are so brutal when you are such a planner like I am (and I am sure many on these fine boards) Months of planning then Dorian is born and doesn't want to let us know where he is going. I haven't seen my Nephew in months and this was going to be his B-day present, a day at Uni and the 9/2/19 Halloween Party with his Uncle and Aunt :cry:

LukeS7

I'd make plans to stay another day. You won't want to be trying to get to the airport while the storm passes through Central Florida.
I'm gonna keep an eye on the tracking and make a final decision on Saturday most likely. We won't even be at our Universal hotel (we're doing Galaxy's Edge opening and then 3.5 days at Uni) until Friday.

LAKid53

Premium Member
These are the days that are so brutal when you are such a planner like I am (and I am sure many on these fine boards) Months of planning then Dorian is born and doesn't want to let us know where he is going. I haven't seen my Nephew in months and this was going to be his B-day present, a day at Uni and the 9/2/19 Halloween Party with his Uncle and Aunt :cry:

For us, it's ANOTHER Labor Day hurricane. I'm getting darn tired of tropical cyclones ruining my holiday.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I'm gonna keep an eye on the tracking and make a final decision on Saturday most likely. We won't even be at our Universal hotel (we're doing Galaxy's Edge opening and then 3.5 days at Uni) until Friday.

Smart plan. It would be preferable to be stuck in a hotel room than at MCO.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
For us, it's ANOTHER Labor Day hurricane. I'm getting darn tired of tropical cyclones ruining my holiday.
I hear ya, I used to live in South Florida. In 2017, Irma forced us to cancel our Disney trip, so we ended up flying to Cali instead. That actually turned out to be a great trip. Maybe going forward you guys can go somewhere on the west coast for labor day :p

JohnD

In your case, be grateful for a more northward track. You'll still get lots of wind and rain but won't be in the worst part of it -- the northwest quadrant.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I hear ya, I used to live in South Florida. In 2017, Irma forced us to cancel our Disney trip, so we ended up flying to Cali instead. That actually turned out to be a great trip. Maybe going forward you guys can go somewhere on the west coast for labor day :p

We were actually talking about renting a house and going to St. George Island.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Question for you guys, because I am usually overly optimistic and need a reality check sometimes. If everything stays as is with the track. would you attempt to go down to Orlando (driving from Atlanta), if you you trip starts Friday - Sunday in Uni and one day in WDW and leaving Tuesday? technically it would look like Monday is a washout but the other days may be salvageable?

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
Question for you guys, because I am usually overly optimistic and need a reality check sometimes. If everything stays as is with the track. would you attempt to go down to Orlando, if you you trip starts Friday - Sunday in Uni and one day in WDW and leaving Tuesday? technically it would look like Monday is a washout but the other days may be salvageable?

That's what I would plan. Just be prepared for Sunday (if the projections hold for a Monday AM landfall) to be a short day at whichever park you're visiting. Monday would be a "stay in your hotel room" day. And hope that roads are cleared for a departure on Tuesday.

Irma brushed Central Florida on its way up the west coast. That area of Florida hasn't had a storm since the 2004, 2005 seasons.

JohnD

Question for you guys, because I am usually overly optimistic and need a reality check sometimes. If everything stays as is with the track. would you attempt to go down to Orlando, if you you trip starts Friday - Sunday in Uni and one day in WDW and leaving Tuesday? technically it would look like Monday is a washout but the other days may be salvageable?

Well, it's forecast to have a more northward track at this point. The sooner you go down, the less inclement weather you have to drive through. But this thing will have large rain bands sweeping around it extending out hundreds of miles. So you would start seeing declining weather before Monday. You'll be safe at your resort, whether Uni or WDW. How much you can do in the parks is another story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom