News Major Hurricane Dorian impacts to Walt Disney World 2019

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
We are heading down tomorrow as we planned and will make the best of it! There are worse things than an extra day or 2 in Walt Disney World

This won't be an Irma. I'd be prepared to camp out in your room for a day or two. Does Disney have generators to operate the resorts? You may be without power from late Sunday through Tuesday or Wednesday.

ThatMouse

You have to prepare for anything, but it's just as likely nothing will close and all you'll see is wind gusts and thunderstorms. Worst case is a tornado spawns but no one is going to be out driving in this anyway. Don't park under a tree and plan on getting your meals in if it looks like the restaurants may close. The biggest issue with hurricanes is storm surge and Disney is too far inland for that. All the structures are hurricane proof. If you are in the campgrounds they will move you.

LAKid53

Premium Member
You have to prepare for anything, but it's just as likely nothing will close and all you'll see is wind gusts and thunderstorms. Worst case is a tornado spawns but no one is going to be out driving in this anyway. Don't park under a tree and plan on getting your meals in if it looks like the restaurants may close. The biggest issue with hurricanes is storm surge and Disney is too far inland for that. All the structures are hurricane proof. If you are in the campgrounds they will move you.

A Cat 3 storm passing through the area is going to be more than "wind gusts and thunderstorms"....

ryguy

The other big question will be does it continue inland or move up the coast. Still too early too determine all this. But now is a good time to start thinking about your strategy.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I would suspect once a Hurricane Warning is in place coupled with a state of emergency that operations will be curtailed. Hurricane warnings mean that in 24 hours hurricane conditions will occur in the area. I really doubt that they would have people in the parks or up and about WDW during the warning period.

The biggest problem is that guests on vacation seem to think they are invulnerable to bad things and reality, and toss common sense out the window.

That's my concern. This isn't going to be Matthew or Irma. This is a potential Cat 3 storm crossing Florida in the Central Florida area. While the resorts at Disney are safe structures to shelter in, you'll have flooding, wind blown debris and power outages to contend with.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Original Poster
Probably the most important thing is if you're riding the storm out at WDW, don't berate the CMs because you can't get a dole whip, miss a FP, or a dining reservation. These CM not only have to worry about their own safety, family, and property; but they also have to keep a happy face on for the guests that they are now responsible for.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Original Poster
Check out Mike's Weather Page for all your hurricane tracking needs. He is a local guy (Tampa area).

https://spaghettimodels.com/
His logo is great.
61534293_10157025896772367_4481566191738945536_n.png

LAKid53

Premium Member
Probably the most important thing is if you're riding the storm out at WDW, don't berate the CMs because you can't get a dole whip, miss a FP, or a dining reservation. These CM not only have to worry about their own safety, family, and property; but they also have to keep a happy face on for the guests that they are now responsible for.

^^^THIS, a thousand times. If you're going to be at WDW and decide to ride out the storm, get prepared. Get to a store nearby for water, snacks, batteries, etc.

Take it from someone who's been through 3 straight years of a hurricane. I'm keeping my fingers crossed once the storm hits land, it swings to the NE - sorry @Master Yoda and @The Mom...we've had enough here in the Panhandle.

esskay

Hey! I'm from the UK too, booked to fly over to join my family in WDW on Friday (which really complicates things, they left before we have a clear image of how the storm might be, not so for me as I'll probably have a good idea...). How is your pre-trip thinking going?
Your flight might not be disrupted but looking at current forecasts, and with the storm forecasts scaling up, you should be prepared for it to be.
Flying in Saturday afternoon (early morning Gatwick flight Saturday morning). I'm not worried. If you're on site Disney are generally pretty good. Was there for Katrina and Frances and they were great about it. Our flights were delayed by a few days and they extended our stay and tickets, kept us informed of what was happening with the airline, etc.

Flying in it'll be very little disruption.If it hits directly I'd imagine another 1 day closure of the parks. Only time I'd worry is if you were flying in late Sunday or Monday, in which case call your airline.

esskay

Disney does have “ride out” staff who man the resorts through the storm impact and announcements are made via the phone system to each room. No one is allowed outside, even after the storm, until they can determine that everything is safe.

Probably stating the obvious but if anyones in a resort this weekend be extra nice to the cast members. I know when we were at AKL for Francis back in 04 they were amazing, all kept their cool, helped everyone out and ensured everyone was safe.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Heading down tomorrow from the UK for two weeks - am I to be looking at a threat to safety or is this just a miss a few park days kind of thing??? Don’t know whether to be concerned or not

Be prepared. Order water and snacks to be delivered to your resort. Stay indoors when ordered to do so. Make sure to have batteries and a flashlight. Your room may not be serviced for a day or two.

esskay

Be prepared. Order water and snacks to be delivered to your resort. Stay indoors when ordered to do so. Make sure to have batteries and a flashlight. Your room may not be serviced for a day or two.
Thats a good idea....I've never done that before, I assume you can get an Amazon delivery sent, and just select the delivery date to be the day you arrive right? I assume the resort also charges a handling or storagr fee of some sort?

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thats a good idea....I've never done that before, I assume you can get an Amazon delivery sent, and just select the delivery date to be the day you arrive right? I assume the resort also charges a handling or storage fee of some sort?

Yes, you can. I did that when I visited DLR in 2015. There may be a small fee, but your peace of mind is worth it.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I might have to bail on this trip, even though i'd arrive Friday ahead of it, I was going to leave Tuesday AM which might be tough.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom