News Major Hurricane Dorian impacts to Walt Disney World 2019

skyphotographer

We are heading down on Friday and leaving on Wednesday. I am sure the parks will close a day or two, but what are the odds our flight home is affected on Wednesday? We are from the midwest so not really familiar with Hurricane patterns and how long they tend to stay around?

The weather should clear out by Wednesday.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I wouldn't chance it -- Gov Scott will likely call for an evacuation of the entire East Coast of the state. I-95 will be a parking lot.

I imagine Governor de Santis will call for evacuations starting Sunday. And I-95 will be either all lanes heading north or all lanes heading south, depending on projected landfall and path.

The Mom

Premium Member
I wouldn't chance it -- Gov Scott will likely call for an evacuation of the entire East Coast of the state. I-95 will be a parking lot.

More likely along the east coast east of the intracoastal waterway, and areas prone to flooding. Which many people in JAX discovered the hard way during Irma & Matthew. If you live in a subdivision with "marsh" in the name, you should leave.

We have reality check poles around town that show the water level predicted for different storm intensity. I noticed some new apartments/condos being built slightly downhill from one, so the water level in even a Cat 1 was above your head. :rolleyes:

LAKid53

Premium Member
More likely along the east coast east of the intracoastal waterway, and areas prone to flooding. Which many people in JAX discovered the hard way during Irma & Matthew. If you live in a subdivision with "marsh" in the name, you should leave.

We have reality check poles around town that show the water level predicted for different storm intensity. I noticed some new apartments/condos being built slightly downhill from one, so the water level in even a Cat 1 was above your head. :rolleyes:

We've had a lot of rain in Florida the past few days. Add a Cat 3 storm hitting the east coast and passing over the Intercoastal, yikes!

LAKid53

Premium Member
We're driving in Saturday morning and staying through the following Saturday. If the parks close. Is there anything indoors to entertain the little ones?

I'd pack tablets/games....and batteries, to supplement what Disney will do. They may order guests to remain in their rooms during the height of the storm, rather than wander around an enclosed lobby.

ThatMouse

Guys, nothing is for certain at the moment. It could go way north and not be an issue, so if your plans are flexible enough it's safe to come down. But obviously be prepared for the worst. You will have plenty of time to make your way back to your room to ride out the storm IF it comes to that. Don't park under a tree. Seriously.

durangojim

I know no one knows an good answer right now but based on past experience would moving a 2pm flight out of MCO on Sunday to a 745am flight on Sunday be worth it? Or do we think the roads would be closed early Sunday and we wouldn't be able to make it to the airport anyway?

JohnD

I'd pack tablets/games....and batteries, to supplement what Disney will do. They may order guests to remain in their rooms during the height of the storm, rather than wander around an enclosed lobby.

Yeah. I was about to edit my post and say that at the height of the hurricane, they'll strongly "encourage" guests to remain in their rooms.

JohnD

I know no one knows an good answer right now but based on past experience would moving a 2pm flight out of MCO on Sunday to a 745am flight on Sunday be worth it? Or do we think the roads would be closed early Sunday and we wouldn't be able to make it to the airport anyway?

Maybe this will answer your question:
174436_earliest_reasonable_toa_no_wsp_34.png

tribbleorlfl

Just want to make a few comments.

1) As a life-ling Orlando resident, I tend to rate storm strength based in how long my home is out of power. When Irma came up the state in '17, she was a Low 1/TS by the time she came through Orlando. I was without power for almost 5 days. Dorian is currently projected to be a 3 when it (tentatively) hits around Daytona. There's not going to be much land to break up the storm this time, so it's likely to be a 2/3 when it (likely) hits Orlando.

I will not be surprised if this isn't the strongest storm to hit out area in quite some time, certainly it will be the strongest since Charley (in which I was out of power for over 2 WEEKS and the stucco in my apartment complex was ripped right off the buildings).

2) Now is the time to seriously consider altering your vacation plans. I'm not going to tell you to cancel, but I also don't think weighing a day or two of closed parks against your total vacation length is the right way to go about it, either.

And if you don't already have a vacation planned and are thinking about booking so you can experience a hurricane at WDW (like certain bloggers did in '17), please stay at home.

3) If you're planning on coming anyway but want to stock up on supplies for your room, note I went out on my lunch break to get a few things for dinner and the grocery store was already sold out of many staples. While there's certainly time for them to restock, just note locals seem to be taking this much more seriously than prior storms, so you will be competing for diminishing supplies with people who are already here. Bring it with you or have it delivered, if possible.

4) Stay safe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom