Major Grand Floridian Refurbishment

Tha Realest

This is a great improvement and more in-line with the theme of this Resort Hotel.

English Victorian turn of the 20th century, with a splash of 16th century French, with the dixieland charm of late 19th century Florida.

No seriously if someone can articulate and nail down the actual theme of the GF, I'll buy them a dole whip.
The actual theme of the GF is “Copy pasta of Hotel de Coronado” with “give us your money because we’re really close to the Magic Kingdom”

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
It has very little to do with at least three of those. Also, it's cool to dislike and criticize it without just being blatantly wrong about clearly not-cheap things being cheap.
There is nothing in the renovation that screams lavish and high quality.

The flooring is widely available commercial grade porcelain. The one or two lighting fixtures that were actually changed are standard commercially available fixtures, there was no change to the shell of the space other than new paint and new wallpaper.

So please don't peddle the false information that this wasn't anything but a quick and cheap reskin.

bwr827

Disone

I would say the chandelier is probably more off-theme (temporally) than the wall color, even though I like the chandelier a lot. It would probably be a bit more accurate if they either pushed the green a bit more toward a jewel tone or paired it with a warmer rose in the same value range. The thing I find confusing is how they plan to tie it all together with the deep blues of Enchanted Rose, the teals and blushes of the updated rooms and outbuilding lobbies, and now the bright greens in this store. The lobby will have to do some heavy lifting post-refurb to make sense of it.
Agree! I am curious as to how this works. Also hearing rumors it may be far longer then anticipated to find out.

James Alucobond

There is nothing in the renovation that screams lavish and high quality.

The flooring is widely available commercial grade porcelain. The one or two lighting fixtures that were actually changed are standard commercially available fixtures, there was no change to the shell of the space other than new paint and new wallpaper.

So please don't peddle the false information that this wasn't anything but a quick and cheap reskin.
You can say the effect is cheap. But on investigating similar ginkgo leaf light fixtures, they are no cheaper than similarly sized crystal chandeliers. The tile around the checkout counter is custom with Mickey inlays, though yes, the large-format rectangular tiles in the area with the merchandise are standard. Paint, regardless of color, is not cheaper. I'm not challenging your right to dislike the renovation, say that it was done overly expediently, and criticize adherence (or lack thereof) to theme. I just think your initial statement about cost is flat-out wrong because you felt like being provocative, as is your wont in most threads.

bwr827

English Victorian turn of the 20th century, with a splash of 16th century French, with the dixieland charm of late 19th century Florida.

No seriously if someone can articulate and nail down the actual theme of the GF, I'll buy them a dole whip.
I believe in design jargon it’s known as fancypants.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
You can say the effect is cheap. But on investigating similar ginkgo leaf light fixtures, they are no cheaper than similarly sized crystal chandeliers. The tile around the checkout counter is custom with Mickey inlays, though yes, the large-format rectangular tiles in the area with the merchandise are standard. Paint, regardless of color, is not cheaper. I'm not challenging your right to dislike the renovation, say that it was done overly expediently, and criticize adherence (or lack thereof) to theme. I just think your initial statement about cost is flat-out wrong because you felt like being provocative, as is your wont in most threads.
Custom inlaid porcelain tiles are quite common and relatively easy to order and install. Based on the quantity and apparent materials nothing with regard to that is budget busting. There is nothing in the entirety of the scope of this renovation that conveys opulence and extravagance. Much like other renovations at the GF and elsewhere on property (Boardwalk Carrousel coffee location and Belle Vue Lounge for example) this was done cheaply and on the quick. The proof is not only in the materials selection, but also the overall scope of the renovation work.

James Alucobond

Custom inlaid porcelain tiles are quite common and relatively easy to order and install. Based on the quantity and apparent materials nothing with regard to that is budget busting. There is nothing in the entirety of the scope of this renovation that conveys opulence and extravagance. Much like other renovations at the GF and elsewhere on property (Boardwalk Carrousel coffee location and Belle Vue Lounge for example) this was done cheaply and on the quick. The proof is not only in the materials selection, but also the overall scope of the renovation work.
It is a standard refurbishment. There was no promise of opulent materials beyond what the space originally offered. Please show me a material, fixture, or finish in the immediate predecessor shop that was more expensive than what replaced it. Again, you focus on the overall effect when your initial statement was that they bought all of the cheapest things possible at the local hardware store.

Vegas Disney Fan

This store now adds in a fourth theme: Main Street Confectionary.
My initial reaction was it reminds me of Toy Story Midway Mania at DCA, this kind of makes sense since that also has a Victorian theme but you can tell they added a touch of color to make it more lively. I love that look for a theme park ride, I think it’s a bit much for a high end hotel.

trainplane3

It could be worse. They actually used color so this is a improvement. The hallways around the upper main lobby don't look good post their refurb so maybe they're rethinking the refurb of the lobby itself?

jmuboy

I see they did close in the central window in the back of the shop to add shelving. I’m very curious how this translates to the exterior of the building. And if a “not noticeable “ repair was made to the external walls.

Tha Realest

Its not offensive to me. Looks good, fresh.
so fresh. much fresh.

1720820574108.png

Epcot82Guy

I'll have to see it in person, but the pictures totally lack a design perspective. That's the big problem with most of these. Disney used to carry through design perspective pretty well both within an outlet (i.e. shop) and the resort itself. There was even an overall "Disney World" and "Disneyland" design ascetic. This isn't bad, but it seems very flat. There are some nice finishes and individual touches. But the whole feels more dissonant than the sum of its parts - let alone when you add it into the rest of the GF. Many of these refresh projects just feel very outsourced...

Enchanted Rose is one I TRULY HATE. (It makes no sense for many reasons...) This doesn't seem that bad. It's more missing than "bad" (much like Carousel Cafe). I'll see if I change any feelings when I can see it in person.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom