Major Grand Floridian Refurbishment

James Alucobond

I honestly don’t have much of a problem with the outbuilding lobbies aside from there being a few lucite and mirrored pieces that are eh for the theme. Also, I fear the polished floors will be swapped for a honed look, but I am otherwise okay if they stick with that directionally.

aladdin2007

I honestly don’t have much of a problem with the outbuilding lobbies aside from there being a few lucite and mirrored pieces that are eh for the theme. Also, I fear the polished floors will be swapped for a honed look, but I am otherwise okay if they stick with that directionally.
linoleum flooring would be my concern like so many of the rooms are getting at the other resorts.

James Alucobond

linoleum flooring would be my concern like so many of the rooms are getting at the other resorts.
Uh, are the rooms actually using linoleum? Admittedly, I haven’t been in most of the refurbished rooms yet, but the Contemporary at least to me seemed to be a synthetic but non-linoleum product in the room, and many of the others look like actual tile in photos. I also don’t think there’s a deluxe lobby on property that isn’t tile, stone, carpet, wood, or some mixture, but my memory might be failing me.

aladdin2007

Uh, are the rooms actually using linoleum? Admittedly, I haven’t been in most of the refurbished rooms yet, but the Contemporary at least to me seemed to be a synthetic but non-linoleum product in the room, and many of the others look like actual tile in photos. I also don’t think there’s a deluxe lobby on property that isn’t tile, stone, carpet, wood, or some mixture, but my memory might be failing me.
I was half way kidding sort of, but also kind of not.,,,based on some of the routes they have been taking recently. But yeah something like what you mentioned, and I could see them doing just that. But your right majority of lobbies are a more higher grade material as listed. I dont know what they are doing anymore, one area comes out great another comes out ill fitting and the list goes on, they have to not be using Imagineering for the resorts, clearly too many outside teams (feels like anyway) making choices and no cohesion between them.

James Alucobond

I was half way kidding sort of, but also kind of not.,,,based on some of the routes they have been taking recently. But yeah something like what you mentioned, and I could see them doing just that. But your right majority of lobbies are a more higher grade material as listed.
I don’t think there’s risk of that happening. What could happen is that they use the 12x24 (or similar proportion) one-third offset in a honed finish for all of the negative space, which they seem especially keen on for whatever reason. To be fair, I have no idea what the actual tile pattern trends were during the era of the theme, but polished square-format tiles just feel more correct to my uneducated self. 🤷🏻‍♂️

UNCgolf

I don’t think there’s risk of that happening. What could happen is that they use the 12x24 (or similar proportion) one-third offset in a honed finish for all of the negative space, which they seem especially keen on for whatever reason. To be fair, I have no idea what the actual tile pattern trends were during the era of the theme, but polished square-format tiles just feel more correct to my uneducated self. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think feeling correct is more important than being specifically historically accurate anyways (at least in most cases) -- Disney is generally building an idealized version of historical/real world themes instead of attempting to recreate them 1 to 1.

Last edited:

Bocabear

The feel of the finished product is definitely in my mind, more important than absolute historical accuracy. THe Grand Floridian is based on a California landmark...there was nothing quite like it ever built in Florida. The interiors of the inspiration Hotel Del Coronado are drastically different from the style of the Grand Floridian.
There are millions of choices that would still feel correct within the theme of the property...but these days, I think the emphasis is less on the feel of the Grand Floridian backstory theme and more on the feel of a "nice" Marriott Hotel...not a lavish Marriott... Not a Ritz Carlton or Waldorf Astoria...just a nice Marriott Hotel... For a company that prides itself on it's thematic storytelling and world class theme parks, it is amazing they are currently muddling all the established themes in their beloved resorts. Enchanted Rose indeed.....

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
The feel of the finished product is definitely in my mind, more important than absolute historical accuracy. THe Grand Floridian is based on a California landmark...there was nothing quite like it ever built in Florida. The interiors of the inspiration Hotel Del Coronado are drastically different from the style of the Grand Floridian.
There are millions of choices that would still feel correct within the theme of the property...but these days, I think the emphasis is less on the feel of the Grand Floridian backstory theme and more on the feel of a "nice" Marriott Hotel...not a lavish Marriott... Not a Ritz Carlton or Waldorf Astoria...just a nice Marriott Hotel... For a company that prides itself on it's thematic storytelling and world class theme parks, it is amazing they are currently muddling all the established themes in their beloved resorts. Enchanted Rose indeed.....
Can’t tell if WDI has lost their expertise in place making or the uppers don’t want it. The new shop is nice but like everything lately is missing a trip to an antique market for props to root it in a story or place in time. If they toned the green down a shade and found a period chandelier to hang in the middle it would be fresh but still telling a story. Right now it’s just nice, but nothing remarkable.

Bocabear

Can’t tell if WDI has lost their expertise in place making or the uppers don’t want it. The new shop is nice but like everything lately is missing a trip to an antique market for props to root it in a story or place in time. If they toned the green down a shade and found a period chandelier to hang in the middle it would be fresh but still telling a story. Right now it’s just nice, but nothing remarkable.
And that seems to be it for me...it feels like they are purposely avoiding the story and writing a new one...One that doesn't have any story other than a nice chain hotel... Which of course, id exactly the opposite of what hooked us all as guests, fans and DVC owners... We didn't buy Westgate timeshares for more than just the location...it is also for what used to be the Disney Difference... Theme, Story, Immersion... We could stay at Gaylord Palms or the Swan and Dolphin... But we chose Disney for the magical place it was and the nostalgia... They need to stop killing the nostalgia... No one has warm fuzzy feelings for a Courtyard Express or Hilton Garden Inn....

aladdin2007

This minimalism trend should not be in Disney parks and resorts, they are becoming more and more generic. It saves a buck, saves on updating and cleaning etc...so were given bare bones now with no concrete theme or story, cheap and lazy. TDO loves it. But it needs to change.

Tha Realest

This minimalism trend should not be in Disney parks and resorts, they are becoming more and more generic. It saves a buck, saves on updating and cleaning etc...so were given bare bones now with no concrete theme or story, cheap and lazy. TDO loves it. But it needs to change.
Genslerism.

Thankfully Bouza moved on* - let’s hope D23 shows how much Vaughn was able to stop what had been in place and correct things going forward.

*her departure announcement said she’d be working elsewhere in TWDC to make greater worldwide change. Where did she end up?

lazyboy97o

Genslerism.

Thankfully Bouza moved on* - let’s hope D23 shows how much Vaughn was able to stop what had been in place and correct things going forward.

*her departure announcement said she’d be working elsewhere in TWDC to make greater worldwide change. Where did she end up?
Except this project predates Bouza joining Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom