Major Grand Floridian Refurbishment

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
I'll have to see it in person, but the pictures totally lack a design perspective. That's the big problem with most of these. Disney used to carry through design perspective pretty well both within an outlet (i.e. shop) and the resort itself. There was even an overall "Disney World" and "Disneyland" design ascetic. This isn't bad, but it seems very flat. There are some nice finishes and individual touches. But the whole feels more dissonant than the sum of its parts - let alone when you add it into the rest of the GF. Many of these refresh projects just feel very outsourced...

Enchanted Rose is one I TRULY HATE. (It makes no sense for many reasons...) This doesn't seem that bad. It's more missing than "bad" (much like Carousel Cafe). I'll see if I change any feelings when I can see it in person.
A lot of resort work has been outsourced lately and it shows ver badly, this one not so much, but still feels like it’s lacking weight and depth. What’s the story they’re trying to tell here?

Disstevefan1

lazyboy97o

A lot of resort work has been outsourced lately and it shows ver badly, this one not so much, but still feels like it’s lacking weight and depth. What’s the story they’re trying to tell here?
That’s not really anything new. The Grand Floridian itself is the result of outsourced design work.

The bigger problem is that lack of continuity to a singular idea. It’s a bunch of discrete projects with discrete teams all trying to be their own spotlight without any real organizing idea.

ToTBellHop

That’s not really anything new. The Grand Floridian itself is the result of outsourced design work.

The bigger problem is that lack of continuity to a singular idea. It’s a bunch of discrete projects with discrete teams all trying to be their own spotlight without any real organizing idea.
Wonder if it’s the same clowns who “fixed” Epcot.

Communicora

Premium Member
I like everything else, especially the chandelier and the wallpaper, but the green is just way too vibrant to honor the intended theme and time the resort is meant to invoke.

I have the same complaint with Enchanted Rose.
That makes sense. The design goes with the new rooms, but not the original theme.

JoeCamel

Wonder if it’s the same clowns who “fixed” Epcot.
Sounds like they need a "strategic planning" committee ..... or at least a director of continuity

Last edited:

Epcot82Guy

That's an important distinction. It's not the outsourcing itself. It's the lack of a clear perspective the provider is asked to make reality. It's like a PowerPoint slide that lacks the idea of message of the larger presentation.

Tha Realest

But it’s green paint! That means it’s whimsical because it’s green paint! Now stop thinking about it and buy a $49 T-shirt.
You raise an interesting point. There’s color theory at play here.

Either 1) their research has told them this will help induce sales, or 2) (more likely) they haven’t considered how bad their normal merchandise will look adorned against this horrible backdrop.

Disone

How… cryptic … hmmm. The only resort public area that looks more dated/in worse shape right now that I can think of is the Grand Canyon Concourse. Maybe this will give them time to correct any Marriott inspired designs they had planned though.
I don't mean to be cryptic so much as I really do not know the reason for the rumored massive delay.

For me would take the Grand's lobby over the poly, yacht, beach and boardwalk. Oh and contemp too:). Both lodges beat the Grand though. Easily.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
I don't mean to be cryptic so much as I really do not know the reason for the rumored massive delay.

For me would take the Grand's lobby over the poly, yacht, beach and boardwalk. Oh and contemp too:). Both lodges beat the Grand though. Easily.
Yah I can see that. It’s not terrible it just doesn’t really match the rest of the resort now. What really needs updated is the GF Cafe, it’s showing it’s age. Also makes me wonder the fate of the tea room and the old BBB location and if they will ever return now. So odd they decided to stop now when the resort was almost complete.

Disone

Yah I can see that. It’s not terrible it just doesn’t really match the rest of the resort now. What really needs updated is the GF Cafe, it’s showing it’s age. Also makes me wonder the fate of the tea room and the old BBB location and if they will ever return now. So odd they decided to stop now when the resort was almost complete.
It's all funding and timing. I have heard rumors that the Grand Floridian Cafe is getting a makeover. I do not know the timing on that at all. And I've heard plenty of rumors about Bibbidi-Bobbidi boutique and garden tea room but problem is I've heard way too many. As soon as you hear one saying it's a go then you hear another one saying it's not a go. So I have no idea what's going on with those too.

jmuboy

I actually REALLY like the new M Mouse. The other one was not bad. And also was not really “grand”. This iteration has done color at least.

The Cafe needs a refresh. And with 1900 and Basin / M Mouse completed maybe the cafe will be next.

Id love to see the tea room return with Mary Poppins and Alice

I still DO NOT want a lobby refresh. Just repaint same ( ish) colors and refinish / reupholster the same furniture .

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I still DO NOT want a lobby refresh. Just repaint same ( ish) colors and refinish / reupholster the same furniture .
Why not? It seems like the perfect place to put a Tianna's Teatime Adventure experience and for good measure add Elsa to the A/C registers that blow cold air, and throw in Star Lord and Jack Sparrow stuff because why not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom