Major executive level shakeup coming?

bluetiedye

There has been a definite uptick on posters with actual or seeming insider knowledge claiming these changes will be good for the parks and not just cuts to save some money. I hope they’re right. But yes I also hope there are some official announcements soon that clarify what they mean.

larandtra

Many of the changes have happened "unofficially" but there are signs as to what or who the major change is being instigated by and will be. One vision. One voice. Not just cut waste, but, return to the basic fundamentals of the company and balance that with the need to be responsible from a business perspective. This wont be a sprint. It will be a marathon and people expecting "universal" like movement will be impatient and unhappy. But, I would rather have this happen the right way than to be rushed and half done. It takes time to undo all of the bad policies and bad management the company has had over the past decade. I dont have a clue when things will be handled in more of a "formal" or public manner, but, for the time being there are things already in motion and the layoffs and some reorganization have started the ball rolling. I dont know exactly what others know. I think it is good that many people who find out things from different people all have the same basic belief/opinion of what is happening and for once it is positive.

pax_65

I don't think it'll be too long before people realize, "Why am I paying $100/head cover to get into what is effectively a large, outdoor bar? Also, it's stale."

I love F&W. But my eyes were opened recently when I chose not to attend a food & craft beer festival because I felt the cover charge was too high (it was like $20). I realized that I'm paying $100ish to get into Epcot - and the craft beer selection isn't even that great, and the cost of the beer (and food) is really high once you get inside.

If the day ever comes that I see the value in an annual pass again, I would take a long weekend for F&W as an "extra" trip since I already have the pass. But I wouldn't buy a pass to do F&W ever again. :(

mikejs78

Premium Member
I love F&W. But my eyes were opened recently when I chose not to attend a food & craft beer festival because I felt the cover charge was too high (it was like $20). I realized that I'm paying $100ish to get into Epcot - and the craft beer selection isn't even that great, and the cost of the beer (and food) is really high once you get inside.

If the day ever comes that I see the value in an annual pass again, I would take a long weekend for F&W as an "extra" trip since I already have the pass. But I wouldn't buy a pass to do F&W ever again. :(

If F&W was all the park had to offer, you'd be right. But to me there's so much about Epcot I love. F&W just adds to the experience to me, so I don't see it as a $200 cover charge.

EricsBiscuit

I'm starting to connect the threads:

Bob Iger will resign when his contract is up or when possible misconduct allegations occur, whichever first.

Bob Chapek will become CEO.

Tom Staggs will be at P&R.

All 100% pure SPECULATION but it's worth a shot.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I'm starting to connect the threads:

Bob Iger will resign when his contract is up or when possible misconduct allegations occur, whichever first.

Bob Chapek will become CEO.

Tom Staggs will be at P&R.

All 100% pure SPECULATION but it's worth a shot.
Hmm... not sure that's appropriate in this forum, since it's the "News, Rumors and Current Events" forum. Is there a "Speculation" forum somewhere around here... ;)

Brad Bishop

Disney seems to be in trouble at WDW.

Seems to be management decisions and people who need to be changed.

All of a sudden Disney had to start building which in my mind means they let things stagnate too long and are now in catch up mode. Wasn't just a project a year it was bam here comes a bunch of stuff. That's catch up style building.

They said they wanted to force out the poor people by using higher prices so that the parks aren't so crowded. I don't believe that at all, just an excuse to raise prices but I think what they said has come true. I'm sure they thought people would just pay and Disney could cram as many people in as possible into the parks. I bet one day park tickets have dropped off a cliff. Many on here don't think that is a problem but the world of high spenders who stay at WDW for a week at a time is limited.

Disney manufacturers approach to theme parks is terrible. Straight from an accountant. Accountant think like this. Everything is time and money, give people as little as possible for as much as possible. Acceptable wait times would be the best example. If people on a holiday will wait an hour per ride then when the park is slower make them wait an hour a ride because that is acceptable to them. Send people home to save on labor. That doesn't work when you look around and the park is half full yet you are waiting as long as you would during spring break. People understand that and don't like it. Go to get a burger and only 3 lines are open when their are 10 lines that could be open? That will make people angry.

I think WDW has many problems:
- It's their crown jewel but it isn't treated like that nor managed like that.
- It's used at their sacrificial lamb when the new CEO wants to build his "legacy" somewhere overseas.
- The people running it don't understand the overall theming of the resort. Right now they just place things wherever and call it a day.
- They only update when they absolutely have to. This leads to them playing catch-up at places like DHS or Epcot.
- To make up for losses they look for new ways to nickel and dime people. Cabanas, after hours parties, more and more party nights (selling the park twice). It's all about today's spreadsheet and nothing about the overall experience.
- They outsource technology. They used to be the ones developing all of the cool ideas or at least bringing them to fruition. Now it's off the shelf stuff with standard Disney AAs. 20,000 Leagues was for innovative than TLM..

All of these problems are intertwined. Each are a cause or effect of another.

With regards to the lines. Based on everything I've seen, Disney is likely erring on the side of cost-cutting with labor. That said, other parks do this, too. The problem is that you have this weird point on a coaster where if you ran two trains they're running mostly empty but if you run one train then you end up with a crappy line and that line can change dramatically through the day and, at the same time, you don't want to add/remove trains all throughout the day. You want to keep that at a minimum.

From what I've experienced, on slow days the coasters will run with 1 train and maybe later, if the crowds build, they'll add a second train. It sucks, but it makes sense.

One thing that may happen in the future: When Universal builds on the new land and then, if they're smart, they connect their properties with something like an elevated tram system, it's going to look really bad at Disney because even though the distances are greater at WDW (5+ mi vs 1mi at Universal), all people are going to be thinking is: "This is so convenient. I can get on this tram and go to wherever I want to go at Universal even though the properties aren't connected!" They're not going to care that it's 1mi vs 5+mi. They're just going to see the convenience/neat-bit of it.

If Universal goes buses then that won't happen. It'd be a good way for Universal to sting WDW, though, especially considering the history of WDW with Monorails/Peoplemovers being the future.

Also, unlike WDW.. Universal could probably get away with one large loop. Even hitting some of their smaller properties along International Drive.

larandtra

And all of the problems you mentioned, which are major issues, can be resolved with the imminent changes in management because it appears for once, they have an actual plan which will be led by one voice who understands the balance between returning WDW to being the crown jewel it was and maintaining smart business practices. Too many cooks in the kitchen have made a mess of things for too long.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ah, the new anti-Disney narrative rears its head again: That Disney is so poorly run and degraded and going nowhere that Universal, with its fast-paced building and new land for three to six more 'gates' will surpass Disney. In response...

1. WDW is way, way ahead of Uni right now. So much so that Uni's new offerings would have to come at a rate which far surpasses anything that WDW does if it is to get ahead of WDW.

2. The case mentioned in #1 isn't about to happen. WDW is overhauling and adding new attractions for the next decade at the same rate any proposed new Universal attractions/gates are happening. Which means WDW will stay ahead of Uni.​

I'm not saying this because I love WDW and hate Uni, I don't. Until Pandora and FoP, I regarded Spider-Man and the Potter Lands as the best Orlando ride and land. It's just the fact: WDW is way ahead and its current pace of additions and upgrades is on par with whatever Uni has planned.

I wasn't even counting Dino or Imagination! [In just the next four years...]

8 overhauls: Stitch, Speedway, UoE, Circle of Life, Gran Fiesta, TGMR, and at least two of these three: Mermaid, BatB, Indy.

8 new: TRON Cycle, MK Theater, UK, Rat, Slinky Dog Dash, ASwS, Falcon, Battle Escape

There's a good handful more rumored, but they're not as confirmed or they're 5-6 years out, which include Dino, Imagination, Tiki Room, something at the Seas, some sort of upgrade to Living with the Land, a mysterious thing happening north of Kali, a new show replacing Flights of Wonder, and a Pandora addition. And a new night parade at MK, and a new day parade, and a new or upgraded fireworks at MK, and the Illuminations overhaul, and a final disposition of Star Tours and Launch Bay, and the movie upgrades in the World Showcase pavilions, and a new Epcot spine and Innoventions overhaul (whatever that turns out to be).

Last edited:

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Ah, the new anti-Disney narrative rears its head again: That Disney is so poorly run and degraded and going nowhere that Universal, with its fast-paced building and new land for three to six more 'gates' will surpass Disney. In response...

1. WDW is way, way ahead of Uni right now. So much so that Uni's new offerings would have to come at a rate which far surpasses anything that WDW does if it is to get ahead of WDW.

2. The case mentioned in #1 isn't about to happen. WDW is overhauling and adding new attractions for the next decade at the same rate any proposed new Universal attractions/gates are happening. Which means WDW will stay ahead of Uni.​

I'm not saying this because I love WDW and hate Uni, I don't. Until Pandora and FoP, I regarded Spider-Man and the Potter Lands as the best Orlando ride and land. It's just the fact: WDW is way ahead and its current pace off additions and upgrades is on par with whatever Uni has planned.
And at least WDW now at least has the best ride...

the.dreamfinder

And all of the problems you mentioned, which are major issues, can be resolved with the imminent changes in management because it appears for once, they have an actual plan which will be led by one voice who understands the balance between returning WDW to being the crown jewel it was and maintaining smart business practices. Too many cooks in the kitchen have made a mess of things for too long.
By voice, do you mean single person or a group reading from the same songbook?

pax_65

If F&W was all the park had to offer, you'd be right. But to me there's so much about Epcot I love. F&W just adds to the experience to me, so I don't see it as a $200 cover charge.

I don't disagree... and I love Epcot too. If you're doing a week or 10-day vacation and spending long days in Epcot exploring all that it has to offer (which is less than it used to offer, but I digress) then you can look at F&W as a nice bonus. That said, many people plan trips specifically for F&W - that is the primary reason for the trip, or at least the reason why they'd plan their WDW trip for the Fall months. Given the cost of admission and what you get for your $$$ I wouldn't do that any longer. As I said, if I had an AP anyway I might do it since it wouldn't cost me any more to do it, but for that to happen Disney has to make my buying an AP worthwhile again. I had an AP for many years and took 2-3 trips a year (including F&W) but have cut back significantly in recent years.

larandtra

Single leader with the full support and same vision/voice from a very reliable and smart group. That support coming from very prominent and outspoken individuals who have been handcuffed by current messes to actually accomplish the goals they set out to accomplish. Im seeing all the rumors in other threads but noone knows for sure at this point. Just from my interactions it appears that the direction it will go is one supported by those who have led in their respective jobs and areas of expertise, but, have always had to deal with multiple voices giving direction, and never in the same direction. More freedom to make things happen and less crap to put up with. Sometimes its just a leader to provide the vision and a strong group of people that person relies on and trusts to make it happen. Not always driven by the dollar, but, not being avoidant of it either.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I don't disagree... and I love Epcot too. If you're doing a week or 10-day vacation and spending long days in Epcot exploring all that it has to offer (which is less than it used to offer, but I digress) then you can look at F&W as a nice bonus. That said, many people plan trips specifically for F&W - that is the primary reason for the trip, or at least the reason why they'd plan their WDW trip for the Fall months. Given the cost of admission and what you get for your $$$ I wouldn't do that any longer. As I said, if I had an AP anyway I might do it since it wouldn't cost me any more to do it, but for that to happen Disney has to make my buying an AP worthwhile again. I had an AP for many years and took 2-3 trips a year (including F&W) but have cut back significantly in recent years.
My wife and I wouldn't go to Disney / Epcot for F&W exclusively but would often time our WDW visits to be during F&W. With park hopper, we'd often spend the morning/early afternoon in one parks and then do F&W at night while exploring World Showcase, and cap off the night with Illuminations.

ExTourGuide

My wife and I wouldn't go to Disney / Epcot for F&W exclusively but would often time our WDW visits to be during F&W. With park hopper, we'd often spend the morning/early afternoon in one parks and then do F&W at night while exploring World Showcase, and cap off the night with Illuminations.
Many people apparently do the same. For example, DVC resort reservations are very tough to get during the entire FW Festival.

Interestingly enough, they're essentially doing the same thing on a smaller scale for Epcot's holiday festival this year - many of the same booths with different menus - and the crowd right now is much lower.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom