Major Epcot Update: Kodak Out?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The building retrofit was quite straight forward. The main areas were driving the ramp through the centrecore, raising the upper floor to accommodate the bus bar and drive rails, and to a lesser degree the lower load area but this was ripped out anyway and reconfigured (plus it`s interesting how faithful to WOM TTs ground level layout is)

There was also the Mezzanine added for the barrier test and tunnel areas, plus the exterior track, but nothing too difficult. Infact, as retrofitting goes TT was quite simple. It was the entire ride systems control that was the issue. Not hust wayside. And things like tyres of course. It was an unknown variable at the time.

s8film40

I would imagine the biggest deciding factor on whether they have to tear it down or retrofit it will be whatever the concept is they come up with for the Imagination pavilion. I'm still thinking that if there's a new sponsor and they put a new attraction in they may want the whole pavilion to look new and different.

Future Guy

As of now it's just the Imagination Pavilion. Ride maintenence confirmed it for me and were told the building will be closed for a short period of time in the near future. Don't know exactly what that means as they sounded like they didn't know either.

Maybe the bean-counters have noticed that Journey Into Dr. Nigel Channing's Imagination is about as popular as a swimming pool full of warm Beverly and they're making it a seasonal attraction.

misterID

Maybe the bean-counters have noticed that Journey Into Dr. Nigel Channing's Imagination is about as popular as a swimming pool full of warm Beverly and they're making it a seasonal attraction.

That would make the Imagination redo the biggest failure of any attraction in Disney history. The redo took the place of one of the most popular attractions in all of WDW and THE most popular in EPCOT. I can't think of a bigger fall than this attraction took.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
That would make the Imagination redo the biggest failure of any attraction in Disney history. The redo took the place of one of the most popular attractions in all of WDW and THE most popular in EPCOT. I can't think of a bigger fall than this attraction took.
Are we talking popularity or content?
Personally I still kind of enjoy the current Imagination, though the original was miles better.
IMO - The Tiki Room -> TR UNM was the biggest FAIL. Beloved attraction to totally unwatchable.

But, I guess possibly the attendance numbers were down on the original Tiki, causing the change, where I would think that JII change took it from popular to empty.

David S.

Are we talking popularity or content?
Personally I still kind of enjoy the current Imagination, though the original was miles better

Me too! That's how I feel. The original Imagination was my favorite attraction in the history of Epcot! I did not care for the second, Figment-free version, but the current version is my favorite attraction in the park now and second all-time Epcot fave! I guess I'm easy to please, but as long as the uber-cute Figment and his catchy and addictive theme song are there, I'm happy! :)

I really don't know what to think of this news about Kodak leaving. If Disney keeps the pavilion open as a sponsor-less pavillion, it could be good news for Figment fans if they either restore the Pavilion to it's original glory, or at least keep the current ride.

However, it could be bad news for Figment if the pavilion becomes a seasonal attraction, becomes closed indefinitely, or, WORST case scenario, gets replaced by a completely new pavilion with no Figgie :(

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Me too! That's how I feel. The original Imagination was my favorite attraction in the history of Epcot! I did not care for the second, Figment-free version, but the current version is my favorite attraction in the park now and second all-time Epcot fave! I guess I'm easy to please, but as long as the uber-cute Figment and his catchy and addictive theme song are there, I'm happy! :)

I really don't know what to think of this news about Kodak leaving. If Disney keeps the pavilion open as a sponsor-less pavillion, it could be good news for Figment fans if they either restore the Pavilion to it's original glory, or at least keep the current ride.

However, it could be bad news for Figment if the pavilion becomes a seasonal attraction, becomes closed indefinitely, or, WORST case scenario, gets replaced by a completely new pavilion with no Figgie :(
If the Imagination pavillion ever goes the way of WoL (closed "indefinitely"), that will be the day one of the last pieces of my childhood dies.

My fingers are crossed for some improvement to the post-show in the near-term, and a major rework (bring back the original, or an improved version of the original) in the future.

Anyone have any idea how much a "sponsorship" brings in? After the initial investment, is it basically cost of maintainence and minor upgrades? More / Less?

s8film40

If the Imagination pavillion ever goes the way of WoL (closed "indefinitely"), that will be the day one of the last pieces of my childhood dies.

I don't think it will go the way of Wonders of Life simply because it's not tucked away in a corner the way WoL is. WoL could easily be passed by while Imagination is in a pretty well traveled area.

muteki

I would imagine the biggest deciding factor on whether they have to tear it down or retrofit it will be whatever the concept is they come up with for the Imagination pavilion. I'm still thinking that if there's a new sponsor and they put a new attraction in they may want the whole pavilion to look new and different.

I really hope whatever happens doesn't affect the building since the architecture is so unique. However I could say the same about another former building in FW East...

I don't think it will go the way of Wonders of Life simply because it's not tucked away in a corner the way WoL is. WoL could easily be passed by while Imagination is in a pretty well traveled area.

The Odyssey is also in a similar location on the other side of the park but it sits empty to most guests as well.

BrerFrog

I have no great childhood memories of the pavillion (mostly because I only went to Disney when I was 18) and I would be sad to see it being brought down to the ground. I guess the fact that it was once one of the most popular attractions on property will make Disney think more than twice before doing such a thing.

They know many of their guests have great connections with the ride and that a well done overhaul can easily bring it back to life, because it is such a remarkable part of EPCOT.

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
The building retrofit was quite straight forward. The main areas were driving the ramp through the centrecore, raising the upper floor to accommodate the bus bar and drive rails, and to a lesser degree the lower load area but this was ripped out anyway and reconfigured (plus it`s interesting how faithful to WOM TTs ground level layout is)

There was also the Mezzanine added for the barrier test and tunnel areas, plus the exterior track, but nothing too difficult. Infact, as retrofitting goes TT was quite simple. It was the entire ride systems control that was the issue. Not hust wayside. And things like tyres of course. It was an unknown variable at the time.

I learned all that by watching your Ultimate Test Track Tribute vid. Very interesting stuff...

CJR

Maybe it's time for: Imagination presented by Hallmark

I've always wanted to see Hallmark sponsor the pavilion. I'm going to write them!

It would be neat to get that Spiderman style ride there (wasn't there an idea for a brain storm type attraction a few years ago after Time Travelers went under?) and a new film for the 3D theater. There's so much potential here I hope Disney looks at this. If they play their cards right, getting a sponsor should be a piece of cake. Out of all the pavilions, this should be the easiest to get a sponsor as long as they get an awesome attraction to go with it.

That means Journey to Imagination with Figment is going to have to go. I would love to see Figment and Dreamfinder in whatever comes next, but if they want to get even more creative, I'd love to see what they come up with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom