Major DTD update

klstorey

You never know a smaller event like the FIBA world championships could come to WDW someday it probably wouldn't push them to do much work though
Don't forget Orlando did host the '94 World Cup and with the 3 part city venues project wrapping up he'll be itching to find an even bigger legacy project.

That plus TDO figuring out even more ways of cashing in on the goldmine known as ESPN's WWOS it wouldn't surprise me to see an event like FIBA come here. Nothing as big as the Olympics, Expo, or World Cup but something bigger than the championship games and conferences WDW currently hosts. If they do use WWOS I hope that the 192 shopping plans are revived and connected to it. It would be great to have this area of 192 be walkable and connected directly to WWOS, with quick dedicated transit to DTD.

I did hear some mention of Expo (more Koreas than Chinas actually) having some small influence on talks about EPCOT but again nothing serious or concrete, just more of the casual passing comments on reviving the park with some event like that or announcing a handful of new lands with a theme like that. Either way EPCOT seems to be more on the back burner, at least in IMHO, till DTD and DAK plans are at least more concrete. Then I imagine it'll be DHS, and then EPCOT. With some new transit and maybe a hotel or two in works in the meantime.

No matter what they do the reality is Orlando's tourism numbers and local population are both growing, meaning more customers for DTD, meaning that it will be expanded somehow, some day. I expect our's to become a mix of The Grove and those odd mega-malls in Asia that have entertainment, shopping, hotels, and everything else under the sun all in one place.

Cosmic Commando

I think the biggest thing is, Disney would have make some compelling case on how they are going to ADD enough that would benefit the local/state government to justify investing in something like that. And we're talking big expansions to be able to make such arguments. I doubt that would be.. so Disney would just have to pay for it and probably offer to build it themselves to FVOT specs to ensure the project's timeline.
I haven't heard anything about it, even with rumors flying like crazy about DtD, but why doesn't Disney build a hotel in the middle of/directly connected to DtD? I'm not talking Saratoga; that's DVC anyway. The rooms there are crazy expensive for cash rentals. The bed taxes (most anywhere but specifically) for Orange and Osceola counties border on the usurious, so a new hotel would be a pretty compelling reason for the government to help fund transportation improvements. With some quick and dirty math to get a lowball number, 25,000 rooms at 80% capacity at $100 per night at 12.5% tax (it's 13% for Pop and some All-Stars) is $250,000 per day in bed taxes for the counties. That's a low-end estimate... that's guessing $100 per room; I don't think it would be crazy to say the average room price at WDW could be $200 or more even with discounts (keep in mind free dining books a rack rate room). 800 rooms at a new hotel, 80% capacity, $200 per night per room would be... an extra $16,000 per day in taxes generated. That doesn't include any extra sales tax from DtD improvements or at the hotel itself. People love the way the Grand Californian is right in DtD in Anaheim. Some people really go heavy on the shopping and some go really heavy on the drinking (even after Epcot is closed), so an expanded DtD with a transportation system that makes it easy to get around would drive demand for a hotel in a big way. With the lures mentioned above, it could even become the de facto "adult" Disney hotel. And it works both ways: having 1,000 people or more staying right inside DtD (I think) helps lure some more businesses to pay the crazy rates that Disney is sure to charge for restaurant/retail space.

Someone tell me there has at least been a whisper of a Disney hotel inside DtD? It makes a lot of sense.

jt04

I haven't heard anything about it, even with rumors flying like crazy about DtD, but why doesn't Disney build a hotel in the middle of/directly connected to DtD? I'm not talking Saratoga; that's DVC anyway. The rooms there are crazy expensive for cash rentals. The bed taxes (most anywhere but specifically) for Orange and Osceola counties border on the usurious, so a new hotel would be a pretty compelling reason for the government to help fund transportation improvements. With some quick and dirty math to get a lowball number, 25,000 rooms at 80% capacity at $100 per night at 12.5% tax (it's 13% for Pop and some All-Stars) is $250,000 per day in bed taxes for the counties. That's a low-end estimate... that's guessing $100 per room; I don't think it would be crazy to say the average room price at WDW could be $200 or more even with discounts (keep in mind free dining books a rack rate room). 800 rooms at a new hotel, 80% capacity, $200 per night per room would be... an extra $16,000 per day in taxes generated. That doesn't include any extra sales tax from DtD improvements or at the hotel itself. People love the way the Grand Californian is right in DtD in Anaheim. Some people really go heavy on the shopping and some go really heavy on the drinking (even after Epcot is closed), so an expanded DtD with a transportation system that makes it easy to get around would drive demand for a hotel in a big way. With the lures mentioned above, it could even become the de facto "adult" Disney hotel. And it works both ways: having 1,000 people or more staying right inside DtD (I think) helps lure some more businesses to pay the crazy rates that Disney is sure to charge for restaurant/retail space.

Someone tell me there has at least been a whisper of a Disney hotel inside DtD? It makes a lot of sense.

I think this works especially if placed across the road. They need to seperate and adult night life based areas away from the mixed use areas. IMO.

And I think with the announcement yesterday of the new interactive display Disney is indicating the current DTD is not abandoning primarily catering to families. At least during the day and early evening.

asianway

Of the 12.5% tax, 6.5% is state sales tax and the remaining 6% goes to the county for tourism development. It's pretty much all spoken for though, between OCCC bond retirement, funding OCCC losses, Visit Florida, Amway, Citrus Bowl, and the performing arts center. Disney would need to exert some muscle but since taxes are just now coming back after the recession, they have a backlog they need to pay back. They could always raise the tax though, not like they never did that before

Cosmic Commando

I think this works especially if placed across the road. They need to seperate and adult night life based areas away from the mixed use areas. IMO.

And I think with the announcement yesterday of the new interactive display Disney is indicating the current DTD is not abandoning primarily catering to families. At least during the day and early evening.
If it's in the middle of a "new PI" (doesn't need to be that name but functional equivalent), then yes. If it's across the street like Hotel Plaza Blvd, then no. A new hotel in the right in the middle of DtD will drive new demand. A close but separated hotel is just another WDW hotel.

Of the 12.5% tax, 6.5% is state sales tax and the remaining 6% goes to the county for tourism development. It's pretty much all spoken for though, between OCCC bond retirement, funding OCCC losses, Visit Florida, Amway, Citrus Bowl, and the performing arts center. Disney would need to exert some muscle but since taxes are just now coming back after the recession, they have a backlog they need to pay back. They could always raise the tax though, not like they never did that before
I didn't know the split between the counties and the state. I assumed there was some going to the state, but I didn't know. Still, the point is that WDW hotels create A LOT of tax revenue. A decent-sized new hotel could create $16K per day just from the bed tax.

sublimesting

A ramp and parking garage.....

Bbbbut why would they need more parking when there is even less to do there than ever before?!!? Good thing they got rid of that pesky Adventurers Club so they could afford a new ramp.

jt04

If it's in the middle of a "new PI" (doesn't need to be that name but functional equivalent), then yes. If it's across the street like Hotel Plaza Blvd, then no. A new hotel in the right in the middle of DtD will drive new demand. A close but separated hotel is just another WDW hotel.

Not if connected by pedestrian walks and a people mover system of some sort. My understanding is that the entire complex will function as a whole system. Simialr to the way Universal's parking garages are connected to the attraction areas. Once guests leave their cars they do not have to dodge traffic because the pedestrian walk passes over a busy road. It is a great system.

There is no way on earth Disney will split the West End from the Marketplace with a hotel that has entertainment offerings similar to what PI offered. That is exactly how they got into such a mess in the first place.

If they create a new PI area it will be seperated from the mixed use areas. No doubt in my mind.

DTD does not lack for demand. The only thing holding back the adding of more content is the parking situation which is challanging for people that don't feel like the often long trek in the Florida heat.

HenryMystic

DTD does not lack for demand. The only thing holding back the adding of more content is the parking situation which is challanging for people that don't feel like the often long trek in the Florida heat.
If you park in the PI or West Side lot, this is simply not true, and these are the areas that need content. This entire plan is folly and a misuse of capital improvements. DTD was fine this time 4 years ago. Disney should be investing in the real reason people come and spend $90 a day, the parks.

DTD getting a parking structure before DHS. Hilarious and sad at the same time.

Beholder

If you park in the PI or West Side lot, this is simply not true, and these are the areas that need content. This entire plan is folly and a misuse of capital improvements. DTD was fine this time 4 years ago. Disney should be investing in the real reason people come and spend $90 a day, the parks.

DTD getting a parking structure before DHS. Hilarious and sad at the same
time.

As much as I would like DTD expanded/fixed, whatever, I think you're right. Put money and resources into the parks first. Kind of like putting the cart before the horse. I'd much rather see DHS or EPCOT's FW get the money that DTD is getting. I know DTD is like a ship without a rudder (some would argue all of WDW is), and PI is just an aimless mess, but so are some of the parks, at least in certain areas. If DTD is going to get attention, then please do it right, and don't waste money on something that 5-10 years from now will need a "bold, new vision".

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I recently help with a parking structure planning and it was estamated to cost $35,000 per parking slot. In order to put a dent in the parking a DtD you would be looking at maybe 2,000 cars or a cost of $70,000,000 to build just the parking structure. With empty lot parking at West Side, I would think you could build the transportation system from there a lot cheeper than a deck on the east side.

TimeTrip

I recently help with a parking structure planning and it was estamated to cost $35,000 per parking slot. In order to put a dent in the parking a DtD you would be looking at maybe 2,000 cars or a cost of $70,000,000 to build just the parking structure. With empty lot parking at West Side, I would think you could build the transportation system from there a lot cheeper than a deck on the east side.
Was that without the cost of land acquisition? If so.. wow.

Ignohippo

THANK YOU!!! I've said this for years. One of the things that makes City Walk so successful is the hotels that are within an easy walking distance.

To take it one step further, an adult-oriented hotel in DTD would do wonders. I'm talking about a tower with pools on the rooftops and an adult party atmosphere - no one under 21 allowed. In my crazed fanboi dreams, it would be in the parking lot behind Splitsville, with the pool and outdoor entertainment area on the Splitsville roof.

Another tower hotel (for all-ages) could go on the land north of Cirque and next to HoB. Both would be budget/moderate (around $149 per night) and both would be sleek, contemporary and very un-Disney.

An adult hotel at DTD would change the reputation that Disney is only for kids and add another demographic that currently doesn't appeal to. Adding two hotels right on DTD property would bring thousands of people to the area every day that would shop at the stores and dine in the restaurants/drink at the bars that otherwise may stay off-site or not come to WDW at all.

Ignohippo

In my mind, it wouldn't be like a huge resort built in the middle of DTD, but a tower on top of it.

A lot like the newer hotels in Vegas where you have shopping on the first floor and the tower, pools, etc. built above.

71jason

DTD getting a parking structure before Magic Kingdom. Hilarious and sad at the same time.

Fixed that for you.

(Did I mention it took 50 minutes to get from MK to TTC last night? During which time--right at closing--exactly two monrails travelled the express route. Well, three if you count the empty Monorail Green. Time to build a parking garage within walking distance.)

In all seriousness, though, we seem to be caught up in a discussion about parking rather than all the empty space currently in DTD. OP alluded to a plan, any more details?

flynnibus

Premium Member
THANK YOU!!! I've said this for years. One of the things that makes City Walk so successful is the hotels that are within an easy walking distance.

To take it one step further, an adult-oriented hotel in DTD would do wonders. I'm talking about a tower with pools on the rooftops and an adult party atmosphere - no one under 21 allowed. In my crazed fanboi dreams, it would be in the parking lot behind Splitsville, with the pool and outdoor entertainment area on the Splitsville roof.

Another tower hotel (for all-ages) could go on the land north of Cirque and next to HoB. Both would be budget/moderate (around $149 per night) and both would be sleek, contemporary and very un-Disney.

An adult hotel at DTD would change the reputation that Disney is only for kids and add another demographic that currently doesn't appeal to. Adding two hotels right on DTD property would bring thousands of people to the area every day that would shop at the stores and dine in the restaurants/drink at the bars that otherwise may stay off-site or not come to WDW at all.

I'm sure all the lake buena vista hotel operators would love you for such suggestions...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom