Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

216bruce

How does this guy have so much say in what goes on at WDW? Seems silly to me.
Phil-hercules.jpg

disney4life2008

Man I loved Pirates in Disneyland........ The Haunted Mansion is better in Magic Kingdom though ;)

Agreed. Pirates at DLR is absolutely amazing from start to finish and the smell of the food from the restaurant - yum! While I enjoyed Haunted Mansion at DLR - I found the outside of the house to be more exciting than the actual ride. I absolutely love HM at MK - I end us riding at least 10 times on my last day at the world.

Last edited:

BoarderPhreak

Closing something down for as long as it takes, in the long run, is the least disruptive. NYC does this with major subway repairs now. Rather than stretch work out over several weeks, which introduces a lot of overhead and just annoys everyone... They shut down a station hard for the weekend and "get 'er done." It's been working out very well, with less frustration for everyone.

Now with a major attraction such as PotC, I can understand them not wanting it closed down for months at a time. But sometimes, when you let a ride rot into the ground (or water, as the case may be) then you have no one to blame but yourself. Rip the Band-Aid off and just do what you have to, to get back on track...

...and considering the pace of Disney Construction Co. it's still years faster than building something new! :D

Ignohippo

Can we not with the Epcot/moving things jokes? This is about POTC and the refurb.

I'm disappointed it's only four months. It needs at least a year. Phil won I see. Ugh. Isn't it about time he "retired to spend time with his family"?

At least it's getting work done I suppose and Splash proved they can do a lot in a short amount of time so I'm hopeful. We will see I guess.

I don't get it. The FLE, Avatar, etc. take years longer than they should and people scream from the rooftops.

Yet, Imagineering (who is known for dragging its heels) asks for an insane amount of time for a refurb and people are fine with it and complain it won't be down for longer.

It's very hard for me to believe, that with the right amount of workers, ANY refurb (not including track replacement) couldn't be done in a month or two if they put the appropriate resources into it. We don't know that the budget hasn't been appropriately increased so that more workers can be present to do the work in less time.

rct247

For those of you upset it will be closed during your visit, if it was not closed for refurb, it most likely would have been closed for technical difficulties. They have isssues almost daily over there from what I understand. In the past 2 months alone, there have been a few days where it has been unexpectedly been down for large chunks of the day. While yes there are show issues, the big issue has been with the boats taking on water and or getting stuck. The attraction is eating up maintenance budgets for half of the park which has slightly affected other attractions and their upkeep.

I'm also disappointed to hear that Phil is pushing to minimizing the time. Sure, it is important to be efficient to get it back open for guests, but not to sacrifice things. Other attractions at MK with long refurbishments came back when they could have used some extra TLC.

No more bandaids, TDO. Do it right and dont wait until things are in such a bad state to fix them. Be proactive and you won't fall behind.

bebert

For those of you upset it will be closed during your visit, if it was not closed for refurb, it most likely would have been closed for technical difficulties. They have isssues almost daily over there from what I understand. In the past 2 months alone, there have been a few days where it has been unexpectedly been down for large chunks of the day. While yes there are show issues, the big issue has been with the boats taking on water and or getting stuck. The attraction is eating up maintenance budgets for half of the park which has slightly affected other attractions and their upkeep.

I'm also disappointed to hear that Phil is pushing to minimizing the time. Sure, it is important to be efficient to get it back open for guests, but not to sacrifice things. Other attractions at MK with long refurbishments came back when they could have used some extra TLC.

No more bandaids, TDO. Do it right and dont wait until things are in such a bad state to fix them. Be proactive and you won't fall behind.
Agreed, I didn't plan on riding it more than once because of this.

Bing Bong

UHH I live in Ohio and was going to be there in October, didn't have much choice and probably a once in a lifetime chance to be at DLR for free. Still glad I was able to ride it.
Ok... that's not the park's fault then. HMH has been around for almost 14 years it shouldn't have been that much of a surprise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom