Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

dupac

Thank the Lord!!!!! POTC needs so much TLC
It truly does. I'm going with a bunch of first timers in April and I'm torn on whether or not to ride it. It's why I was hoping the closure would start sooner! I mean, the new boats just sound awful and I'd hate for someone to experience POTC for the first time at its complete worst.

note2001

All you people complaining about it being closed this summer should go to Disneyland California. Disneyland's PotC is twice as long, and DLR is going to be celebrating it's 60th anniversary which will be something you don't want to miss.

I haven't seen such complaining.

Not only am I not complaining, I think they should take an extra month or two and add a little something extra!

Yup. No complaining here. I figure if rides don't get refurbished they get torn out all together eventually.
Didn't you start this whole "Go to DL" bit earlier in the thread? I thought we were well past that. We're talking about WDW, not DL, like they're on opposite sides of a continent or something.

Prince Thomas

It truly does. I'm going with a bunch of first timers in April and I'm torn on whether or not to ride it. It's why I was hoping the closure would start sooner! I mean, the new boats just sound awful and I'd hate for someone to experience POTC for the first time at its complete worst.
Go on it still...a classic ride is still a classic ride no matter what condition

Bing Bong

Yup. No complaining here. I figure if rides don't get refurbished they get torn out all together eventually.
Didn't you start this whole "Go to DL" bit earlier in the thread? I thought we were well past that. We're talking about WDW, not DL, like they're on opposite sides of a continent or something.
Just trying to help people out, I'm sorry that the mention of a better resort unsettles people.

Prince Thomas

..........oh dear.....

note2001

..........oh dear.....
deer and bunnies
bambi_and_thumper.png

TP2000

So Phil won. Darn. This is the shortest possible refurb just to get it functional. Sad. Thanks for the info, though. At least the ride should be safe once it returns. Maybe they'll sneak in a few updates, but this won't provide enough time for much.

Is it possible the September 26th date is not accurate, but shows up on planning calendars because that's the last day of the 2014 Fiscal Year?

This sort of calendar issue shows up routinely at Disneyland (where long refurbishments are actually routine, and not a thread-worthy novelty like at WDW), where a ride will be closed from late August until November, but when it first shows up on the calendar early in the year it's listed as being closed through the last full business week of September because that's the last week of the Fiscal Year.

Later in the year, when the next FIscal Year and its funding comes into view, the refurbishment date is extended into October or November. At least that's how the calendar often works for long Disneyland refurbishments.

And yeah, it's a shame they can't add the missing seven minutes of ride time and the extra drop from Disneyland, but that would take a full rebuild not just a refurb.

AndyS2992

Awh, reopens a few days after I leave but it's ok, this ride really needs a refurb.

The last time I rode it back in 2011 it looked a complete mess even then so I can't even imagine what it is like now.

ABQ

So why is it the assumption of so many that 4.5 months is not nearly enough time to fix what needs to be fixed?
Is it assumed that the rehab team will consist of no more than 3 workers? I know there's only so much space you you can't throw 900 people at it, but you can put a good amount and they can work, if they wanted them to, 24/7. Or is it all just based on the assumption that "WDW are cheap and will not pay enough"?

note2001

So why is it the assumption of so many that 4.5 months is not nearly enough time to fix what needs to be fixed?
Is it assumed that the rehab team will consist of no more than 3 workers? I know there's only so much space you you can't throw 900 people at it, but you can put a good amount and they can work, if they wanted them to, 24/7. Or is it all just based on the assumption that "WDW are cheap and will not pay enough"?

4.5 months is not enough time unless they are gonna pay the OT and run shifts 24 hours a day.

I think it all depends on what they're fixing. If it's to swap out the boats for new ones and refit a track, that will take time, but I think 4 months is plenty in which to do it and have some leeway for troubleshooting.

If they're also tending to animatronics etc the staff will need to be larger and more diverse, but still doable.

If Jack Sparrow is planning on going on one of his adventures, 4 months might not be enough time to track him back down. (Tortuga it is!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom