Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

orky8

Ya know, it would probably be cheaper if MK eliminated the fireworks and put back the trees. Just something to consider instead of all the moanin going on. Yes, trees were pretty, but they were in the way of the fireworks (and now castle projection show). You can't really have both. I choose fireworks.

space42

Ya know, it would probably be cheaper if MK eliminated the fireworks and put back the trees. Just something to consider instead of all the moanin going on. Yes, trees were pretty, but they were in the way of the fireworks (and now castle projection show). You can't really have both. I choose fireworks.

You're right - Magic Kingdom had no fireworks from 1971 - 2003.

orky8

You're right - Magic Kingdom had no fireworks from 1971 - 2003.

The trees were an issue then, which is why they were cut back, and magic kingdom has far more guest now. But you knew both these things. We can't just bury our heads in the sand and pretend that the trees aren't an issue for viewing the fireworks -- they are a major issue. On top of that the hub is dangerously over crowded.

ETA: and there were no castle projection shows back then.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The trees were an issue then, which is why they were cut back, and magic kingdom has far more guest now. But you knew both these things. We can't just bury our heads in the sand and pretend that the trees aren't an issue for viewing the fireworks -- they are a major issue. On top of that the hub is dangerously over crowded.

ETA: and there were no castle projection shows back then.
Trees were trimmed for the projections already. Any foliage after late 2010 didn't get in the projection path.

The hub was trimmed in 2005 specifically for Wishes, due to sightlines, not for fireworks.

Just making things clear.

orky8

Trees were trimmed for the projections already. Any foliage after late 2010 didn't get in the projection path.

The hub was trimmed in 2005 specifically for Wishes, due to sightlines, not for fireworks.

Just making things clear.

Due to sightlines to see the fireworks, no? And how many more people are crowding the hub today than in 2005? The hub needs to be expanded to allow more place to view fireworks and safer travels through during those times. Trees get in the way of seeing fireworks whether you are below them or behind them and thus reduce the amount of viable viewing locations. Therefore, trees gotta go. This isn't exactly rocket science...

And, to be clear, people are upset about the current level of treeiness (what, it's a word). But, today is already pretty barren. I agree the pictures from early 2000s look great, but those trees would be in the way of the projections and left little area for viewing wishes.

Sorry, just don't see the big deal. On balance, this renovation is an all around win and the right choice.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Pretty Pretty! Perfect backdrop for new parade.
BijC3QDCYAAYbA3.jpg

attractions magazine twitter

brihow

Pretty Pretty! Perfect backdrop for new parade.
BijC3QDCYAAYbA3.jpg

attractions magazine twitter
Are they completely re-doing the shingles on some of the turrets? Looks like a lot more than just re-painting (which I've seen in the past). I'd love to hear if anyone knows everything they are doing to freshen-up the castle!

Gabe1

Are they completely re-doing the shingles on some of the turrets? Looks like a lot more than just re-painting (which I've seen in the past). I'd love to hear if anyone knows everything they are doing to freshen-up the castle!

The other day one of the turrets was a shiny silver, primer. It was one of the best in plain view rehabs I've seen.

Gabe1

The castle has been uglied up for a while now. Crane for lights, Crane to remove the lights, now cranes to fix the castle.

Tobe

Does anyone recall a time lately that there is not some major construction going on in MK? I was hoping the new fantasyland fences would be down when we get there in April and finally for once get the chance to see the MK with relatively few skims and construction fences and now I see all the pics of the central hub. Ugh! I haven't walked down mainstreet without a skim for the past 5 years. I understand and appreciate their improving and maintaining things but couldn't they give us a little break for once?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Due to sightlines to see the fireworks, no? And how many more people are crowding the hub today than in 2005? The hub needs to be expanded to allow more place to view fireworks and safer travels through during those times. Trees get in the way of seeing fireworks whether you are below them or behind them and thus reduce the amount of viable viewing locations. Therefore, trees gotta go. This isn't exactly rocket science...

Here's a random thought... put show before efficiency. Oh wait.. Disney thought of that.. before they ignored it.

There is a huge demand for fireworks... fantastic. Is it taboo to accept there is a limited viewing area for said fireworks and maintain the show... vs gutting the show so you can stuff even MORE people into an already crowded place?

How is stuffing more people in to the point we have now 'better' for guests?

Zweiland

Does anyone recall a time lately that there is not some major construction going on in MK? I was hoping the new fantasyland fences would be down when we get there in April and finally for once get the chance to see the MK with relatively few skims and construction fences and now I see all the pics of the central hub. Ugh! I haven't walked down mainstreet without a skim for the past 5 years. I understand and appreciate their improving and maintaining things but couldn't they give us a little break for once?
Wow... Complaining about too much maintenance... That's one I haven't seen here before. :confused::p

Also, welcome to the boards. (And for future reference, it's "scrim", not "skim")

orky8

Here's a random thought... put show before efficiency. Oh wait.. Disney thought of that.. before they ignored it.

There is a huge demand for fireworks... fantastic. Is it taboo to accept there is a limited viewing area for said fireworks and maintain the show... vs gutting the show so you can stuff even MORE people into an already crowded place?

How is stuffing more people in to the point we have now 'better' for guests?

Exactly, and the show for fireworks was suffering because of the trees. So they put show first. And without the trees, you don't have to stuff more people into a crowded space, because there is now more space. Again, not rocket science. And your suggestion that a limited viewing area is a good thing is ridiculous. It is so taboo to accept that the vast majority of visitors want to see the fireworks with the castle as a backdrop and Disney is trying to give the guests what they want?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Exactly, and the show for fireworks was suffering because of the trees. So they put show first

No, where you could see the fireworks FROM was impacted - not the show itself. The show used to include great twinkling trees too.

And without the trees, you don't have to stuff more people into a crowded space, because there is now more space. Again, not rocket science. And your suggestion that a limited viewing area is a good thing is ridiculous

Ridiculous? is it ridiculous to keep space mountain ride vehicles even tho there is a line for it 365 days a year? Or is it ridiculous that Disney doesn't put jumbo trons all over the hub so more people could see the stage show?

No - you don't just keep scaling things up because there is a demand. It is acceptable to cap the capacity of something in order to maintain it's integrity. Nothing ridiculous about that. Unless you'd like to have your next fireworks in the MK parking lot so there is unlimited viewing space for people...

It is so taboo to accept that the vast majority of visitors want to see the fireworks with the castle as a backdrop and Disney is trying to give the guests what they want?

If it means tearing out what the guests were there to experience in the first place.. then I'd say yeah, dumb idea.

When you change the character to make things bigger - it's not always better.

dstrawn9889

No, where you could see the fireworks FROM was impacted - not the show itself. The show used to include great twinkling trees too.

Ridiculous? is it ridiculous to keep space mountain ride vehicles even tho there is a line for it 365 days a year? Or is it ridiculous that Disney doesn't put jumbo trons all over the hub so more people could see the stage show?

No - you don't just keep scaling things up because there is a demand. It is acceptable to cap the capacity of something in order to maintain it's integrity. Nothing ridiculous about that. Unless you'd like to have your next fireworks in the MK parking lot so there is unlimited viewing space for people...

If it means tearing out what the guests were there to experience in the first place.. then I'd say yeah, dumb idea.

When you change the character to make things bigger - it's not always better.
you really got a thing for trees in the hub, huh?

orky8

And therein lies the only real argument you have -- you say its a dumb idea. I didn't realize people paid thousands of dollars to experience trees. We have those where I live, not sure about you. I do pay thousands of dollars to experience things like wishes. As do most visitors to WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom