Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

novawildcat18

Did they start this side first to get the alternate exit route behind MS opened sooner? Hoping it's not insane with summer crowds.
I hope so. I was there a week and a day ago (last Monday) and the alternate route was open. It was totally unnecessarily opened, it was empty back there and Main Street was not unusually packed. I also hated it as it exposed guests to backstage areas, which show that the Main Street stores are just facades and it shows cast members on their breaks. I have never been so abruptly taken out of the magic before, and I'm a cast member so I've seen it all.

Father Robinson

I understand that the video of the plans is only a rendition of what it will look like, but to me it's interesting that what is not shown are the small bronze statues of the characters that are spread throughout the hub. It would really be a shame to not replace those if they are taken out during the work. I always considered them sort of extensions of the Partners statue.

Otamin

The view down Main Street will look very different. If you haven't watched the rendering video, it's a pretty good approximation of what is happening.
I've seen the video, but it's hard to decipher exactly how it'll look when looking down Main Street.

ABQ

I understand that the video of the plans is only a rendition of what it will look like, but to me it's interesting that what is not shown are the small bronze statues of the characters that are spread throughout the hub. It would really be a shame to not replace those if they are taken out during the work. I always considered them sort of extensions of the Partners statue.
Scroll back in the 40+ pages, it was shown somewhere on blueprint or landscape plans or whatever, that the statues appear to be moved, but still within the hub, just further out from the center.

articos

I've seen the video, but it's hard to decipher exactly how it'll look when looking down Main Street.

Best way to describe what's happening is the hub is being widened. So instead of looking directly down Main Street and seeing the central plaza where the trees and planters used to be together, now Main Street will look down and open out on a larger central plaza. The planters are spaced wider apart so that the view of the castle is unobstructed, but you will see the greenery and flowers, and in the center, lower, will be "Partners" and the new circular planter.

Scroll back in the 40+ pages, it was shown somewhere on blueprint or landscape plans or whatever, that the statues appear to be moved, but still within the hub, just further out from the center.
Correct, the statues should still be there.

Father Robinson

That's ok, I have no problem believing you, if you say they were in the plans somewhere. Thank you!

ABQ

That's ok, I have no problem believing you, if you say they were in the plans somewhere. Thank you!
Yeah, I even tried to find the post, but it's possible it's in this thread, the one about the east side exit from the hub or possibly the moat being emptied thread. I've lost all track and can't find anything.

lazyboy97o

I know I'm in the minority here, but I kind of like being able to see the whole castle from town square. Maybe it's because I'm younger and I don't remember when there were trees in the hub. Though, I do believe trees in the hub are necessary and will liven up the area.
Main Street, USA has lost almost all of its identity. The layering of trees created a visual distinction, but without a difference of identity to distinguish there is not as much to miss.

dstrawn9889

they are trees... they have been gone so long i no longer remember what the hub looked like prior to their removal. we did not lose CBJ or PoTC. just a mass of cellulose and chlorophyll, replanted elsewhere on property, or had saplings planted to offset the loss of them on the property. they were removed for a purpose, and probably chewed into mulch to retain moisture in the beds. what is it you are longing for?

jt04

Main Street, USA has lost almost all of its identity. The layering of trees created a visual distinction, but without a difference of identity to distinguish there is not as much to miss.

If you talk to someone from the early days they might say the trees eventually overwhelmed the view down MSUSA.

MickeyPeace

Personally I'm ed at seeing bridges flattened, moats filled in, small eateries gutted for garden chairs, backstage exposed to guests- all to "accommodate" guests.

Open the damn shuttered restaurants to start with. That would result in less congestion and happier guests.

And if this is really all about fireworks viewing, maybe they should shoot them off in the parking lot instead of changing Magic Kingdom to look like one.

prfctlyximprct

I hope so. I was there a week and a day ago (last Monday) and the alternate route was open. It was totally unnecessarily opened, it was empty back there and Main Street was not unusually packed. I also hated it as it exposed guests to backstage areas, which show that the Main Street stores are just facades and it shows cast members on their breaks. I have never been so abruptly taken out of the magic before, and I'm a cast member so I've seen it all.

Boo this makes me really depressed.

WDW1974

That's interesting to know.

What's the likelihood the trees will be big enough to see from Main Street though? I know they won't as big as they once were, but I'm hoping it'll look better than the mess we have now:

11371L.jpg

It's just so soulless.

Yes. Like an O-town outlet mall with a fake castle.

it used to be so beautiful ... trees down MSUSA and a shady oasis in the Hub that twinkled at night more than the typical 18-year-old CM fresh off the farm ... oh yeah, Walmarted all the way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom